Author Topic: Apple vs Microsoft  (Read 10128 times)

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1573
  • -Receive: 213
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Apple vs Microsoft
« on: September 07, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »
Here it is in all its glory  ;D

Brilliant, Adam!

Nice to see you using the 'Grab' facility on your Mac.

I guess you wanted to show us the address bar in the view which you posted but (and I betcha know all of this already) if you use the shortcut cmd+shift+4 you can drag cross-hairs over any bit of the screen which you want to capture, with the result being saved as 'Picture 1.png, Picture 2.png, etc to the desktop.

I especially like it for grabbing maps from Google Maps, Multimap etc and printing them as I want to see them, not with a load of adverts or web addresses, etc.

(Depending on versions of the Mac OS the images could be saved in png, jpeg, or pdf format, I think. And anyway, 'Preview' will open export them and export them as other formats.)

Her's an example:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:48:25 AM by TCD813 »
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Adam Dowling

Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 11:45:54 AM »
Didn't know about that keyboard shortcut actually, cheers. :)

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 11:53:20 AM »
Didn't know about that keyboard shortcut actually, cheers. :)

Glad to help: I see you've used it already!

If you've followed the link on my post (and I betcha already did) you'll find a shedload of useful shortcuts.

Well, some of them I find useful; some of them other people will find useful.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »
For those of us with Apple machines, or perhaps giving support to those with Apple's.

I know it's the Cambridge area and all that, and the percentage of us is higher than most other areas!
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »
... I know it's the Cambridge area and all that, and the percentage of us (with Apples) is higher than most other areas!

Agreed, Suzy.

It's just sad that there are many people who wrongly assume that if you use anything other than a PC running Microshaft Windaz and any other browser than Internet Exploiter...
Errrr, what's a 'browser'? I ain't heard of one of them. I don't think there is one on my PC.
... then you have to be unbelievably geeky.

My wife and I chose to have Macs over 10 years ago and have never regretted it.

We did so because - to a far greater extent than any PC running Microshaft Windaz - they work straight out of the box; they're not complicated to set up; they're easy to work on; and they tend to do exactly what you want and are expecting them to do.

This means that my wife, a graduate working at Anglia Ruskin University who nevertheless has dyspraxia and a degree of dyslexia, can do things easily on the Mac that those without these conditions often struggle to do on a PC.

Adam Dowling

Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 12:25:23 PM »
... I know it's the Cambridge area and all that, and the percentage of us (with Apples) is higher than most other areas!

Agreed, Suzy.

It's just sad that there are many people who wrongly assume that if you use anything other than a PC running Microshaft Windaz and any other browser than Internet Exploiter...
A favourite trick of mine on the school windows PC's  (and on my old win-doze pc as well) was to edit the desktop icon to read "Internet Exploder". :-[
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 12:29:48 PM by Adam D »

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 12:34:14 PM »
Agreed, Suzy.

Yes, I used to work in a helldesk building with 695 out of 700 thinking that way.
It was interesting to have the callers phone up and say "I'm using a mac", and I'd ask "OK, which version of Mac OS are you using?"
"Erm, don't know...?"

50% did know, however.
48% found out, after I told them how to find out.
2% were just rude about it. "It's an iMac" or something. Might as well tell me you're sitting on a chair, TBH.

p.s. Someone else already owns Microshaft Internet Exploiter...

p.p.s. If someone left their PC unlocked, they'd usually come back to find someone had ran a little javascript with Barbie, Noddy, and sometimes other sites all over it...  8)

Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 12:41:58 PM »
... I used to work in a helldesk building

I like that 'helldesk'.

delsons

Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »
You Mac people can feel smug. I've just had to buy a new PC because the old one refused to run peripherals without freezing up. Now I have to obtain the appropriate modem to get on the internet (we're still on slow dial up broadband here). Sadly, I have to stick with Micrs-t because Serif don't do the programmes for Apple Mac that I use. I am still stuck using my old machine for emails. Think about us poor s*ds occasionally.

Adam Dowling

Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 02:34:56 PM »
You Mac people can feel smug. I've just had to buy a new PC because the old one refused to run peripherals without freezing up. Now I have to obtain the appropriate modem to get on the internet (we're still on slow dial up broadband here). Sadly, I have to stick with Micrs-t because Serif don't do the programmes for Apple Mac that I use. I am still stuck using my old machine for emails. Think about us poor s*ds occasionally.
Sounds like what happened to my old pc.
It started with the sound card not working, then the keyboard and eventually the graphics card!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 02:54:48 PM »
You Mac people can feel smug. I've just had to buy a new PC because the old one refused to run peripherals without freezing up. Now I have to obtain the appropriate modem to get on the internet (we're still on slow dial up broadband here). Sadly, I have to stick with Micrs-t because Serif don't do the programs for Apple Mac that I use. I am still stuck using my old machine for emails. Think about us poor s*ds occasionally.

Oh, I do!

;D  :D   ::)  :P  ;D  :D   ::)  :P  ;D  :D   ::)  :P  ;D  :D   ::)  :P  ;D  :D   ::)  :P  ;D  :D   ::)  :P  ;D  :D   ::)  :P

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 02:55:14 PM »
Sorry: that was tasteless, wasn't it?

On a more serious point, the latest Intel core duo based iMacs will run Microshaft Windoze in parallel to Mac OSX, which means that you can benefit from all of the Mac's features and ease of use for most applications, mail, internet browsing design, word-processing then switch - without a restart - to Windoze for those applications which insist on that OS.

