Author Topic: Busway Article  (Read 3896 times)

linkyork

Busway Article
« on: September 15, 2008, 05:33:30 PM »

Offline David Beardmore

• Bouncing
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Busway Article
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 10:07:36 AM »
Nice to see a professional journalist from a dedicated transport magazine can make mistakes; it makes the rest of us feel mortal.
ELY to St Ives indeed!

Dave.

delsons

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 11:14:41 AM »
Nice to see a professional journalist from a dedicated transport magazine can make mistakes; it makes the rest of us feel mortal.
ELY to St Ives indeed!

He is not entirely wrong, although he is rather misleading. There was a Great Eastern line from Ely to St. Ives via Stretham, Wilburton, Haddenham, Sutton, Earith Bridge and Bluntisham, which joined up with the GE St. Ives - Cambridge line. However, the St. Ives  - Ely section closed to passengers in 1931, though freight traffic survived until October 1964, when the line was closed. I imagine the author of that piece has drawn his dodgy historical conclusions from an old Great Eastern map, as the other railway lines from St. Ives were joint with the Great Northern.

delsons

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:24:14 AM »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1462
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 03:13:57 PM »
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

delsons

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 11:37:55 AM »
It doesn't exactly bypass:
  • Histon Road/Victoria Road/Huntingdon Road/Castle Street junction
  • Milton Road/Elizabeth Way roundabout
  • Newmarket Road/Elizabeth Way roundabout
  • Four Lamps
  • Regent Street/Gonville Place/Hills Road/Lensfield Road junction ('Hide Park Corner')

Very true. One wonders if Mr. Menzies has set foot on the sections beyond the dedicated Busway. The Project Team will have to address the nonsense of the shared cycle and bus lane down Milton Road, and elsewhere, if the UNguided sections are to function effectively.

Offline alanv

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 37
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 08:10:09 PM »
The journey times detailed in the Busway transport assessment document were
From St. Ives to
Regional College 15 mins 56 secs
Science Park     17 mins 15 secs
City Centre       32 mins
Rail Station       39 mins 40 secs if a direct bus is operated

The idea was advanced that Histon Road would be the best route with there being a volume limit on the number of vehicles per period allowed South from the A14 roundabout junction. 

The loadings did assume that all the  housing developments would be built to the earliest  possible schedule!

Also the assumption that the A14 will be upgraded by 2014? must be receding due to the cost estimates doubling. I suspect only the Huntingdon part will be have priority owing to the state of the existing viaduct.
The Conservative politicians seem to be getting their retaliation in early and blaming Labour for the decisions that they may have to make in the future.

nigdip

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:36:15 PM »
The journey times detailed in the Busway transport assessment document were
From St. Ives to
Regional College 15 mins 56 secs
Science Park     17 mins 15 secs
City Centre       32 mins
Rail Station       39 mins 40 secs if a direct bus is operated

The idea was advanced that Histon Road would be the best route with there being a volume limit on the number of vehicles per period allowed South from the A14 roundabout junction. 

The loadings did assume that all the  housing developments would be built to the earliest  possible schedule!

Also the assumption that the A14 will be upgraded by 2014? must be receding due to the cost estimates doubling. I suspect only the Huntingdon part will be have priority owing to the state of the existing viaduct.
The Conservative politicians seem to be getting their retaliation in early and blaming Labour for the decisions that they may have to make in the future.

Very interesting in Theory ??  But, will it work to plan. I very much doubt it with the current economic and building situation. There's too much assumption and not enough FIRM guarantees?  I would love to be proved wrong for being sceptical, BUT....................

delsons

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 02:32:51 PM »
St. Ives - Cambridge in 32 minutes? So much for the "massive reduction in journey times" trumpeted by Ruth Kelly. H&D did the journey reliably in 30 minutes for many years.

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 495
  • -Receive: 69
  • Lovely Leyland Leopards :-)
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 04:49:53 PM »
For interest.....

I work on the Science Park at a sizeable organisation and did a straw poll in our office to see who would use the guided busway once live. Those that live close to or in towns/villages to be served by it came out as less than 10% of those asked would even consider swapping from their cars..... With ample free parking on the Science Park it would seem to be an uphill struggle to get people to change their habits. I then poised the same question and said would you use it if it were free to ride on and the total % I got increased to 15%.

We shall see in reality I guess.

delsons

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 07:09:17 PM »
I work on the Science Park at a sizeable organisation and did a straw poll in our office to see who would use the guided busway once live. Those that live close to or in towns/villages to be served by it came out as less than 10%..............

I am not surprised. It's a medical condition known as Clarkson's cretinism. Just queueing up in the evenings in Milton Road to get to the A14 interchange roundabout can take an eternity, and this is followed by the slow/stationary traffic situation at Girton interchange before the Huntingdon section of the A14 is reached. Yet the dummies would still rather sit for extended periods in their tin boxes than stoop to sample public transport.

Adam Dowling

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 07:16:36 PM »
I work on the Science Park at a sizeable organisation and did a straw poll in our office to see who would use the guided busway once live. Those that live close to or in towns/villages to be served by it came out as less than 10%..............

I am not surprised. It's a medical condition known as Clarkson's cretinism. Just queueing up in the evenings in Milton Road to get to the A14 interchange roundabout can take an eternity, and this is followed by the slow/stationary traffic situation at Girton interchange before the Huntingdon section of the A14 is reached. Yet the dummies would still rather sit for extended periods in their tin boxes than stoop to sample public transport.
Thats also not helped by a certain Mrs Thatcher who once said:
Any man over 30 who persists in taking the bus is a failure in life.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1462
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 09:38:04 AM »
Thats also not helped by a certain Mrs Thatcher who once said:
Any man over 30 who persists in taking the bus is a failure in life.

Good point, Adam. I remember her saying something like that. Some sources say the age was 26, that the wording was different...

But it certainly encapsulated her attitude.

I also remember Steve "shagger" Norris, then Conservative Transport Minister,  saying something about how people did not like sitting on buses and trains next to smelly people...
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

nigdip

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 08:44:26 PM »
Quite agree!!

Also, you get those people who think it is "beneath themselves" to ride on a bus. Buses, to them, are for the "low class" mortals [ie those who can't afford Roll Royces, Aston Martins, Ferraris, Bentleys, Jaguars, BMWs]. When I used to get them [high almightys] on my coach on a Private job for some "big" organisation, you could hear them say "Oh, I wouldn't normally ride on a vehicle such as this, I've got my Jaguar, its much more comfortable" However, to say, "Well I don't give a s*it if you ride with me or not on my coach, pal - please your blessed self!!" was usually my immediate thought!!. BUT, you just ignored the soppy Wally !!

The thing is, though, you'll never ever get some of them out of their cars!!  Its just too easy for them to drive to work - after all, they're warm and comfortable in their tin-cans. They're just NOT the type to "stoop as low" to use a bus!!  Or, the bus doesn't run where or when they want it??