Author Topic: Disappearing destys on digital photos  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Stonechat

• Thank You
  • -Given: 278
  • -Receive: 125
Disappearing destys on digital photos
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:44:23 AM »
In the last couple of days I've been lucky enough to come across two really good strays while having my camera handy

On Tuesday I came across Trident 18409 on the NCC-supported service 38 (see SiN thread) and yesterday I came across "19" branded Dart on the Connect Wellingborough service W1 (photo below)

Note that you would never know the service information from the photos as the desty info is missing. Is there anything that I should be doing to avoid this happening in future?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Offline RT4531

• Thank You
  • -Given: 377
  • -Receive: 43
Re: Disappearing destys on digital photos
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:24:57 PM »
In the pre-digital (35mm film) days all you would have to do is decrease the shutter speed by changing the aperture setting.
I presume the destys are similar to tv screens which refresh up to 24 times a second, so the shutter has to be open for long enough to capture a complete screen change,

Bob

Adam Dowling

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:57:45 PM »
In the pre-digital (35mm film) days all you would have to do is decrease the shutter speed by changing the aperture setting.
I presume the destys are similar to tv screens which refresh up to 24 times a second, so the shutter has to be open for long enough to capture a complete screen change,

Bob

Bob is correct. Increasing the shutter speed settings on your camera, when possible, can cause LED destinations to come out clearly. Failing that a multi-shot mode usually captures it.

Offline Stonechat

• Thank You
  • -Given: 278
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 05:28:43 PM »
Thanks Bob and Adam, I'll give that a whirl tomorrow to see if I can crack it.

Tony

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:05:20 PM »
Good point here!  I have experiences the same with trains so hopefully the same would be worth a go down at the station.

Offline Danny

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 06:07:23 PM »
Yes, Adam is right, increasing shutter speed and using multi shot mode will help with the problem.

I always have my camera on "burst mode" to make sure that (hopefully) at least one of the photos captures the destination display.

If you haven't got time to do too much fiddling, sometimes zooming in or out can be a good, "quick fix", as changing the zoom tends to change the shutter speed slightly on some cameras.

Edit: Whoops, it said decreasing by accident!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:09:53 PM by Danny »

Offline Dale

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 09:37:46 PM »
With *some* makes of digital display you need to use a shutter speed of only 1/60th - so no moving shots! Having said that, the modern Stagecoach Darts probably have Hanover screens which will *usually* come out at most speeds. Most photographers using digital cameras nowadays probably take 2-3 shots if it's moving and a digital display.

Dale