Author Topic: Halfords corner BridgeSt./Sidney St. Cambridge  (Read 9005 times)

Offline alanv

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 40
Halfords corner BridgeSt./Sidney St. Cambridge
« on: September 21, 2009, 04:26:16 PM »

The new single deck buses have to wait for the  Bridge Street pavement to be clear of pedestrians before completing the turn.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2404
  • -Receive: 245
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Re: Halfords corner BridgeSt./Sidney St. Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 04:45:33 PM »
This is the corner which stopped 'Uncle Brian' from introducing bendy-buses on the Citi1. Allegedly.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Adam Dowling

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 04:48:33 PM »
The new single deck buses have to wait for the  Bridge Street pavement to be clear of pedestrians before completing the turn.
Not just the new ones; just about anything else that is 12 metres long has to squeeze past the pedestrians, not helped by the scaffolding outside Halfords that narrowed the road by about a foot!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Not just the new ones; just about anything else that is 12 metres long has to squeeze past the pedestrians, not helped by the scaffolding outside Halfords that narrowed the road by about a foot!

Is it just my impression, or are the front wheels set further back on these busway vehicles?
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline Danny

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:09:12 PM »

Well, that's a feature of full size buses!! I could think of many examples elsewhere where they do this.
Fortunately the council haven't decided to put railings in everywhere, like they do in some places.

Adam Dowling

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 05:19:32 PM »

Well, that's a feature of full size buses!! I could think of many examples elsewhere where they do this.
Fortunately the council haven't decided to put railings in everywhere, like they do in some places.
If they put railings in there, the turn would be impossible in a Dart, let alone a 12m bus!

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 82
  • -Receive: 31
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 05:26:04 PM »
Now alot of Health & Safety stuff is just rubbish, but this is dangerous! What if a bus driver misjudges thier speed and breaks too late  :o
Maybe they should only have pedestrains one side of the road here

Adam Dowling

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 05:49:03 PM »
Now alot of Health & Safety stuff is just rubbish, but this is dangerous! What if a bus driver misjudges thier speed and breaks too late  :o
Problem is there currently isn't a pavement on the other side of the road (covered by scaffolding), and when it was there it was very narrow and you regularly got buses bumping up on the kerb there.

FF 17285

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 07:21:05 PM »

It's not exactly somewhere you'd go tearing into at 40mph.

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 186
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 08:19:08 PM »
In days of old buses used to travel both ways into that corner inbound into Bridge Street and on the outward leg tuen right from Sidney Street.
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline FF17355

• Bouncing
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 11:45:29 PM »
      How about when we went down past Boots to the market left past the Arts Theatre Richard I think the turn by the Corn Exchange was worse with a early 12mtr without power steering that was a tough one.
               Dave the elder FF17355

Adam Dowling

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 11:57:40 PM »
      How about when we went down past Boots to the market left past the Arts Theatre Richard I think the turn by the Corn Exchange was worse with a early 12mtr without power steering that was a tough one.
               Dave the elder FF17355
I still can't believe that buses used to run through Market Square, I just can't see it!

Offline FF17355

• Bouncing
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 01:23:27 AM »
    When I upgraded from single to double deck my driving test was Trumpington where the office was those days-Long Rd- Hills rd-St Andrews St - Petty Cury-Market Hill-Arts Theater where we changed drivers and rhe other chap had to do another curcuit of the city and back to Trumpington. There was a busstop outsde the Arts Theater.