For those interested, the very nice people at the Apple Store, Cambridge in the Grand Arcade can explain how.

And - bonus point - for those of us in education, there is a discount off all Apple hardware and software upon reasonable proof.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 03:07:35 PM by TCD813 »

Adam Dowling

Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 03:10:12 PM »

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 144
  • -Receive: 129
Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 03:28:14 PM »
At the moment there is only one thing this thread is lacking, which is a Linux user... do we have any?

Sadly my computer is infected with Vista  :P :'(

Offline samw

• Forum Technical Support
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 47
    • Flickr
Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 03:43:58 PM »
At the moment there is only one thing this thread is lacking, which is a Linux user... do we have any?

Here I be *raises hand*
Best choice I made - things are so simple once you know how (simple to follow instructions) no viruses - and the very best part is it is free!

And we appear to be completely off topic!

SW
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 93
Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »
At the moment there is only one thing this thread is lacking,

Buses??

delsons

Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 03:53:52 PM »
SW

Fascinating little discussion, though, and my hero, Dr. Johnson, took the view that intelligent conversation, albeit in cyberspace here, is the lubricant of civilised society - so there, DGH! We'll talk about buses another time. (Are you still carrying standing loads from Somersham, incidentally, or has Cockroach finally got its act together?)

delsons

Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 04:00:33 PM »
On a more serious point, the latest Intel core duo based iMacs will run Microshaft Windoze in parallel to Mac OSX, which means that you can benefit from all of the Mac's features and ease of use for most applications, mail, internet browsing design, word-processing then switch - without a restart - to Windoze for those applications which insist on that OS.

I wish I had known that before shelling out for a new PC. You must take a course in clairvoyance, TCD, so that you can predict those occasions when lesser mortals (PC users) like me can be released from our flat earths.

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 22
Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 04:48:14 PM »

Here I be *raises hand*
Best choice I made - things are so simple once you know how (simple to follow instructions) no viruses - and the very best part is it is free!

SW

Hello Sam,

I've been interested in switching to one of the Linux distros, but none of them seem to have easy to understand ways of installing drivers for my Belkin usb wireless adapter :(. Also, I'd need to be able to 'easily' (importantly too) recognise my Sky router, and my wife's Vista laptop...

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
Re: Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 05:25:32 PM »
... Someone else already owns Microshaft Internet Exploiter...

Are you thinking of Microshaft Winblows 98, Suzy?

Offline samw

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 05:45:24 PM »
Hello Sam,

I've been interested in switching to one of the Linux distros, but none of them seem to have easy to understand ways of installing drivers for my Belkin usb wireless adapter :(. Also, I'd need to be able to 'easily' (importantly too) recognise my Sky router, and my wife's Vista laptop...

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

Hi Bob,
Ubuntu is by far the easiest (and probably most popular) for new users. There are many pieces of software and scripts out there to install software, codecs and of course wireless cards. I don't know whether Belkin is supported out of the box, but there is a piece of software called NDISWrapper which uses the Windows Drivers for your card. I take it you want to share files from Vista to your PC? That I believe works out of the box; if you want to do it the other way round you have to install another package (software = package) which will allow you to do that (I believe if you try to share a folder the system will automatically install what's needed)

HTH
SW
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support

Adam Dowling

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 06:46:21 PM »
While on this topic, I would say the worst bit of software I have on my computer at the moment is Microsoft Office.
It just seems so clunky and irritating to use compared to everything else.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 09:25:10 AM »
While on this topic, I would say the worst bit of software I have on my computer at the moment is Microsoft Office.

I don't use it at all.

I have Apple's iWork and also NeoOffice (which is a version of Open Office for the Mac - and is free).

Offline samw

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 09:29:08 AM »

I don't use it at all.

I have Apple's iWork and also NeoOffice (which is a version of Open Office for the Mac - and is free).

I believe Openoffice is now native for both Intel and PPC Macs (PPC is a version behind however)

SW
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 05:34:02 PM »
I don't use it at all.
I believe Openoffice is now native for both Intel and PPC Macs (PPC is a version behind however)
SW

Thanks for that, Sam. I'll take another look at Openoffice. We have two Intel core duo based iMacs. Last time I looked though it had to be used via X11, which I have, but which made for a less friendly interface and more difficulties in dragging and dropping stuff between applications.

Yeah, I've just looked at the OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X page and it's still via X11.

So I'll probably stick to a mixture of Apple's iWork and NeoOffice for now.

Offline samw

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 05:35:11 PM »
Ah, I thought it had become native now...
That must be planned for version 3 then!

Sam
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 09:43:23 PM »

Sam

Incidentally, Sam, do you have Apple's iWork?

Offline samw

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 10:06:29 PM »

Sam

I'm not a Mac user unfortunately! I use a PC with Ubuntu Linux and a Laptop with Ubuntu and XP Dual Booted (have to run some computing software for college which isn't Linux friendly!) However, if anyone wants to donate me a Mac to play with I will be more than grateful!

SW
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 07:18:47 AM »
I'm not a Mac user unfortunately! I use a PC with Ubuntu Linux and a Laptop with Ubuntu and XP Dual Booted (have to run some computing software for college which isn't Linux friendly!) However, if anyone wants to donate me a Mac to play with I will be more than grateful!

Sorry, Sam; I was tired. I had read your posts. I was mixing you up with Adam.

Offline samw

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 07:20:40 AM »
You're forgiven!
I didn't know if my post had gone through; just as I pressed post the forum fell over!

Sam
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support