Author Topic: Paul Cooper buys Burtons?  (Read 8155 times)

John Wakefield

Paul Cooper buys Burtons?
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:59:03 AM »
There is a rumour circulating 'the trade' that Paul Cooper is buying Burtons Haverhill local operations from Tellings, has anyone heard anything?

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 534
    • ScotBus
Re: Paul Cooper buys Burtons?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:14:50 AM »
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

John Wakefield

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:30:35 AM »
Thanks Suzy, missed previous postings. Looks like another old name BURTONS is going into history. I suspect the PREMIER TRAVEL trading name has been retained legally, to be resurected at some time in the future.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:33:52 AM by John Wakefield »

Adam Dowling

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »
Thanks Suzy, missed previous postings. Looks like another old name BURTONS is going into history. I suspect the PREMIER TRAVEL trading name has been retained legally, to be resurected at some time in the future.
The posts on that other thread state that the new company is Yellow Star Travel T/A Burtons Coaches, so they are keeping the name...

Offline bumpedburtonsdriver

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Paul Cooper backnowledge AGAIN!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 11:15:38 AM »
Rumor has it that like a bad penny Paul coopers back he is apparently buying a cambridgeshire coach company so he can have another go at it looks like turners of great Barton must have decides enough was enough but as he was only a driver there looks like the company may survive

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1816
  • -Receive: 221
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Re: Paul Cooper backnowledge AGAIN!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 05:01:23 PM »
Rumor has it that like a bad penny Paul coopers back he is apparently buying a cambridgeshire coach company so he can have another go at it looks like [...]

I'n not trying to be difficult, BBD. I really did have to read your post four or five times to make sense of it.

Maybe you posted that from a phone? I know it can be difficult to access the punctuation on a phone, so here's...

Quote from: my perception of what I think you might have been saying...
Rumor has it that, like a bad penny, Paul Cooper's back.

He is apparently buying a Cambridgeshire coach company so he can have another go at it. It looks like [...]

Your post – and specifically the concept of the aforementioned Mr Cooper turning up 'like a bad penny' – did spur me to look up some info about this gentleman.

As our Forum is viewable by non-members, and individual posts turn up in Google searches (Try typing 'paul cooper burtons' not a Google search) it would be good to refer to published references from elsewhere about his previous behaviour.

My first piece of info was fromUK Coach Awards – Coach Operator of the Year (Large Fleets) 2010

Quote from: UK Coach Awards – Coach Operator of the Year (Large Fleets) 2010
Highly Commended

The following operators were highly commended by the judges.

Burtons Coaches, Haverhill, Suffolk

One of the vehicles in the Burtons Coaches fleetBurtons Coaches was established in 1948 and operates a large fleet of buses and coaches which cover a diverse range of services including local bus, contract and UK & European coach hire operations.Until recently the company was part of the Tellings Golden Miller Group but in January 2010 was sucessfully purchased by Paul Cooper, Managing Director and his wife, Tracy Atkinson-Cooper.

The company is a member of the Guild of British Coach Operators an holds the Coachmarque accreditiation. The company operates a fully air conditioned fleet. Flagships in its frontline fleet include four new Scania Irizar PB coaches, two of which are 14 metre tri-axles. One is operated in a 53 seat Star Class configuration affording extra legroom, extended seat recline and air conditioned climate controlled comfort. The company also operates air conditioned mini coaches, midi coaches, a 36 seat air conditioned executive and a 49 seat wheelchair lift equipped vehicle, alongside low floor and double deck buses.

Which left me puzzled: what's not to like?

Then I found this article on Haverhill-UK: End of the road for long-standing coach company

Quote from: Haverhill-UK, Tuesday, 31st May 2011
A coach company which has been a part of Haverhill life for over 60 years has gone into administration.

Suffolk County Council was informed on Friday that bus operator Yellow Star Travel Services of Haverhill (operating as Burtons) would cease to trade immediately.

