Author Topic: Peterborough Crimbo P&R Scrapped, reinstated and what is working the services  (Read 5749 times)

Adam Dowling

Dunno if this is the right place to put this; but Stagecoach Viscount run some of the services. Feel free to move it if you think its in the wrong place.

Christmas park and ride service is scrapped

Peterborough's park and ride scheme in 2008 ferrying in christmas shoppers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Published Date: 22 October 2009

Shoppers face traffic misery this Christmas as council chiefs announce Peterborough's festive park and ride scheme has been scrapped.
Thousands of people will soon be preparing to hit the city centre's shops in search of that perfect gift.

But this year, instead of catching one of the free buses into the city from Lynch Wood or Eastern Industry, shoppers will be forced to make their way into Peterborough by car and attempt to find a space in one of the centre's car parks.

Peterborough City Council's group manager for transport and sustainable environment, Teresa Wood, said the council had taken the decision because last year's take-up was low.

The number of people using the buses fell from 17,000 in 2007 to just over 7,000 in 2008 – although the service operated for a reduced number of weeks last year.

Based on that usage, the council says that, in order to cover costs, it would either need to charge about £6 per person – when the service has been free since 2004 – or cancel the service all together.

More than 140,000 visitors descended on the city in the run-up to last Christmas, causing traffic problems along Bourges Boulevard and queueing in one of the Queensgate car parks.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/Christmas-park-and-ride-service.5759309.jp
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:32:14 PM by Adam D »

Offline harz99

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 0
  • Former 1940's petrol engine Canadian Ford in NZ
Re: Peterborough Crimbo P&R Scrapped
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 09:56:44 AM »
Another nail in the coffin of PCCs ambition to restore the city to a higher position in the "where to go shopping" league tables!

Do the Councillors who have obviously pushed for this budget cut not talk to their colleagues?

Very few Towns and Cities that have P&R schemes find that they are self financing, almost all are viewed as a neccessary cost to keep these same places from both becoming gridlocked and to reduce polution levels.  Well done Environment City!

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 10:13:34 AM »
Councils are not commercial organisations, despite what a significant proportion of (usually Con. but not exclusively so) councillors think. They are supposed to use their money to do what is of most overall benefit to the community. Congratulations to Ms Wood's superiors [Ed: corrected] for missing the point so thoroughly...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:09:16 PM by Julia_Hayward »

Offline harz99

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 11:48:21 AM »
Councils are not commercial organisations, despite what a significant proportion of (usually Con. but not exclusively so) councillors think. They are supposed to use their money to do what is of most overall benefit to the community. Congratulations to Ms Wood for missing the point so thoroughly...

Whilst I agree with your sentiments regarding the Council, I don't think it is entirely fair to blame Teresa Wood who is an employee charged with doing the Council's bidding, and as such has to "toe the party line" and both do as she is bid, as well as saying what is required.

The blame lies entirely with the Council and it's cabinet.

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 12:08:37 PM »
Oops, sorry, I misread that. You are quite right, I meant to aim at the councillor / cabinet member in charge of transport (who should be the one making this sort of statement, not leaving it to the officers).

Offline Cheltonian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 141
  • -Receive: 222
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 10:36:59 AM »
There has been a change of heart in operating this year's Park& Ride.

Councillor Marco Cereste, leader of Peterborough City Council, councillor Gavin Elsey, cabinet member for regional and business engagement, and councillor Peter Hiller, cabinet member for neighbourhood, housing and community development, have announced the seasonal park and ride will be resumed after listening to the views of residents and those who have used the service in the past.

Councillor Cereste said: "I have listened to the views of those people who use the park and ride and can confirm that the council will be running this service as usual again this year. I hope those people who have called for the service to remain will support us.

"I am also calling on local retailers and businesses to encourage staff members and customers to use the service. A successful park and ride scheme will encourage more people to visit Peterborough to do their Christmas shopping, helping shops, businesses and local attractions

Full details of start date and operations are still being finalised at present.
See my latest photo's on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheltonian1966/

Number of individual vehicles recorded as travelled on at end of September 2019 : 14,525

Celebrating over 57 years interest in Buses and Coaches

Online Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 11:30:17 AM »
There has been a change of heart in operating this year's Park& Ride.

Is this to become a yearly occurance?  :D
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Jonny

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 05:06:26 PM »
There was more about the park & ride service today in the evening telegraph and they have done a u turn now and here is the link for it.
http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/Council39s-Uturn-on-park-and.5768626.jp

Offline Cheltonian

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 05:52:12 PM »

Number of individual vehicles recorded as travelled on at end of September 2019 : 14,525

Offline Cheltonian

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »

Offline centralsimon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
    • Station Staff forum
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 06:22:48 PM »
A sensible idea not to charge.

All we need now is the service to run sufficiently long to allow those working in town to use it as well. Plus a suitable advertising campaign.....

