Author Topic: School bus  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 542
    • ScotBus
School bus
« on: December 14, 2007, 05:23:29 PM »
Iveco Irisbus PN 57 CVG in white with lots of Suffolk CC lettering was spotted in Newmarket yesterday.
Is this owned by the council? (if not, this will get moved).
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

jdtaylor

Re: School bus
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 01:39:03 PM »
I don't know, I do believe Suffolk do tender out their services to subcontractors, and it could even be Burtons or someone like that is operating it on behalf of the Council, it could be very similar to what Cambridgeshire does but with Suffolk branding used on almost all buses.

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 176
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 02:49:08 PM »
Iveco Irisbus PN 57 CVG in white with lots of Suffolk CC lettering was spotted in Newmarket yesterday.
Is this owned by the council? (if not, this will get moved).
As far as I'm aware SCC operate their own fleet of coaches and have done so for a number of years.

PN57 CUJ and PN57 CUO are both seen arriving at last years Showbus.
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

nigdip

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 11:47:34 AM »
Hi all,

As Richard informs us, Suffolk County Council do own quite a large fleet of coaches for School Bus work. During the day some of threm fill in time by operating Swimmers Trips [ie from Schools to local swimming baths, if the school doesn't have a pool of their own] Also, they work day-trips from Schools to Museums [ie Duxford] and Theatres etc in conjunction with scholars studies/school activities. Another task for some of the fleet is to perform Suffolk CC sponsored local bus services, such as Market day services to Bury, Stowmarket, Ipswich etc that operate as a once/twice daily, or once weekly. These operate as a social requirement for the more outlying villages. The coaches are based at Rougham (nr Bury), Claydon (nr Needham Mkt) and at Ipswich Buses depot, amongst others.mainly using the County Council Maintenance Yards.
However, there are a few operators that do schoolbus work for Suffolk CC, such as Beestons and Galloways plus others, as I have seen them operate around Framilingham, Stowmarket etc

Tony

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 12:18:58 PM »
It might be an idea if other Local Authorities had some of their own buses to do School Transport duties etc.  It might stop them using those operators who seem to be always in trouble through one thing or another.

nigdip

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 03:36:09 PM »
Yes Tony, good point. It would certainly weed out any "iffy" vehicles. My only observation about an operation such as Suffolk's is that its slightly unusual to see Local Authorities getting involved and owning their own vehicles considering how much capital expense must be tied-up in the fleet and paying the necessary staff [drivers/fitters] Obviously the "cheaper" option, as other CCs choose, would be to hire it out to private operators which would take the Capital Cost of the Vehicles out of the equation, hence paying for fuel/mileage/driver/time only.
But, all credit to Suffolk CC. They seem to have started with a modest, sometimes a bit aged fleet, but have now amassed a sizeable modern fleet over the last 3 years, going by the vehicle registrations. I'm really surprised & impressed how big this fleet is, testamount to the belief/hard work by the staff that this is the correct way to do it and succeed with it. From my observations, drivers are regular to a route, which helps to set up a rapport between drivers/school staff/parents and the scholars themselves. Suffolk CC must regard this as a more reliable/secure method of operation.