Author Topic: Old terminus on Oundle Road?  (Read 3379 times)

Online Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
Old terminus on Oundle Road?
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:09:06 PM »
When C was driving us into Pb on Friday evening (from the west, we went north via Bedford and Sharnbrook), we passed an off-the-road bus stop when heading into Peterborough. Think it was the Oundle Road, probably after the business parks etc. (traveling east). Was this a terminus at one point? Also, what is the current "stop name" for this one? (Could see that it had Nene Valley Traveller lettering on the bus stop but we didn't pull in).

TIA
Suzy
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline Nat2

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 14
Re: Old terminus on Oundle Road?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:58:47 PM »
I think you might be referring to the stop known as "Orton Waterville, Cherry Orton Road (E-bound)", which is in a lay-by/slip road to Goldie Lane.

If so, I've no idea - but when I worked at Peterborough, I can't recall many people ever getting on/off here!

Offline harz99

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 0
  • Former 1940's petrol engine Canadian Ford in NZ
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:40:12 AM »
Stop as per Nat2's post has been there many years, at least since the Ferry Meadows country park was created and possibly well before.

I don't know for sure but as the layby already existed I would reckon that it was cheaper to have the stop in it than form a completely new layby on the main road as was done in the other direction (presumably because significant numbers of people may have be anticipated as alighting/boarding on this then busy single carriageway main road).

There are people on this forum who were with Eastern Counties at Peterborough before the 80s, hopefully one of them may have a good enough memory of the pre New Town times to give a better answer.

I don't think it was ever used as a terminus - when I operated the Sunday X65 we used the stop in Ferry Meadows for short workings, thus missing the above stop on return to Peterborough!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 08:42:24 AM by harz99 »

Offline Derrick Pancel

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:55:45 AM »
I think the old bus station in Peterborough was adjacent to where the County Court building is now, on Rivergate - I'm sure that other members of the forum will be able to confirm and possibly have photographs ?

Offline harz99

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Former 1940's petrol engine Canadian Ford in NZ
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:38:36 AM »
I think the old bus station in Peterborough was adjacent to where the County Court building is now, on Rivergate - I'm sure that other members of the forum will be able to confirm and possibly have photographs ?

It was, but what has that to do with the OP?

Offline Derrick Pancel

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 01:35:22 PM »
Perhaps it was slightly off topic in that the OP related to Oundle Road, but not in the context of old terminii and Eastern Counties pre-1980s in Peterborough ;)

Offline dennisdart

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 494
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:33:04 PM »
I have lived in Peterborough for over 50 years and cannot recall a bus terminus
in the area that is mentioned, and yes the old bus station as many people may remember
was in front of the open air swimming pool where the crown court now is.

It was commonly called the Bishops Road bus station and I spent many a happy hour with my camera
photographing all sorts of Eastern Counties vehicles plus the then express services
that passed through Peterborough - Lincolnshire road Car operated all the London services, whilst
United Automobile were once very common sights on the weekly Great Yarmouth and Clacton services.

We also had Barton from Stamford, United Counties from Kettering, and many Independants.

I'll stop now before you start getting bored....

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 166
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 09:38:36 PM »
I have lived in Peterborough for over 50 years and cannot recall a bus terminus
in the area that is mentioned, and yes the old bus station as many people may remember
was in front of the open air swimming pool where the crown court now is.

It was commonly called the Bishops Road bus station and I spent many a happy hour with my camera
photographing all sorts of Eastern Counties vehicles plus the then express services
that passed through Peterborough - Lincolnshire road Car operated all the London services, whilst
United Automobile were once very common sights on the weekly Great Yarmouth and Clacton services.

We also had Barton from Stamford, United Counties from Kettering, and many Independants.

I'll stop now before you start getting bored....
please do carry on mate.
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline Derrick Pancel

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 09:50:35 PM »
I'll second that.

stagecoach106

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 10:07:06 PM »
i  third that

kind regards
jamie

Offline dennisdart

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 494
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 05:24:41 PM »
Just to clarify, although I have been in Peterborough for over 50 years, I only
reached bus pass age at the weekend. Some of you youngsters may consider
this old, but you wait! Due to this significant birthday I was only able to make
a pit stop on Sunday at Sacrewell, because of other committments.

Just a few more thoughts, when I mentioned Barton in my earlier comment, they
only arrived in Peterborough by taking over a company called Cream Bus Services
of Stamford in the sixties - they ran mainly Bedfords plus a couple of RTs.

Alec Head also ran a service from Lutton and mostly that was a Bedford OB, followed
later by a SB. We also had Longlands of Crowland who had some wonderful old vehicles,
Green of Thorney - Miss Green is still around and was recently still driving a school
contract for Gretton. I don't know whether she still does. There was also a one vehicle
operator in Newborough called Bingham & Eastern who had a Yeates Rivieria bodied
Bedford(OOK 295). Many of you must remember Morleys of Whittlesey, but there was also
Canham of Whittlesey, and I believe that one of the Canham family still own LMG 184
(1939 Leyland Lion), hidden away in Whittlesey.

And now a plug. I am also treasurer of The Peterborough Local History Society, and am always
on the lookout for old postcards/photographs of Peterborough Electric Traction buses and
trams. I have quite a collection but I am sure there are others out there. PET was one of
the constituent parts of Eastern Counties in 1930, and I was certainly not around then!

Offline Cheltonian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 141
  • -Receive: 222
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 05:39:55 PM »
Did Bingham & Eastern trade as Newborough Coaches? If so were they aquired by Shaws of Maxey who also trade as Newborough Coaches Ltd?  The current service 306 from Peakirk to Peterborough is registered by Newborough Coaches Ltd of 49 High Street, Maxey.
See my latest photo's on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheltonian1966/

Number of individual vehicles recorded as travelled on at end of September 2019 : 14,525

Celebrating over 57 years interest in Buses and Coaches

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 166
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 07:36:49 AM »
Just added some images taken in the old bus station.
These can be found at http://angliabusforum.com/index.php?topic=2360.0
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline hitchinbus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 09:45:48 AM »
The Canham family do still own LMG 184 the 1939 Leyland Lion, and it is still in fairly good condition according to a recent sighting