Author Topic: Worlingham Parish Plan - Public Transport  (Read 1348 times)

Offline samw

• Forum Technical Support
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 51
    • Flickr
Worlingham Parish Plan - Public Transport
« on: June 26, 2009, 01:14:18 PM »
A questionnaire was circulated amongst the villagers of Worlingham. After about a year the results have come out. I have gone through the massive 100 page document and pulled out the information relating to bus travel.

The original document for anyone interested is here (Warning over 5mb in size!)

A PDF of public transport related issues is attached. To note is that when this was conducted the X2 was being run by B10M Plaxtons and Leyland Olympians; now they have B10Bs and Volvo Olympian Alexander Royales; still stepped but much less of a climb.

Slight shame that they highlighted all of the problems but didn't get responses from the companies!

Sam
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 665
  • -Receive: 134
Re: Worlingham Parish Plan - Public Transport
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 06:16:48 PM »
Thanks, Sam.  Interesting views.  I don't think people realise that low floor buses are less suitable for the mobile elderly than normal buses because of the large area at the front with fewer handholds and reduced lower deck seating capacity.  Low floor buses are great for buggies but very few wheel chair users use them.

The Alexander Royales are (were?) really good vehicles.  I haven't seen them with FEE but I have travelled on the Ensign vehicles of the same batch.

Steve

Offline samw

• Forum Technical Support
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 51
    • Flickr
Re: Worlingham Parish Plan - Public Transport
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 06:31:12 PM »
You're welcome.
People just want brand new vehicles and cheap fares. Unfortunately the town service probably takes nil fares on most days. Vehicle size is a problem, a Merc Vario is used on the towns, some places are nearly impossible to get round in a car. If they want the same seating capacity in a low floor vehicle is will have to be longer I would imagine. It has been done with an M780 Solo but it didn't last very long. I think a Plaxton Primo may have been round also once when we had an ex City-Clipper on loan over here.

The Royales are lovely vehicles, its a shame the 7 don't always do all 7 turns, the 4 NC Palatines often turn up which aren't as nice.

Sam
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support