Author Topic: Southend Running Day 1/1/10  (Read 6630 times)

Offline olympian 13601

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 7
Southend Running Day 1/1/10
« on: December 11, 2009, 04:53:28 PM »
Timetables are now up on Stephensons website for the New Years Day event...

http://www.stephensonsofessex.com/pages/1st-january-heritage-bus-running-day.php

It was superb last year, with a good mixture of buses including late 1970's and early 1980's rolling stock rather than just stacks and stacks of Routemasters and other irrelevant half-cabs. Well worth checking out, a car graph gets uploaded nearer the time going by last years form-book.

Offline olympian 13601

• Thank You
Re: New Years Day running day
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 02:58:02 PM »
It is running, but is as good as cancelled for anyone vaugely interested in buses. There is a Network Colchester contribution, a Trident which you can get six days a week and is about the least notable vehicle in north Essex. Even worse, the Regal contribution is a Wright bodied MAN thing which you can get SEVEN days a week- not what I would call a "heritage" bus running day, looks like I will be staying at home. It was so good last year, why ruin it?

FF 17285

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 10:11:48 PM »
I think you've just made my mind up. Thank you.

Offline Kevin S

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 06:05:42 PM »
Not sure which way you have made your mind up, but full details of what is hoped to run can be found at

http://www.stephensonsofessex.com/media/special/Duties%20-%20Jan%201.pdf

From this you can see that buses from most decades from 50s to 00s should be there.

Kevin

Offline olympian 13601

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 10:53:54 PM »
At risk of having the same argument with you in two places, the 2009 event was BRILLIANT, loads of old Olympians, a VR, a Titan, a National- just the thing for someone in the "middle" i.e. too young to care about ancient half-cabs and too old to have any interest in modern plastic stuff. At the 2010 event there will be no First, and no Regal so to have taken them out of the equation last year would amount to the loss of five out of the ten 'interesting' buses. The modernisation of both Stephensons and Arriva Southend's fleet tips the scales further against us. Now off to find out how often do trains go to Winchester on New Years Day....

Offline Kevin S

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 01:09:02 PM »

No argument - just posting a link so people can have a look and make their own decisions rather than have to make a decision on your seemingly rather biased angle.

You seem to be suggesting that just because there is no Leyland National or Bristol VR (those that ran last year are unfit anyway - 70s buses are unreliable!), the whole event should be cancelled. You can ride around on plenty of VRs & Nationals at other "free" events.

Personally I would also like to see more buses from that period as well, as the 70s was when my interest really started, but I understand why there are few available. Very few preserved buses from that period have Class 6 tickets and few operators have 70s buses still in service these days. There are more half-cabs (unfortunately mostly RMs) with Class 6 because they can earn their keep on private hires. People are not going to be interested in hiring a smokey old National or VR for a wedding.

Where do you suggest these buses you want to see actually come from ? In the current financial climate no operator is going to give priority to maintianing old buses for occassional use.

I respect your choice not to be interested in going this year but as I see it, it will be very similar to last year but with some different buses. After all there are not many places you will be able to ride on a Fleetline and Atlantean on a scheduled service on the same day.

Will you be going to Winchester instead ? If so have a great day out.

K

Offline olympian 13601

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »
I never once said it should be cancelled because of no national or VR- you are just being silly to try and prove a point there. What I did say here and elsewhere is that for anyone with an interest in 1970's and 1980's buses it will not be a patch on the 2009 event- they peaked too soon!

Regal Buses- last year an old Olympian and a National- this year some low floor heap, which no matter how much you love low floor heaps you can ride that 363 days of the year.

TGM Burton/NC- stacks of interesting buses in their fleet- older Olympians and Citybuses that don't work normal services, a Trident is promised instead.

First- I assume cutbacks/change of management mean the elderley Olympians from Chelmsford cannot be allowed out to play, and their lack of support this year suggests that even if the VR was fit and well it couldn't come.

Hedingham and Imperial- I would love to see them support the event, obviously they have a vast choice of superb, well presented vehicles from the 1980's. Surely someone in either or both organisations could be talked around.

Stephensons- even they have rare birds like the tri-axles they purchased with the Fargo business and some C and E-reg Olympians- it doesn't say what will be provided but it will be the Lothians that are nearest the gate of the otherwise crowded yard at Rochford!