Stephensons of Essex will take over with immediate effect. Company matters are being dealt with by a firm of administrators. Read more

This triggered my memory and I found this related thread on our own Forum. Problems at Burtons??

Interesting.

Edit: Clarify that no specific opinions are being offered by me, only links to relevant information sources.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:07:38 AM by TCD813 »
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 07:37:08 PM »
Apologies, as u thought I used a not so smartphone I'm not big with this technology thingybob

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 07:43:24 PM »
[...] I worked for Burton's for over 10 years [...]

Edit: Ellipted by admins to remove statements regarded to be in in breach of Forum Rules.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:03:54 AM by TCD813 »

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 134
  • -Receive: 114
    • My Flickr
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 08:05:22 PM »
While there may or may not be issues with the way Mr Cooper ran Burtons after buying the company off TGM, I'd respectfully suggest that it is not the best idea to question his professional repute in a public forum such as this?

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 437
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
While there may or may not be issues with the way Mr Cooper ran Burtons after buying the company off TGM, I'd respectfully suggest that it is not the best idea to question his professional repute in a public forum such as this?

I quite agree !! Surely, such matters like this are the preserve of the bus & coach industry regulators, VOSA (or DVSA as they are now to be known). If they believe something untoward has gone on, then it is up to them to decide whether any action should be taken ?

Please remember, should any member falsely accuse anybody of any mis-doing, on this Forum, you DON'T know who can read these comments ? Also, you may find that the "alleged person" may well start legal proceedings against you over such comments !!! SO, be Very Careful of your comments, if you want to avoid any embarassing trouble ??

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 10:49:04 PM »

If we can perhaps stick to finding links to other (reputable) sources which can give an indication as to the character (good or otherwise) of a company, or of an MD, that would seem fair enough.

I recall, for example, that there were some very revealing passages about FEC in a Competition Commission report about the King's Lynn bus wars. It was possible to refer to these and quote them without the ATB Forum having its own opinion.

If Suffolk CC (who had to 'pick up the pieces' in Bury St Ed's) have an on-line comment from the time, then reference it in a link and quote a (representative) section. Similarly if the administrators of a failed company have anything to say, it's fair enough to post a link and quote a (representative) section of any on-line documentation.

However, it has to be said that the various authorities, be they VOSA, or the courts and financial conduct authorities have the power to ban individuals from being MDs of passenger transport operators, or company directors.

If this particular person is taking on this rôle in a passenger transport operator he cannot be the subject of a ban.

(Unless anyone has documentary evidence to prove otherwise.)
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 09:48:26 PM »
Firstly I would like to state that these are only my personal opinions gained through working for Mr cooper for oh leto see 7 years it is in no way a we hate "we hate Paul cooper stance" his repute is [...] where served upon him at burtons demise all at a tm hearing (which I was present in a professional capacity) it was made clear [...] but based on MY OWN personal experiences it is doubtful hope this clears up the matter as I'm sure you know forums are all about expressing ones own opinion... And coincidentally I have heard RUMOURS it's eclipse coaches Mr cooper has taken a stake in can anyone elaborate on this??

Edit: Ellipted by Admin. Links to eternal judgements are appropriate. Unverified opinions which impugn an individual's integrity are not.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:03:02 PM by TCD813 »

Offline coach man

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 05:49:50 PM »
I believe that bumpedburtonsdriver has an axe to grind and is leading to being sued for slander as all the comments so far are inaccurate and slander, there was never hearing with the tc . Paul cooper's repute is in no way tarnished ( he would not currently be a transport manager if so) he has many contacts is the local coach industry and any rumours concerning taking stakes in other company's are untrue. 

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 10:46:03 PM »
I believe that bumpedburtonsdriver has an axe to grind and is leading to being sued for slander as all the comments so far are inaccurate and slander, there was never hearing with the tc . Paul cooper's repute is in no way tarnished ( he would not currently be a transport manager if so) he has many contacts is the local coach industry and any rumours concerning taking stakes in other company's are untrue.
If we can perhaps stick to finding links to other (reputable) sources which can give an indication as to the character (good or otherwise) of a company, or of an MD, that would seem fair enough.

