Author Topic: Big Legal battle looming over Busway  (Read 3822 times)

John Wakefield

Big Legal battle looming over Busway
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:38:47 AM »

Offline TonyMaxwell

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Big Legal battle looming over Busway
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 02:15:41 PM »
I see that the Busway is way way past it's contracted date for opening.  Why all the fuss about payment now?  Surely when the Contracts were drawn up, Cambridge County Council had Penalty Clauses written in? This White Elephant should never have been started in the first place.
Cheers,

Tony

Adam Dowling

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
I overtook a BAM Nuttall van heading south on the M11 today that was towing a small caravan-do you think they know something we don't? ;) ;) ;) :D :D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:27:37 PM by Adam D »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1576
  • -Receive: 213
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 08:22:19 AM »
I see that the Busway is way way past it's contracted date for opening.  Why all the fuss about payment now?  Surely when the Contracts were drawn up, Cambridge County Council had Penalty Clauses written in?

I imagine that there were a number of clauses to keep the contractor(s) in line, however there's hardly anything more profitable for 'm'learned friends' in the legal profession to argue about than what is covered by a contract, what is 'remedial work', what is a 'variation', what are 'unforeseeable circumstances', what should have been 'reasonably foreseen' and where the financial burden should fall.

This White Elephant should never have been started in the first place.

I'm sure every 'Clarkson' in the county would say "Top Gear!" to that statement, but I somehow don't think that you're regretting the diversion of transport funding away from the private motorist!
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

John Wakefield

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:14:13 AM »
Ironically back in the sixties not a million miles from the guided bus way, Tracked Hovercraft Ltd built a test track at Erith, for a linear motor powered hovercraft. To my knowledge this revolutionary method of propulsion & transport never got of the ground, at least in the UK. I believe though that the Japanese have developed it since.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 11:32:38 AM »
... a linear motor powered hovercraft... this revolutionary method of propulsion & transport never got off the ground...

Think that gets a 'Did he really mean to say that?' award!

I feel sure that we discussed this 'hovertrain' about a year ago on a different thread but I can't find it.

Scroll down on this link to see a picture.

And there's more here.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline RT4531

• Thank You
  • -Given: 377
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:09:30 PM »
Wasn't the topic you're looking for about the RTV31 being at Peterborough now?

Bob

Offline TonyMaxwell

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 12:14:32 PM »
This White Elephant should never have been started in the first place.

I'm sure every 'Clarkson' in the county would say "Top Gear!" to that statement, but I somehow don't think that you're regretting the diversion of transport funding away from the private motorist!
[/quote]

Perhaps I should have come up with something a little different than 'White Elephant'.  
When you look back over the History of the Busway, it must have cost far more than the contracted price.  All the preliminary inspections and reports and feasability studies would not have been cheap.
Then work was started, eventually in January 2007 with a completion date set for April 2009.  Then, lo and behold, the finish date was moved to Late Summer 2009.  Around September I believe it was, reassurances from BAM Nuttall were quoted as saying everything will be ready by October and an Opening Date for November 29 was put in place.  Then, surprise surprise; around the middle of October it was once again reported that the Opening was postponed until a date not specified.  Suggestions are that it should now be early 2010.  That to me makes it 12 months behind schedule.
I can see farther down the line.  What's the betting that a few months into the coming into service, the Busway will be closed for an indeterminate period as essential maintenance has to be carried out.
I'm also wondering if Stagecoach and other Operators who have purchased vehicles to run on the Busway are already thinking about replacement vehicles!!
Cheers,

Tony

John Wakefield

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
(quote) I can see farther down the line.  What's the betting that a few months into the coming into service, the Busway will be closed for an indeterminate period as essential maintenance has to be carried out.

Maybe this is the reason for postponing it into the new year & away from the worst of the winter, the wrong type of snow (or any snow) would cause havoc. Mind you it will have to be delayed until Spring if if this is the case.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 144
  • -Receive: 129
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 02:22:14 PM »
I believe the Edinburgh busway had a couple of prolonged periods of maintenance during it's short life.

That wasn't so much of a problem, as the road it ran alongside was really no slower anyway.  However when the Cambridgeshire one requires closing for maintenance there isn't really an available substitute...

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 02:57:44 PM »
... when the Cambridgeshire (busway) requires closing for maintenance there isn't really an available substitute...

Single track running with a pilotman?

(Or, if female a (ahem) token-woman.)

John Wakefield

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 09:24:36 AM »
More blunders on the guideway http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_home/