Don't know why you keep saying 'Preserved'- all of the above are O-disc touting buses which are still alive and operational- preserved owners generally don't have Class 6 or the insurance to undertake such work. Apart from the Titan I cannot think of one bus from the impressive 2009 line up that is 'Preserved', but I'm sure you will prove me wrong!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 07:05:59 PM by olympian 13601 »

Offline Kevin S

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 09:12:11 PM »
Don't think Stephensons have any C reg ONs left. Agree about the tri-axle but as these are I think at Witham I don't suppose they will open the yard to pull one out.

As for Hedingham & Regal, well perhaps you could contact them and try to encourage them for next year. You can't seriously expect the organiser to badger operators to attend. Neither operators buses are that difficult to find on the road anyway. If Imperial did attend you'd probably find they would send a half-cab anyway. But if they did send RMF1254 that would prove quite popular !

Burtons/Network Colchester are separate companys now. Burtons are quite a way from Southend and NC don't have any ONs but the remaining Citybuses are still in normal service at the moment.

As for First, one of the ONs that attended last time has now been scrapped. They do still have 2 ECWs at Chelmsford and see use on normal service as well as schools during the week (but probably days are numbered when the Tridents enter service and buses then start to move around).

The reality is that stuff from the 70s/80s will rapidly decrease, even for school service. Things like the First VR and Regal LN are basically semi-preserved and rely on enthusiastic staff to keep them going. But they will of course have other priorities.

There should now be a 70s bus running now though. Ensign's ex-London Metrobus M1 is a replacement for the Go-Coach coach which from my point of view is better as coaches are quite boring to me.

K

Offline olympian 13601

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 07:49:23 PM »
I take a bow, and I will be signing programmes at next years King Alfred, which is where anyone with any sense will be after todays total waste of time and effort.

The two Stephensons Olympians (from their varied collection) were totally filthy Alexander bodied ex Lothian K872CSF and for contrast totally filthy Alexander bodied ex Lothian K890CSF. So basically we were just given the two nearest the gate at Rochford, and their use was regarded as just filling in for something else that couldn't be obtained for some reason- to add to the insult 872 is the one that does the 60 five-days-a-week unless something goes wrong. At least a week's worth of muck on both vehicles, not much fun travelling all day without being able to see through the windows- I made an effort to clear a patch of grime at Canvey so I could at least see out on the return run. So from an operator with an ex Scottish C-reg (C383SAO unless it's gone recently), rare birds such as the soon-to-be-disposed of ex Eastbourne E-DPNs, the equally rare ex EYMS NCME bodies, the pair of ex Hong Kong tri-axles, three ex Dublin Bus Volvo Olymps etc etc we got lumbered with two identical motors, one of which is available to travel on all the time.

We get the message, if you are interested in anything after half-cabs we don't want your money and you can **** off to Winchester (where a far superior selection was on offer today).

The Metrobox M1 looked splendid for those into MCW's by the way!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 08:38:13 PM by olympian 13601 »

Offline jrdpod

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
Southend Running Day 1/1/10
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »
An interesting variety of vehicles observed.
Arriva Southend Volvo Olympian/NC P937 MKL.
Autocar Routemaster RM1123 - 123 CLT.
Ensign Metrobus M1 - THX 101S; Tiger/Duple Carribean A250 SVW, RT/Cravens 1431 - JXC 194.
Hardy Miles Routemaster RML2466 - JJD 466D.
Network Colchester Trident/ALX W396 RBB.
NIBS Scania N113/Alexander G603 KTX.
Preserved Bristol RELL/ECW UFM 53F.
Regal Busways MAN N273L/Wright WX08 CDF.
Stephensons Leyland Fleetline/NC MRJ 233W, Leyland Olympian/Alexander K872 CSF, Scania N230UD/Olympuses EU09 AUK, EU59 BHX.
Talisman Atlantean/ECW RVW 90W.
Timebus Routemaster RM1871 - ALD 871B.
Westway Van Hool Astromega CCG 376.

Regards
John Podgorski.
www.busmopolitan.org

Offline Stuart Leader

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 08:46:09 PM »
olympian13601,

If you have nothing constructive to say, please keep it to yourself, I am sick and tired of reading your constant moaning about the event

I take a bow, and I will be signing programmes at next years King Alfred, which is where anyone with any sense will be after todays total waste of time and effort.

