Author Topic: Ipswich Park and Ride - Operator Change  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
Ipswich Park and Ride - Operator Change
« on: October 08, 2008, 06:14:47 PM »
Today I found out that when First take over the operation of Ipswich Park and Ride that it seems all smartcard users will have to be either given new smartcards or have them updated as, due to the data protection act the information stored on them cannot be passed to the new operator. It seems there will be some long queues in users trying to get them set up again. Seems rather silly, as the service is operated for Suffolk County Council you would have thought the data could have been passed across.

delsons

Re: Ipswich Park and Ride - Operator Change
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:53:31 PM »
It certainly does seem daft, as the data that apparently cannot be passed across will be identical to the data that First will obtain on its own behalf. Jonathan Swift and George Orwell would have relished this absurdity.

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Ipswich Park and Ride - Operator Change
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 09:22:15 PM »
It certainly does seem daft, as the data that apparently cannot be passed across will be identical to the data that First will obtain on its own behalf. Jonathan Swift and George Orwell would have relished this absurdity.
Not only that but the system to ensure customers don't loose journeys involves an element of trust. I was advised to keep the last ticket before the change over as that would be used to input the number of journeys left on the card after the change.

I'm only working three days in Ipswich so mine could potentially be from the Wednesday, how do they or I prove that I didn't make journeys later in the week. There will also be some people who's last ticket maybe a week or so beforehand if they went on holiday.