Offline Andy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 20
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 09:40:21 PM »

All we need now is the service to run sufficiently long to allow those working in town to use it as well. Plus a suitable advertising campaign.....
It does suprise me that a city the size of Peterborough has not got a permenant park and ride system - has anybody got any idea why this is?

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 11:33:42 PM »

It does suprise me that a city the size of Peterborough has not got a permenant park and ride system - has anybody got any idea why this is?
Presumably car parking in the city is sufficient during the year, and it is only the influx of Christmas shoppers that causes the problem. Also has it benefited because it's growth has largely been whilst the car has been around.

Offline TonyMaxwell

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 02:50:26 AM »

From what I can remember of Peterborough it has quite a number of carparks in the central area. At least I got the impression there was whenever I had to drive into the city, albeit only as far as the Railway Station, coming in from the west.
Cheers,

Tony

Offline Big Rob

• Bouncing
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
    • RB Transport
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 07:36:46 AM »
Multi Story near the railway Station, Multi Story at Queensgate, a big tarmac carpark out near ish to the passport office, and theres a few more aswell.

After 1900hrs the coach park at Acland Street becomes a car park too.

Offline harz99

• Thank You
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 08:50:16 AM »

Presumably car parking in the city is sufficient during the year, and it is only the influx of Christmas shoppers that causes the problem. Also has it benefited because it's growth has largely been whilst the car has been around.

IMHO the real problems stem from the way motorists are allowed to Q on the roads outside the many city centre car parks.  This is what causes the gridlock, together with an almost complete absence of any extra traffic control to keep the main flows along Bourges Boulevard running.

The best answer I can see would be to shut the entrances to the multi storey car parks between say 11 and 3 allowing only cars to exit and none to Q.  But I guess that wouldn't suit Queensgate. 

Offline Cheltonian

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 09:27:55 AM »

It does suprise me that a city the size of Peterborough has not got a per menant park and ride system - has anybody got any idea why this is?
[/quote]

The main reason is, as stated, that there are a large number of car parks in Peterborough, owned by different operators i.e. Peterborough City Council, Queensgate, Network Rail, NCP, Europarks, plus some private ones. The result is co,petition, which keeps the prices lower than most City's. For most of the year, these car parks cope with the number of cars wishing to park. However, motorists would rather queue to park at Queensgate than park in an alternative car park a couple of hundred yards away.

Unfortunately, Peterborough City Council only own about 25% of the car parking spaces in Peterborough, so even closing all this space would not be sufficient to encourage motorists to use Park & Ride. There would still be plenty of space within the city.

However, there are plans to redevelop the city centre including North Westgate and Rail Sation Quarter. This will result in a reduction in car parking space available, and the provision of a full time Park & Ride service is being considered. All this planning is on hold at present as a result of the recession.

[/quote]

IMHO the real problems stem from the way motorists are allowed to Q on the roads outside the many city centre car parks.  This is what causes the gridlock, together with an almost complete absence of any extra traffic control to keep the main flows along Bourges Boulevard running.

The best answer I can see would be to shut the entrances to the multi storey car parks between say 11 and 3 allowing only cars to exit and none to Q.  But I guess that wouldn't suit Queensgate. 
[/quote]

Doug, you have hit the nail on the head. Since your time, matters have improved somewhat, mainly by later opening by Queensgate during December and Sunday shopping. Queensgate now close the Eastern approach to Westgate during the build up to Christmas so cars do not queue across the entrance and exit to the bus station. The day when most queueing occurs now is Sundays, when Queensgate car parking is cheaper. However, Cambridgeshire Constabulary will still not take any action towards car drivers queueing over junctions, and PCC enforcement staff cannot take action on 'moving' traffic.

Offline Big Rob

• Bouncing
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
    • RB Transport
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 04:20:27 PM »
YN03ZXC Veolia Liveried Paul James Optate Solo sits on bay 18 at Peterborough Queensgate as of 1620hrs with PR1 on blinds.

Offline dennisdart

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 494
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 04:28:07 PM »
Other Veolia/Paul James Solos on P&R duty today were:

YN03ZXB/MX05ELO/YN04LWR in Veolia livery

W30PJC in Rutland Flyer livery

MX08 DGZ in allover white. Presumably the spare as it was parked up
in Acland Street.

Was unable to notice what Stagecoach were using on the Saturday service,
the only one I managed to see during a very busy day was 16091. Anyone else
see what other vehicles were in use?

Offline r2s2

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 08:55:51 PM »
Other Veolia/Paul James Solos on P&R duty today were:

YN03ZXB/MX05ELO/YN04LWR in Veolia livery

W30PJC in Rutland Flyer livery

MX08 DGZ in allover white. Presumably the spare as it was parked up
in Acland Street.

Was unable to notice what Stagecoach were using on the Saturday service,
the only one I managed to see during a very busy day was 16091. Anyone else
see what other vehicles were in use?

16106, 16162 and 21165/6 (can't be sure which one)