Author Topic: Guided Busway effects and routing.  (Read 5819 times)

Adam Dowling

Guided Busway effects and routing.
« on: June 02, 2009, 08:10:42 PM »
I'm curious as to what effect the GB might have on many of the services in Cambridge and Hunts, especially the effects on Citi1/7 as they provide the only Addenbrookes-rail station-City Centre link  at present. Is there a chance, I wonder, that some services might miss out the rail station so they can focus on getting to Sawston, Duxford or wherever without getting overcrowded with short journey passengers? As for the Hunts end, it seems so far that the 45 will stay, while the 55 will get replaced by the busway.

Finally,  I've noticed that on Parkside a new stop has sprung up at the Parkside Pools end of the NatEx stops-in the shelter it proclaims "your guided bus will be stopping here soon."
Any idea what kind of route the GB services are taking through Cambridge?

Offline steve

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Guided Busway effects and routing.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »
Interesting topic, but what makes you think they'll divert citi 1/7 away from the station  -  will they really want full standing loads on the Guided Buses? Didn't I read that the Guided Buses won't be using every bus stop in the city too?

Adam Dowling

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:48:44 PM »
Interesting topic, but what makes you think they'll divert citi 1/7 away from the station  -  will they really want full standing loads on the Guided Buses? Didn't I read that the Guided Buses won't be using every bus stop in the city too?
The council for one will want to prove that the buses have high passenger levels-its an ideal way to do it!
In the case of the Citi7, huge problems are caused by routing it via the railway station, as the buses quickly become full meaning that anyone going to Saffron Walden will have to wait an hour for the next one! Making it miss out the station would be logical in my view, plus I often see a half full Citi1 leave the city centre with a overloaded Citi7 directly behind it-both heading towards the rail station!

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 67
  • -Receive: 568
    • ScotBus
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »
See http://angliabusforum.com/index.php?topic=1490.0

p.s. Off-topic, but reliability on the c7's isn't helped by those getting on at LRC only going to Addenbrookes bus stn, then getting off to go one stop on the P&R Green...  ;)
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 09:04:23 PM »
The council for one will want to prove that the buses have high passenger levels-its an ideal way to do it!
In the case of the Citi7, huge problems are caused by routing it via the railway station, as the buses quickly become full meaning that anyone going to Saffron Walden will have to wait an hour for the next one! Making it miss out the station would be logical in my view, plus I often see a half full Citi1 leave the city centre with a overloaded Citi7 directly behind it-both heading towards the rail station!
I would expect that most people wanting to travel rail station to Addenbrookes would choose a Guided Bus as they will provide a faster service. This should see a reduction in demand on Citi 1 and 7 - in my view.

Adam Dowling

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 09:11:53 PM »
See http://angliabusforum.com/index.php?topic=1490.0

p.s. Off-topic, but reliability on the c7's isn't helped by those getting on at LRC only going to Addenbrookes bus stn, then getting off to go one stop on the P&R Green...  ;)
I'm glad I don't have to go through that rigmarole anymore! :D

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2404
  • -Receive: 245
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 11:06:22 PM »
... I've noticed that on Parkside a new stop has sprung up at the Parkside Pools end of the NatEx stops-in the shelter it proclaims "your guided bus will be stopping here soon."
Any idea what kind of route the GB services are taking through Cambridge?

Yeah, I did see that somewhere, Adam. Forget where, though.

I'll try to remember/research it.

And what'll happen to the citi2 stop at that point?
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 164
  • -Receive: 197
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 12:19:20 AM »
Would I be right in thinking that the nature of the Cambridge Gateway scheme seems to suggest that they envisage non CGB through routes continuing to serve the station?

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 06:22:23 PM »
Would I be right in thinking that the nature of the Cambridge Gateway scheme seems to suggest that they envisage non CGB through routes continuing to serve the station?

Yes and a new access road will be built, joining Hills Road opposite Brooklands Avenue. It will be bus and cycle only (no HGVs no white-van-man, no cars, no taxis) enforced by retractable bollards.

As well as following my link you could also download full details in a pdf.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 07:34:19 PM »
If the answer I got in http://angliabusforum.com/index.php?topic=2207.0 is correct, then sadly the level of service on the busway is never going to be a substitute for any of the existing services from the railway station!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »
If the answer I got in http://angliabusforum.com/index.php?topic=2207.0 is correct, then sadly the level of service on the busway is never going to be a substitute for any of the existing services from the railway station!

Some of it may be speculation (rather than hard facts).

Now here's my speculation (rather than hard facts). The busway traffic will grow the public transport market: the existing services will still be needed.

Offline alanv

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 10:20:02 PM »
Do not forget that all GB bus stops have to have the kerb increased in height so that no kneelng is required as there is the danger that the guide wheels could be snapped off. This can also happen  if the GB has to pull in to a bus stop lay by.
I do not think that there is any desire to spend money increasing the height of bus stop kerbs all round Cambridge.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 10:35:08 PM »
I could be making this up, but I'm certain that didn't happen for all the stops served by the guidewheel fitted buses in Edinburgh?  If it had done it would have been a lot of work to a lot of stops for services that were only to run for a short length of time, as two routes served the guideway and one of them covered a circuitous route around a lot of Edinburgh.

Does anyone know for certain?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:46:57 AM by barryb »