Author Topic: A radical alternative?  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
A radical alternative?
« on: January 26, 2009, 10:15:11 PM »
From today's Cambridge Evening News

City monorail plan proposed

The crux of the article is that wealthy Cambridgeshire businessman Albert Gazeley thinks that a monorail running from the outskirts of the city serving a 10,000 multi-storey car park off the M11 to Addenbrookes, as well as the train and bus stations.

What does everyone think? I believe that radical solutions such as this are necessary to solve the problem of transport in Cambridge. According to the article it would cut surface traffic by 25% which is something the article argues the Guided Busway would not. It would solve the problem over the congestion that the Guided Busway will inevitably suffer through some sections.

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 88
Re: A radical alternative?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 10:25:15 PM »
Cue Simpsons in 3, 2, 1...

Adam Dowling

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 10:58:25 PM »
Problem is with the "radical" solutions is that most of the time they aren't very well thought out!

Anyone remember the underground bus link between the rail station and Drummer street?

Or perhaps the cable guided buses that could then mean that bus lanes could be narrowed? (not actually solving anything there, making the bus lanes any narrower would defeat the purpose of one entirely as you wouldn't actually fit a bus in it! ;))

I'm afraid I see this monorail system in pretty much the same light, impractical, ill thought out and most of all, expensive.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 142
  • -Receive: 124
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 12:07:27 AM »
Amazingly well thought out by someone with real knowledge of Cambridge's public transport.   ::)  I'm sure what's good for large overcrowded and densely populated cities like KL would really fit into Cambs nicely and not spoil it almost as much as extending the M11 to St Andrews Street would.

If I was to go for a less radical radical alternative, I'd suggest that, if they really wanted to, they could find space for trams. 

nigdip

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 08:27:49 PM »
My thoughts are that, in reality, it IS perhaps THE answer to the Cambridge Congestion. Believe it or not, if the streets are cluttered, what better idea than to go up above the buildings??  After all, there's PLENTY of space up there - Its not CLOGGED up!!??

What better way of travelling?  Electric Monorail in clear space up above the buildings, in CLEAN FRESH AIR!! No hold-ups?? A to B in minutes?

If it ever came about, even just for cross-city, I'd use it!!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1462
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:31:58 PM »
City monorail plan proposed ...

Hey, folks!

Don'cha jes' lerrrve the cute piccy of a 'monorail' wid' (get dis) two rails dat accompanies the article in the  Cambridge 'News'??!!!!!    ::)

(Lotsa brownie points if someone can identify the beastie in the piccy.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:35:48 PM by TCD813 »
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Adam Dowling

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 09:42:26 PM »
I find this part interesting..
"If monorails or light sky-rails were to be put into Cambridge, as was done in Sydney, Hong Kong, Thailand, and China, eventually almost all buses and the majority of the passenger cars would disappear."
Right so that means the purpose of the monorail (with two rails ::)) is so that Cambridge roads are free for people like Albert Gazely to drive along, who probably haven't been on a bus for over 20 years.
Also I'm doubtful that the duorail? birail? would be able to cater for those of us who live outside of Cambridge, thats why swapping our bus service for a train would never work! And before someone pipes up with "how about a transfer point on the city outskirts" well that causes more hassle which equals less people using the service!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:46:39 PM by Adam D »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 09:46:32 PM »
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

nigdip

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:39:54 PM »
City monorail plan proposed ...

Hey, folks!

Don'cha jes' lerrrve the cute piccy of a 'monorail' wid' (get dis) two rails dat accompanies the article in the  Cambridge 'News'??!!!!!    ::)

(Lotsa brownie points if someone can identify the beastie in the piccy.)

WELL!! What did you expect from The Local Comic??  Wouldn't even know what a monorail looked like? Let alone check any reference books/ PC databases for any interesting data??

delsons

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 06:56:50 AM »
The strongest argument against the reintroduction of trolleybuses is that of the intrusive appearance of the overhead lines. A monorail across the Cambridge skyline???........

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 09:18:08 PM »

delsons

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:11:12 AM »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
Re: A radical alternative? ..."Space-age pods"...
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 05:06:41 PM »
Here's the latest gee-whizz idea for Cambridge transport, from the Cambridge News:

Space-age pods could transform Cambridge.

Quote from: Cambridge News
A PIONEERING new transport system for Cambridge could see people riding in space-age pods ... award-winning designer Malcolm Buchanan... claims the ... city-wide system, which could see the pods travelling underground or on aerial tracks ... would do away with the need for a congestion charge...

"Space-age" indeed.  ::)

Offline chopper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 05:21:34 PM »
Pie in the sky stuff I think

Offline harz99

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 0
  • Former 1940's petrol engine Canadian Ford in NZ
Re: A radical alternative? ..."Space-age pods"...
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 05:25:05 PM »
Here's the latest gee-whizz idea for Cambridge transport, from the Cambridge News:

Space-age pods could transform Cambridge.

Quote from: Cambridge News
A PIONEERING new transport system for Cambridge could see people riding in space-age pods ... award-winning designer Malcolm Buchanan... claims the ... city-wide system, which could see the pods travelling underground or on aerial tracks ... would do away with the need for a congestion charge...

"Space-age" indeed.  ::)

Yes; and it's not even April 1st yet. ;)

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 09:03:50 AM »
Pie in the sky stuff I think

Shouldn't that be PYE in the sky, for Cambridge?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:10:09 AM by TCD813 »

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 09:06:51 AM »
I am beginning to wonder if the Cambridge News is running advance news stories ready for 1st April.  The 'space pod' concept followed the news that the police were worried about thieves using the busway.  I suggest that the boys in blue stop any vehicle that is 2.5 m wide with guide wheels and isn't a bus.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »
Futuristic pods fail to get expert on transport going

Quote from: Prof Marcial Echenique, from Cambridge University's department of architecture who has studied systems around the world
He said: "The idea of pods at an airport like Heathrow seems a good one, as an alternative to passengers waiting for buses to get them to and from the terminal, but I have serious doubts about whether pods would work in Cambridge.

Post edited by Administrators
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:56:53 PM by Suzy Scott »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 05:23:05 PM »
Marshall calls for a study into pod idea

Quote from: CEN
Jonathan Barker, Marshall's company secretary, urged transport chiefs to examine the 'Ultra-pods' idea to beat the congestion charge... Mr Barker, who also heads up Cambridge Futures, has called on the Cambridgeshire Transport Commission to look at the idea.

And some interesting responses from readers:

Quote from: vanessa dowell
This is new thinking for an intractable traffic problem in an ancient and beautiful city ...
Quote from: Andrew
Has someone here been sniffing the glue ? What a hairbrained idea...
Quote from: Mrs Edwards
Would the designer of this system like one of these pods travelling past his house - possibly at bedroom window level!!!!!!!!!!!! Cambridge is an historic city and I cannot see how such a scheme would fit in - perhaps more suited to Milton Keynes!!!
(Loved!! the!!! exclamation!!!! marks!!!!!!!!!)

And my personal favourite:
Quote from: Mark Allen
Strangely enough I seem to remember the same high tech method being used in Butlin's holiday camps. This really is cutting edge then.
Ouch!