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 186
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 06:42:14 PM »
    When I upgraded from single to double deck my driving test was Trumpington where the office was those days-Long Rd- Hills rd-St Andrews St - Petty Cury-Market Hill-Arts Theater where we changed drivers and rhe other chap had to do another curcuit of the city and back to Trumpington. There was a busstop outsde the Arts Theater.
That would had been before my time in Cambridge. However the bus stop that is on the other side of the road from the church which is used on Sundays by the open top tour used to be a "Bedders" only stop. That is the buses 180/1/85/86/95 would only stop there in the morning so the Bedders could get off.
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline FF17355

• Bouncing
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 09:00:59 PM »
     The Papworth Colony bus terminal was that stop it was across the road from the Arts there was also a stop on the other side of the Market,there was several all day routes that used one of the stops.There would have been a bus down Petty Cury every 10mins or so during the day.
                    David the elder FF17355 

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »
This article has made into into the Cambridge Evening News today with ROSPA calling for alternative bus routes or smaller vehicles.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_home/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=452164

Adam Dowling

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 01:50:33 PM »
Daft.
That corner has had 12 metre vehicles going round it for years, with no fatalities that I know of and thanks to the bollards you only get buses and taxis round there anyway so is it really a problem?
In all the times Ive been on a bus going round that corner, I've only once had a driver take it too fast and bump up onto the kerb. Typical rubbish reporting by the CEN.

However, if a alternative route was needed, Victoria Avenue>Chesterton Rd would be the perfect diversion.

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 01:59:55 PM »
Daft.
That corner has had 12 metre vehicles going round it for years, with no fatalities that I know of and thanks to the bollards you only get buses and taxis round there anyway so is it really a problem?
In all the times Ive been on a bus going round that corner, I've only once had a driver take it too fast and bump up onto the kerb. Typical rubbish reporting by the CEN.

However, if a alternative route was needed, Victoria Avenue>Chesterton Rd would be the perfect diversion.

Hello Adam,

The extended nearside mirrors, together with the roadworks and building works on both sides of the approach do hinder positioning on the approach to the corner, consequently making it rather more difficult to navigate compared to the relative ease which went before...

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 131
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 03:12:11 PM »

The perfect diversion would be the way it was before the infamous "bike ban" - put back the stops outside Boots and go in a nice straight line up Sidney Street...

Adam Dowling

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 03:15:53 PM »

The perfect diversion would be the way it was before the infamous "bike ban" - put back the stops outside Boots and go in a nice straight line up Sidney Street...
There was a diversion up Sidney St for some time when Hobson St was closed for resurfacing. It caused chaos as the buses had to battle their way through the pedestrians.

Offline alanv

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »
I agree that it the building works that has triggered the issue however as has been remarked th new bus way buses do seem to have a longer front overhang and a greater forward extension to the mirrors.

The CEN has reported the story in a  typical manner. I wonder after seeing "The Wire" if the CEN  ever has quotes where the credited source can say "I wish I was smart enough to say that"

When I was last in that area there was no work taking place to complete the new  bus way stops.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 04:23:41 PM »
This article has made into into the Cambridge Evening News today with ROSPA calling for alternative bus routes or smaller vehicles.
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_home/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=452164

Was the comment below the Buses risking lives of pedestrians, say residents article, which starts:
Quote from: 'Bob'
I'm a cyclist, and a bus driver.
by anyone we know?

Or the one which starts:
Quote from: 'Dave'
I was a bus driver in Cambridge for two and a half years and will try and give a balanced argument.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 04:40:59 PM »

Adam Dowling

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 10:22:31 PM »
That's true, Adam. However a regular re-routing would leave pedestrians more accustomed to needing to move. This could be aided by installing a 'friendly-sounding' external bell on buses using this route.
I see your point. There are similar routes in other towns busier than the UK that involve buses going through a pedestrianised area; since they have always gone that way, no-one takes any notice.

Of course, Round Church corner is a lot more difficult to address, and the same problems occour there too.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 11:54:50 PM »
... Of course, Round Church corner is a lot more difficult to address, and the same problems occur there too.

But I reckon that there's a lot more room to manoeuvre there. (Look on Google maps.)

The odd bit of re-painting of white lines to give better priorities might help, though.

Offline Derrick Pancel

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 01:53:29 PM »
Pedestrians could also do their bit and use a little common sense if they see a bus attempting to manoeuvre the Bridge Street corner  ::)