Author Topic: Busway constructers employed immigrant construction workers  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
Busway constructers employed immigrant construction workers
« on: January 31, 2008, 02:54:58 PM »
Busway immigrants 'embarrassing'
By John Morgan

THE discovery that illegal immigrants have been working on the guided busway has been described as an embarrassment for Cambridgeshire County Council.

Immigration authorities launched an investigation after the News revealed contractor Edward Nuttall Ltd had sacked 12 workers after a check on documentation.

The Indian employees were based at the busway compound at Longstanton.

Coun Julian Huppert, a member of the Lib Dem opposition group on the council, said: "Clearly it is an embarrassment for the council. The council needs to make sure that people have the right papers when they are working for it."

Huntingdon & St Ives - Councillor Julian Huppert
Councillor Julian Huppert
Coun Huppert remains opposed to the guided bus scheme. He said: "I still think it is very expensive and won't provide all the benefits we need."

Jean Chamberlain, a director of Lighthouse Toys in Histon, a business affected by the building work, was shocked at the news that illegal workers had been employed.

She said: "My reaction when I saw the headlines was: 'Wow'. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. They should check all papers first."

Tim Broad, who runs Lighthouse Toys, believes the illegal working issue is another example of the council's mishandling of the guided bus.

He said: "The council should be even more embarrassed." Edward Nuttall earlier confirmed that one of the contractors working for it had been sacked after failing to hand over the correct paperwork.

A spokesman said: "Nuttall has proactively made these checks and dealt firmly with the company who has not provided the paperwork".

A British worker on the project claimed the number of illegal immigrants is higher than 12. The Home Office Immigration Agency said the issue would be "thoroughly investigated".

Mrs Chamberlain, 62, claims trade at her shop has been hit since Gatehouse Road, also known as Park Lane, was closed for construction of the busway.

She said: "As soon as the road closed, trade dropped off. We had been having a good Christmas. We feel the council could have listened to us.

"All the traders approached them with accounts, but they just did not bother. They just ignored it all.

"We haven't been listened to and we haven't been consulted - they could have given us Christmas."

Published: 30/01/2008
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending