Author Topic: Bedford JJL HKX553V  (Read 2690 times)

Offline harz99

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 0
  • Former 1940's petrol engine Canadian Ford in NZ
Bedford JJL HKX553V
« on: August 30, 2008, 07:55:10 PM »
Regrettably this last surviving example of this vehicle appears to have been partially converted into either a motorhome or day bus type vehicle.

Latest photo from the rally scene can be found here:-

http://stevekempbuses.fotopic.net/p52634807.html

If anybody knows any more I would value an update, please.

delsons

Re: Bedford JJL HKX553V
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 08:51:26 PM »
This is sad, and makes one ponder upon what might have been, if General Motors had not cut and run from Luton. The JJL, fully developed, could have been a best seller.

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 178
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:52:16 AM »
Regrettably this last surviving example of this vehicle appears to have been partially converted into either a motorhome or day bus type vehicle.

Latest photo from the rally scene can be found here:-

http://stevekempbuses.fotopic.net/p52634807.html

If anybody knows any more I would value an update, please.
Doug
The following has been lifted from the bedford vehicle newsgroup which I used to own until a short time ago.
The JJL was the subject of a very long thread following a posting of a photo of it with the curtains etc fitted.
Most comments being aimed from people who were unable or would not had purchased the vehicle anyway. IE telling someone what to do with their own property.
Following the purchase of the JJL by Ralph Jagger, John Wakefield spoke to him and the following is what he said.
"In a conversation with Ralph Jagger at the time he bought it he assured me that he would not do any conversion that could not be reversed so the vehicle could be put back to a bus. The point is Mike, no one else wanted it, it went from Rambler to Doug Eley of Peterborough who continued to rally it and maintain it as a bus, but when he sold out his bus business to Goodman of Peterborough t/a Aardvark, then things started to go wrong, they repainted it, used it on service for a bit before laying it up & then tried to sell it for a high price. If it had not gone to the Jagger's it would probably have stayed with Aardvark & rotted away, or ended up with travellers.
No one else seemed interested. If a windscreen beaks its the end of the road for it as there are no replacements. I suppose with hind site the best place would be the Vauxhall Heritage Centre, but then they do not have space & are now only interested in cars."

Hope that puts your mind at rest.
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline harz99

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 0
  • Former 1940's petrol engine Canadian Ford in NZ
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 02:01:07 PM »
Thanks Richard, it does to a certain extent - do you have a link to the thread you mentioned as I guess it would be interesting reading (for me anyway)?

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 178
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 05:42:54 PM »
Thanks Richard, it does to a certain extent - do you have a link to the thread you mentioned as I guess it would be interesting reading (for me anyway)?
You will need to join the Bedford vehicles newsgroup mate Bedford-vehicles-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to access the thread.
Richard
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 407
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 09:23:53 PM »
As an update to this thread 12 years on HKX553V was sold by Mrs Jagger after her husband (Ralph) died in 2017, in fact he died at South Cerney rally while exhibiting the JJL. Mrs Jagger retained the JJL until June 2018 when it was sold to a Henry Pratt of Aylesbury for what purpose I do not know, but Mrs Jagger seems to think Mr Pratt was forming a museum. Looking on Flickr there do not appear to be any pictures of HKX553V after is last rally appearance at South Cerney in August 2017. According to the DVLA web site it is taxed until January 2021. I would appreciate any news of it