Author Topic: Busway order confirmed at last  (Read 9765 times)

Offline asw909

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
Busway order confirmed at last
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:30:37 AM »
So, 10 Volvo B7RLE/Wright and 10 Scania N230UD/AD Enviro 400, all with leather seats, aircon and WiFi.

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/cambridge/news2_5553.html

(Should this have gone here or on the SiFens board, I wonder... ???)

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 495
  • -Receive: 69
  • Lovely Leyland Leopards :-)
Re: Busway order confirmed at last
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:32:26 AM »
hehe - just about to post this too - you beat me to it  :D

Interesting mix of vehicles given that Stagecoach don't normally order from Volvo these days. Leather seats too!

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 11:35:34 AM »
So, 10 Volvo B7RLE/Wright and 10 Scania N230UD/AD Enviro 400, all with leather seats, aircon and WiFi.

...or maybe in the Cambridgeshire County Council forum? Difficult one huh? Or maybe in the Whippet forum too (as they will also be involved I believe).

Sounds like we now need a dedicated Guided Busway forum perhaps Suzy?

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 01:08:38 PM »

...or maybe in the Cambridgeshire County Council forum? Difficult one huh? Or maybe in the Whippet forum too (as they will also be involved I believe).

Within Cambridgeshire County Council there is a sub-board for the guided busway. I will move us there now.

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 01:12:45 PM »
At first I was surprised by the leather seats and the wi-fi however thinking about it they make sense. They are likely to increase passenger numbers, and Stagecoach have tried out the use of leather seating in another part of the country wiht Goldiner I think.

Wi-fi will encourage people who find travel time a waste and the leather seats should encourage those who have a poor opinion of public transport. No doubt closer to the time there will be a big publicity campaign.

Now we just have to wait to see what Whippet order.

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 01:17:36 PM »
How about E912 guided DGH?  ;)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 01:48:20 PM »

There is already a guided busway board - but this seems about right.

Anyway, the Goldline spec is what has been trialled in Perth and Leamington - see www.stagecoachgoldline.com - although it is not the same as this, as it doesn't include Wi-Fi.
The spec of this sounds similar to the Scania's and newest Plaxton bodied coaches at Stagecoach Fife... the interior of the leather seats, Wi-Fi - but also POWER POINTS (useful for those of us who have a five-year old luggable PowerBook!)...

... have a look at this quick snatched shot of the inside of one of the Scania's...

Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline alanv

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 37
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 02:14:17 PM »
 First are operating Scanias with leather seats on the Chelmsford P&R service.
See http://colin-humphrey.fpic.co.uk/p40046574.html
I do not know about wi fi  etc.as it was not relevant to my informant, I would have to ask her grandson!

nigdip

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 08:44:49 PM »

Interesting mix of vehicles given that Stagecoach don't normally order from Volvo these days. Leather seats too!

Please then tell me what chassis are all the coaches they have received recently?????? I think you'll find all the 53xxx and 54xxx series are Volvo B7R or B12B

nigdip

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 08:50:07 PM »
How about E912 guided DGH?  ;)

Yeah, I've got an old pair or roller skates. We could mount them, one each side by his front wheels. Nothing like keeping the cost down, eh Dave??

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 142
  • -Receive: 124
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 01:24:37 AM »
I'm confused.  Do I read that it's only every 20 mins south of the centre?

nigdip

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 10:07:09 PM »
I'm confused.  Do I read that it's only every 20 mins south of the centre?

The statement said it was going to be a 10 minute service 0700-1900, and that the journey time from St Ives to  Cambridge Science Park would be 20 minutes duration.

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 08:06:10 AM »
Presumably every 10 minutes by Stagecoach PLUS those operated by Whippet?

delsons

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »
I am yet to be convinced that Whippet will use the Busway at all. I think that part of the reason why Scania and Volvo, rather than Dennis, have won the chassis orders for Stagecoach, is the pressure on delivery times. If Whippet really are determined to operate on the Busway, then the vehicle orders cannot be left in abeyance for much longer. Personally, I believe that Whippet will remain on the A14 with its Cambridge service, and I think that it is right to do so.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 142
  • -Receive: 124
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 12:42:56 PM »
I doubt it would ever have been in Whippet's interested to incur the cost of running on the busway when the benefits to the operator are uncertain, and I imagine that's only less the case now they'd be doing so against Stagecoach.

nigdip

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 07:50:04 PM »
Personally speaking, and thinking of the past Whippet vehicle purchasing events, I cannot see or don't believe they would have the necessary funds to buy brand NEW vehicles for the Busway. Also, surely they would have announced any involvement with the Busway by now, as Stagecoach have done already. No, I tend to agree with other members, in that they will carry on as now, and not get involved with the Busway? Nobody has really forecast how the Busway will "fare" [no pun intended!!] as regards passenger numbers. They hope people will use it, but there are no guarantees. Nobody will know until it gets up and running??

nigel.

Adam Dowling

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 08:00:07 PM »
I am curious about how much the council wants Whippets to run on the busway.
If they do then is there a chance of them subsidising the costs of purchasing vehicles?

(I don't really know much about the subsidy system, so apologies if this is a "dumb" question.
The same for the one below)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 08:03:41 PM by Adam D »

Adam Dowling

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 08:01:41 PM »

Please then tell me what chassis are all the coaches they have received recently?????? I think you'll find all the 53xxx and 54xxx series are Volvo B7R or B12B
I think you could say orders from Wright.
Apparently its the largest order they have ever received from Stagecoach!
Considering that, is there also a chance that SiF 21217 (KX57 MTE) could also be converted for use as a spare?
At the very least it would make Bob happy! ;D

nigdip

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 09:15:39 PM »

I think you could say orders from Wright.
Apparently its the largest order they have ever received from Stagecoach!
Considering that, is there also a chance that SiF 21217 (KX57 MTE) could also be converted for use as a spare?
At the very least it would make Bob happy! ;D

Certainly, 21217 could be converted for use as a spare. Theres no reason why it cannot be - it would only need a conversion kit and some time in the workshop for it to be fitted. Subject, of course, to costing etc.