I recall, for example, that there were some very revealing passages about FEC in a Competition Commission report about the King's Lynn bus wars. It was possible to refer to these and quote them without the ATB Forum having its own opinion.

If Suffolk CC (who had to 'pick up the pieces' in Bury St Ed's) have an on-line comment from the time, then reference it in a link and quote a (representative) section. Similarly if the administrators of a failed company have anything to say, it's fair enough to post a link and quote a (representative) section of any on-line documentation.

However, it has to be said that the various authorities, be they VOSA, or the courts and financial conduct authorities have the power to ban individuals from being MDs of passenger transport operators, or company directors.

If this particular person is taking on this rôle in a passenger transport operator he cannot be the subject of a ban.

(Unless anyone has documentary evidence to prove otherwise.)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 11:33:54 PM »
Can someone advise me of the full legal name of the company?
That way I can check on Companies House website.
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 134
  • -Receive: 114
    • My Flickr
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 10:25:36 AM »
The only Eclipse Coaches I know of in this region are a one-man-band outfit who I believe are based in Bar Hill - their one and only coach is a purple 34 seat Mercedes Tourino that lives at Flint Cross. According to BLOTW the company name is Hall & New.

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 172
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 11:33:40 AM »
The only Eclipse Coaches I know of in this region are a one-man-band outfit who I believe are based in Bar Hill - their one and only coach is a purple 34 seat Mercedes Tourino that lives at Flint Cross. According to BLOTW the company name is Hall & New.
I think they are now based in Orwell
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 11:51:29 AM »
I think they are now based in Orwell

I found this website Eclipse Coaches.

And these contact details:

Eclipse Coaches Ltd.
20 Leaden Hill
Orwell
Royston.
SG8 5QH
Phone: 01223 208926
bookings@eclipsecoaches.co.uk

Offline coach man

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »
Eclipse coaches ltd was formed in early 2013 and took over the running of eclipse coaches of bar hill in October 2013, the company has an o licence for 5 vehicles and is currently running a mercedes tourino BX06ULT 34 seats, setra 415hd R20ECL 48 seats and mercedes sprinter YN51KLL 16 seats all are purple and run from Flint cross

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 06:52:55 PM »
Eclipse coaches ltd was formed in early 2013 and took over the running of eclipse coaches of bar hill in October 2013, the company has an o licence for 5 vehicles and is currently running a mercedes tourino BX06ULT 34 seats, setra 415hd R20ECL 48 seats and mercedes sprinter YN51KLL 16 seats all are purple and run from Flint cross

Thanks. See attached report from CH, although very recent changes may not yet be reflected.
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 330
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2020, 09:52:55 PM »
Looks like Mr Cooper is now trading as St Edmunds Travel
PF2017521
PAUL JOHN COOPER
Licence details (PF2017521)
Business type Sole Trader
Trading names St Edmunds Travel
People PAUL JOHN COOPER
Licence type Standard International
Licence status Valid
Continuation date 31 May 2024
Traffic area East of England
Contact details
Address LAMBOURNE HOUSE, THEDWASTRE ROAD, THURSTON, BURY ST EDMUNDS, IP31 3QY, GB
Operating centres
Operating centre   Vehicles   Trailers
WOODEND GREEN FARM, THURSTON, BURY ST. EDMUNDS, IP31 3SG, GB   3   0
Transport Managers
Name
PAUL JOHN COOPER
Related operator licences
There are no related licences

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 330
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »
One of his 3 vehicles appears to be BN58BJY MB O510 WEB44430323000029 Co F073051011 C35F 9/2008 Evobus, Coventry seen recently at Ely by David Beardmore   
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45726467@N02/49312225856/in/dateposted/

Offline dennisdart

• Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 517
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2020, 07:32:57 PM »
Another one of his vehicles is this one.....