Author Topic: Linux  (Read 1688 times)

stagecoach106

Linux
« on: January 20, 2009, 12:22:26 PM »
im buying a new laptop and i saw one i like but it runs Linux but me being me i do not know what Linux is like  so if some one could give me there coments on it would be most helpful

delsons

Re: Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:27:04 PM »
I would be interested in some informed opinion on this matter, too. I suspect the one major difficulty for the home user might be the limited availability of software.

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 01:09:58 PM »
I like it, but I've been in IT for more than two decades now. There is a very steep learning curve to begin with, you'll end up having to configure a lot of software with text editors, and the applications that are available tend to appeal more to computing enthusiasts. It is rewarding to work with, if you're reasonably computer literate to start with and you're prepared to stick with it for a while. If you are into serious gaming, or want mostly mainstream Windows software, or have limited time/patience and just want something to get started with for basic tasks, forget it.

Where Linux really comes into its own is in heavy duty business applications, where absolute reliability and speed are far more important than ease of use. Sadly there are too many anti-MS zealots who see it as a panacea for Windows' ills, which certainly it isn't. 

delsons

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 03:22:26 PM »
Thanks for that synopsis, Julia. My understanding was that Linux had greater relevance to business applications than to home use, and you have confirmed that impression. I must confess to being fed up with the vagaries of Microsoft - my nearly new Vista machine has its own irritating eccentricities - so I imagine that I will be going for the Apple Mac option next time round, and just grit my teeth (or possibly, by then, my dentures) over the extra cost.

I think, Jamie, on the strength of Julia's knowledge of these matters, you would be better advised to stick with Microsoft or, better still, if you can afford the higher outlay, an Apple Mac.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:31:07 PM by delsons »

Offline samw

• Forum Technical Support
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 47
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 04:53:02 PM »
For anyone wanting to give Linux a spin I highly recommend Ubuntu - there are millions of users; loads of user friendly features built in and loads of resources on the Internet. I use this on my main PC and hardly ever have any problems what so ever and on my laptop dual-booted with XP for those pieces of software only Windoze will run

Sam
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1265
  • -Receive: 195
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:39:44 PM »
There are some very cheap ultra-portables made by (amongst others) Asus (ePC) which run Linux.

They're pre-loaded with Firefox browser, e-mail client and Open Office word-processing/database/spreadsheet apps.

Might be worth a look.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

stagecoach106

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »
i have just got on with xp on i must say very good and from box to the web in about 5 mins regards jamie

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 08:56:08 PM »
Hello,

There is a version of Ubuntu that you can install on a Windows machine without needing to partition the hard drive etc, it's called Wubi, http://wubi-installer.org/index.php.

I'm currently beta-testing Windows 7, I must say that, after running Vista, I'm very impressed indeed...

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

delsons

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »
I'd be happy to go back to MS DOS after trying Vista! I had a super word processor/spreadsheet/database program called Pipedream way back then, and I wish it had become available in Windows.