The two Stephensons Olympians (from their varied collection) were totally filthy Alexander bodied ex Lothian K872CSF and for contrast totally filthy Alexander bodied ex Lothian K890CSF. So basically we were just given the two nearest the gate at Rochford, and their use was regarded as just filling in for something else that couldn't be obtained for some reason- to add to the insult 872 is the one that does the 60 five-days-a-week unless something goes wrong. At least a week's worth of muck on both vehicles, not much fun travelling all day without being able to see through the windows- I made an effort to clear a patch of grime at Canvey so I could at least see out on the return run. So from an operator with an ex Scottish C-reg (C383SAO unless it's gone recently), rare birds such as the soon-to-be-disposed of ex Eastbourne E-DPNs, the equally rare ex EYMS NCME bodies, the pair of ex Hong Kong tri-axles, three ex Dublin Bus Volvo Olymps etc etc we got lumbered with two identical motors, one of which is available to travel on all the time.

We get the message, if you are interested in anything after half-cabs we don't want your money and you can **** off to Winchester (where a far superior selection was on offer today).

The Metrobox M1 looked splendid for those into MCW's by the way!

FF 17285

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 08:50:55 PM »
It wasn't exactly paradise for the halfcab faction either, unless London Transport's your thing. This isn't yet another dig about Routemasters, as I had a ride out to Shoeburyness on silver RM1871 which seemed apt as it was a former Southend Transport motor. Ironically the only non-London front engined decker was former Southdown 424 DCD which is a Leyland PD3 with a full front! I'd never been on a Queen Mary before so at least that was something.

Highlight of the day for me was the ex-Crosville RE which I caught on the feeder run to and from Colchester, but if it hadn't been for spending the day catching up with friends I'd have felt like Mr 13061 over the lack of variety. That said, the goodwill of vehicle owners should be respected, especially at a time of year where family weighs high.

I'm with him wholeheartedly in recommending Winchester in 2011 for variety of buses. As for Southend, I think I'll leave that to the locals in future. 

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 546
    • ScotBus
Re: Southend Running Day 1/1/10
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 08:54:04 PM »
Some pics from the day (not mine!) can be found at http://www.photosbyterry.fpic.co.uk/c1798655.html
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

stagecoach106

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 09:21:59 PM »
looks like a good day there nice buses there

regards jamie

Adam Dowling

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 09:31:29 PM »
looks like a good day there nice buses there

regards jamie
Agreed, its nice to see people put in the time and effort on New Years Day, which lets be honest, isn't the easiest day of the year to organise things? Okay, perhaps it wasn't perfect, but I can't ever remember going to an event that was!

Someone I know moaned about Showbus '08 for a variety of reasons, the buses he wanted to see didn't turn up or something. My reply was if he has such a problem with it, perhaps he can do a better job then ???

Offline olympian 13601

• Thank You
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
olympian13601,

If you have nothing constructive to say, please keep it to yourself, I am sick and tired of reading your constant moaning about the event

didn't force you to read it, I wasted a day going there when I'd rather have been somewhere else, hopefully others are suitably warned!

Offline Kevin S

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 10:39:08 PM »

I thought you were heading for Winchester?  I understand there were some lovely Limpalongs down there.

"Meanwhile in Winchester, they enjoyed A989XAF, E289HRV, C121CHM (now EIG9487) and H816CBP."    :'(

K   

Offline olympian 13601

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 11:20:11 PM »
Kicking myself for not going to Winchester Mr Sevin Kmith.

Intrigued to know why you choose to upload a whole stack of photos from the 2009 event on 31/12/2009- was that to remind us how good the 2009 'do' was?!

Adam Dowling

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 11:25:41 PM »
Can you two continue this discussion somewhere else please?

I for one couldn't care less if one or two people thought the event was rubbish, at the end of the day a lot of hard work went into it, a handful of people I know went there and enjoyed it, and as for the moaners, how about you stop moaning and show that you could do a better job if you have that much of a problem with it all.

From what I can see of the event, it didn't look too bad. At the end of the day we all have our own preferences, and some of us younger blokes like the modern stuff, Tridents, B7TL's, B10M's, Scania 113's, etc, and perhaps that is why things like that Trident appeared in the line-up. Nothing wrong with attracting the younger generation!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:34:04 PM by Adam D »

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 09:26:51 AM »
Adam, did I see you use the words 'like' and 'Trident' in the same sentence there? ;)