Author Topic: Bus stop consultation  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
Bus stop consultation
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:05:57 PM »
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:28:35 PM by Martin »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1462
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Re: Bus stop consultation
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 10:20:31 AM »
That's very thorough, thanks.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 07:21:56 PM »
Details have been announced for the consultation regarding the required bus stops for the Guided Busway when services commence in Spring 2009...

I downloaded the pdfs on Friday and I've now had time to look at them in detail.

Oh, dear, oh dear: I think that Cambridgeshire County Council have got things horribly wrong.

It would seem that the only services to use the existing Short Street/Emmanuel Road/New Square stops in the future will be the guided buses; all current inbound/outbound stopping services will stop in either in Jesus Lane, on Maid's Causeway or on Victoria Avenue. This will be a horrible inconvenience for shoppers heading for The Grafton/ Fitzroy Street/Burleigh Street. I suspect that this will put further pressure on the Emmanuel Street/Drummer Street stops.

Moreover, the engineering drawings for the re-modelled Short Street/Emmanuel Road/New Square stops appear to show the existing bus bays (including the 'pit of doom' on the inbound side) used for new paving and shelters. There would seem be little room for current inbound/outbound stopping services to pass a pair of stationary CGB vehicles. One can envisage long queues of inbound vehicles in Short Street and outbound vehicles in Emmanuel Road.

Inbound CGB via Histon Road services would use a new stop in Round Church Street alongside Park Street car park. The engineering drawings for the new stop in Round Church Street seem to allow no possibility of any current inbound stopping services passing a stationary CGB vehicle.

CGB vehicles heading for the railway station, Addenbrookes, Trumpington will be required to use the currently abandoned stop in St Andrew's Street/Regent Street outside Maplin's: a good spot for road congestion. There will be no shelter; in rainy weather you can lurk under the projecting upper storeys of these buildings.

Whilst northern CGB routes will terminate in Drummer Street north-south through CGB routes will not really have a city centre stop.

However, the oddest proposals is for re-located X5 stops: inbound on the north side of Maid's Causeway; outbound at a new stop on Victoria Avenue... Has someone not realised that: "cross county X5 is a limited stop service calling only at the places shown in the timetable ... and additionally in Cambridge at Northampton Street and Madingley Road at Bulstrode Gardens..." (SiB X5 leaflet) ie it does not currently stop at Short Street/Emmanuel Road/New Square. Do SiB want or need these stops? Has anyone from CCC asked SiB?

Moreover, just think of the implications of that proposed inbound X5 stop: on the north side of Maid's Causeway. This implies a permanent inbound re-routing via Newmarket Road, East Road and Parkside. Now I know that a few X5s have taken that route, but I always assumed that this was because of a faulty transponder and/or a driver who had not been given retractable bollard training and/or a journey so far ahead of time that the long way round was needed.

Expect a brouhaha when this is implemented, or earlier if the Cambridge News reporters bother to read the pdfs.

In the meantime, if other forum members have had a chance to look through the CCC pdfs, I wonder what they think of the proposals.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 142
  • -Receive: 124
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 10:30:35 PM »
Urk.  Me no like.

There is space available around New Square, and I think they should have the guts to say they're using some of it.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 09:42:37 AM »
Moreover, just think of the implications of that proposed inbound X5 stop: on the north side of Maid's Causeway. This implies a permanent inbound re-routing via Newmarket Road, East Road and Parkside. Now I know that a few X5s have taken that route, but I always assumed that this was because of a faulty transponder and/or a driver who had not been given retractable bollard training and/or a journey so far ahead of time that the long way round was needed.

The X5 to Cambridge is intended to run this way, to drop off at the National Express coach stops, and it's in the timetable as doing so. Most drivers only do so on request, however. (This may or may not be "right", but as long as the stop is served if someone wants it).
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:21:46 AM »
The X5 to Cambridge is intended to run this way, to drop off at the National Express coach stops, and it's in the timetable as doing so. Most drivers only do so on request, however. (This may or may not be "right", but as long as the stop is served if someone wants it).

Thanks for that, Suzy, I hadn't realised.

But I have to say that it's not mentioned in the X5 timetable which I downloaded from the Stagecoach in Bedford timetable page. Are passengers meant to guess?

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 11:43:07 AM »
No, you are right, it's not in the printed timetable - although when the service changed to include that stop, mention was made.

As to how you know, on my last X5 journey, the taking over driver at Bedford asked passengers for each stop they wanted, i.e. Madingley Rd P&R (me!), Parkside for National Express (anyone saying they are continuing onto another National Express service is taken here), etc.

There are a few other bits about the X5 that aren't in the timetable, like all the through ticketing etc. - as well as saying "On request to driver" for Mad Rd P&R when heading to east, would be better said "On request to driver when leaving Bedford", as the drivers change at this point.

Mind you, back on topic, and I've been thinking about the basics of this scheme, whilst in the shower just now.

So, all the buses are to be removed from the bollard, to run via East Road instead? Is this to make all other routes unreliable, and make the GB seem better? You can see for yourself what the lights at Mill Road/Parkside/East Road do to the citi2... is that how all other routes are intended to be?
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 03:54:47 PM »

nigdip

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 08:35:44 PM »
It seems to me that whatever they do, will offend somebody!!??  Its a typical "You can't please all the people, all the time" situation. They're obviously trying to spread the load, so to speak, over all the "possible" stops. But, you know as well as I do, there will always be the moaners!! "Why did they do this? Why did they do that? They've made me walk further!" At least this time, the Council have had the commonsense to consult various people, and not just force it on people. I just hope that, after this consultation they listen to constructive criticism and come up with a Final Plan that is in everyones best interests?

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 12:12:40 AM »
Having seen the non-temporary looking bollards at the stop in New Square...  Hmph.

I don't think this has been well thought out, which is a shame when Cambridge's buses are doing so well and are at a time of such great opportunity.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 11:45:36 AM »
I think that these roadworks on Parkside, to the southeast of the X5 and NatEX stops and the layover bays, opposite the fire station are in connection with the guided busway city stops. (Can't find confirmation on the Cambridgeshire County Council website.)

But what's the triangular island with the bollard all about, then?

Edit (09/04/09) Now I've looked again I can answer my own question, I think: to keep buses on layover from encroaching on the stop.

PS
Note the 114 service, carting empty air around its convoluted route, as per most times that I've observed it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:50:49 PM by TCD813 »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 11:50:07 AM »
Google Maps appears to conform that the roadworks are in connection with the guided busway city stops.

Adam Dowling

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 09:22:26 PM »
Services to relocate to Victoria Avenue east side (new stop)
  • Stagecoach PnR 99 (before 0900)
  • Whippet 114
Not quite sure about these two.
The 99/114 headed up there for a short while when the East Rd works were carried out- does the council still think they use that routing? If this is the new plan, then thats going to be fun for anyone on either route who wants to go to the Grafton.

Adam Dowling

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »
That long disused stop on Short St was being dug up and relaid on Monday, as was the one across the road. Seems that both of the laybys are being filled in and the stops are going to be in the road, as these photos show...Its going to be fun getting through there when buses have stopped on both sides of the road!!

Note also the slightly err unusual edit to one of the warning signs in the first photo!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:18:42 PM by Adam D »

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 07:22:26 PM »
Closing off the layby seems like a strange thing to do.  ???

The only thing I can remember really being wrong with that stop was the one foot deep trench lined with bits of the bottom of buses.

I think the solution would have been to fill in the hole.