Nigel.

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 08:54:34 AM »
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:58:08 AM by Bristol RE »

delsons

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 04:15:34 PM »
I am curious about how much the council wants Whippets to run on the busway.
If they do then is there a chance of them subsidising the costs of purchasing vehicles?

Given the present state of the world banking system, and the precarious position of many local authority deposits in Iceland, I imagine that any prospect of subsidies will be as remote as another galaxy.

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 07:15:09 PM »
Interesting this - I've just been pointed in this threads direction.

As I understand it Whippet will be operating 25% of the services on the guided busway. Each operator will be allocated slots and then run in those times. I am also under the impression that the service will be subsidized by the council with them keeping the revenue and the operators being paid to operate the service (at least for the first 3 years). This could all be total rubbish but it's just my understanding.

As for Whippet vehicle orders - we'll I could tell you but then I'd have to shoot you!!

nigdip

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 10:15:07 PM »
Interesting this - I've just been pointed in this threads direction.

As I understand it Whippet will be operating 25% of the services on the guided busway. Each operator will be allocated slots and then run in those times. I am also under the impression that the service will be subsidized by the council with them keeping the revenue and the operators being paid to operate the service (at least for the first 3 years). This could all be total rubbish but it's just my understanding.

As for Whippet vehicle orders - we'll I could tell you but then I'd have to shoot you!!

Well if thats the case, Whippet will surely need at least 5 or 6 suitable vehicles to operate their 25% of the service??.
As for it being subsidized and the council keeping the revenue, I cannot comment on that, safe to say that obviously, somewhere along the line [again no pun intended], the Busway will need to pay for itself ie the money spent to build it needs to be recovered/repaid somehow(?)
Now, regarding Whippet vehicle orders - you'd better shoot me?? - BUT, no disrespect to Whippets, can they afford or have the funds for 5 or 6 NEW vehicles, or as an option will they lease them??  Come on Dave, squeal and put me out of my misery!!! :P :P ;) ;D

Offline alanv

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 37
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 10:50:50 PM »
The basis of operations was projected as
a) the operators buy the vehicles which have an assumed life of 12 years
b) it is assumed that the patronage builds up during the first 2 years
c)the revenue is about 20% in excess of the fleet operating costs initially but does not cover the fleet capital costs but will by year 3
d) the guideway maintenance costs will not be covered  by the revenue costs for the early years but will be met from the grant
e) there will be section 106 money from the builders of Northstowe and increased patronage from the residents of Northstowe to pay back the capital costs of the guideway and the increased fleet capital costs.
This assumption must be questioned considering he present economic position.

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 10:00:52 AM »

Now, regarding Whippet vehicle orders - you'd better shoot me?? - BUT, no disrespect to Whippets, can they afford or have the funds for 5 or 6 NEW vehicles, or as an option will they lease them??  Come on Dave, squeal and put me out of my misery!!! :P :P ;) ;D

Sorry Nigel I think the info would be to commercially sensitive at this time, I don't want to get the sack.

delsons

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 02:29:13 PM »
We mustn't pressure Dave for this information. It will appear in due course, if only because the Busway is expected to open within the next six months. This short timescale must surely limit Whippet's options in respect of vehicle orders, unless a commitment has already been made and kept secret, pending details emerging of the Stagecoach order. Now that we do know the SiH position, I personally feel that the Stagecoach specifications are well OTT for a journey of around 30 minutes from St. Ives, perhaps an hour from Huntingdon. Perhaps the powers that be at Perth think that this high spec. will win over the CASTIRON crowd. We shall see. As for the prospect of Section 106 money from the Northstowe developers, and the anticipated increased patronage from this as yet phantom eco town, I trust that nobody is holding his or her breath.

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 04:07:28 PM »
We mustn't pressure Dave for this information. It will appear in due course, if only because the Busway is expected to open within the next six months. This short timescale must surely limit Whippet's options in respect of vehicle orders, unless a commitment has already been made and kept secret, pending details emerging of the Stagecoach order. Now that we do know the SiH position, I personally feel that the Stagecoach specifications are well OTT for a journey of around 30 minutes from St. Ives, perhaps an hour from Huntingdon. Perhaps the powers that be at Perth think that this high spec. will win over the CASTIRON crowd. We shall see. As for the prospect of Section 106 money from the Northstowe developers, and the anticipated increased patronage from this as yet phantom eco town, I trust that nobody is holding his or her breath.

I don't think anything will win over the CASTIRON crowd, or the 'puff puff brigade' as my wife calls them.  You only have to look at their estimated costs of a heavy rail link between Huntingdon and Cambridge to appreciate that reality is not their strongest point.

nigdip

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 05:46:08 PM »

Far from it, I'm not trying to pressurise him. However, I suggest he doesn't make a " leading" comment, as he did, because there's always someone, like myself, who will pick up on it!! Personally, I have been entrusted with some sensitive info, but I have been asked NOT to reveal anything until it is public knowledge.  Otherwise, KEEP STUMM !!!! ;) ;)

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 166
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 08:32:26 PM »
Who remembers that roadshow that went around Cambridge some years ago when they first started to flog the busway? Lots of hot air and business speak etc was said and we were going to get the state of the art transportation scheme using vehicles like this.

These photos were taken outside the guildhall.
How things have changed!
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Adam Dowling

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 08:40:24 PM »
Those pictures remind me of the Wright Streetcar (ftr), except that is made by Irisbus.