Author Topic: SM Coaches new routes  (Read 18069 times)

Offline David Stewart

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 38
Re: SM Coaches new routes
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 09:10:31 PM »
The 392 (and the early morning jny on 14 Staple Tye to RiverWay) are simply transferring from TWH to Roadrunner from 1st Sept, in place of being re-registered to Gemma Smith Ltd.   On the same date the 555 does transfer from TWH to the Gemma Smith licence and has a new timetable (which is now on Traveline) but will be still marketed as TWH rather than Townlynx as had been at first intended.  This is a very late change this week.   As the 555 will have a lot more journeys between Loughton and Waltham X and a more even service (still hourly) on to Harlow and will thus need a couple more buses to work it,  I guess that is why the 392 is being transfererd to another operator.
Dave Stewart

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 31
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 09:27:05 PM »
Thanks very much for the info Dave!

That does make sense, as the new timetable looks like it will need quite a few more buses. Although, the 392 is on an uncompetitive corridor, so is a more stable route compared to the 555. The 555 might have problems if Arriva suddenly charge lower prices on their 250, and have more buses. But, Arriva would struggle to charge lower prices and put more buses on.

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 135
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010, 08:03:30 AM »
Some more news from SM Coaches/Olympian/Roadrunner.

Starting from 1st September 2010, Roadrunner Coaches has registered routes 14 and 392.

The 392 has already been registered by SM Coaches as a Mon-Fri peak service between Harlow Town Station and Broxbourne Station, in order to reduce dead mileage on their Herts CC contract 323. TWH also operate the all day Mon-Sat 392 service from Harlow Town Station to Rye Park via Broxbourne and Hoddesdon. I'm not sure if TWH are no longer going to operate the 392 and Roadrunner are taking it over, or Roadrunner are running in competion. In any case, it will be quite confusing.

Also, the 14 is currently operated by TWH, operating one non-return peak journey from Staple Tye to Templefields in Harlow, missing out the town centre.  (NOT related to SM Coaches route 14 from Church Langley to Harlow Town Station). I doubt you could compete against such an unfrequent service, so i'm guessing that TWH are giving it up.

PF1057007/9 ROADRUNNER COACHES LIMITED Harlow Town Station Rye Park 392 Registered
PF1057007/10 ROADRUNNER COACHES LIMITED Staple Tye Templefields 14 Registered

There were cancellations of these services on the South-Eastern O-license TWH appears to be using (Gemma Smith or something similar) that went through on Wednesday.

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 06:00:45 PM »
Looks like SM haven't been that successful with some of their new routes.

Mon-Fri peak hours services 9 and 16 will be withdrawn from 30th October, along with the Mon-Fri daytime service 5.

Whenever I have seen the 5, there has almost always been passengers boarding, and it serves an area which Harlow residents have demanded a daytime bus for ages. Although, there was only ever about 5 passengers on the service which maybe isn't enough to be commercially successful.

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 12:08:01 PM »
 Network Harlow's competition against other routes is already working. SM Coaches have deregistered routes 1/31 from 30th October 2010, so TGM have got the Katherines and Sumners estates all to themselves from that date. SM have operated on those estates for a good few years now, but I don't think there would be much more they could do to fight off TGM. If they have lower fares than TGM on that route, then they would certainly lose money.

Also on 30th October, SM have also deregistered service 5 (Harlow-Old Harlow via previously unserved roads of Howard Way and Edinburgh Way), as well as peak hour services 9 and 16 which operate between Bus Station, Town Station and the industrial areas of Harlow. They have also revised most of their timetables from the same date as well.

SM also face competition on their 524 route (Harlow-Hertford), with Centrebus starting another 524 which follows the exact same route. The Roadrunner operations of R3 also face more competition. Centrebus are introducing service C3X (alongside existing C3), which has a slightly more direct route between Harlow, Hoddesdon, Cheshunt and Waltham Cross.

Also, Arriva's Harlow routes 4 (Bus Stn-Latton Bush), 6 (Hospital-Latton Bush), 7 (Churchgate Street - Sumners Farm), 8 (Bus Stn-Old Harlow), 10 (Bus Stn-Church Langley) and market days service 522 (Bus Stn-North Weald Market) will be transferring to Network Harlow from 01/11/2010, following the 1 and 2/3 which are already network harlow routes.

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 11:48:46 PM »
Well, to cover the Sumners & Katherines corridor after the 1/31 is withdrawn, SM is extending the 19/20 to Sumners.

So, the 19 will operate Epping-Harlow, with some journeys extending to Katherines and Sumners, and the 20 will operate Ongar-Epping-Harlow with some journeys extended to Katherines and Sumners. Juat to make the service even more confusing! I think I prefered it when it was just the 19 operating between Epping and Harlow! Although I don't think that much will change. I'm guessing Sm will just display Harlow on the bus, then at Harlow change it to 'Sumners'.

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »
More changes are apparently planned for SM Coaches/Roadrunner/Olympian....

From 8th Jan 2011:
* Olympian (as Roadrunner) route M2 is to be withdrawn.
* Olympian (as Roadrunner) route M4 is to be withdrawn.
* The extra peak hour journeys on the 392 operated by SM (which stopped dead mileage between the garage and Herts contract route 323) are to be withdrawn. No changes to Roadrunner 392.

* It seems more changes will be happening to the SM Coaches 19/20 services. From 8th Jan 2011, it looks like there will be a route 21 added extending to Brentwood! Will be interesting to see how this develops. It is certainly interesting how this route has changed since the 19 was first registered in Sep 2006.
* Under Roadrunner Coaches Ltd, new route 1 will be introduced between Harlow Town Stn and Katherines/Sumners. Surprising seeing as SM just withdrew the 1/31.

This info is from the VOSA Bus Registration Search, and hasn't even been on the N&P yet, so obviously things may change and the info may not be completly accurate.

Offline Alex Hazell.

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 10:31:08 AM »
Hmm interesting! Routes M2 and M4 didnt at all operate yesterday, and strangley route 1 did
Bus/Coach of the Week: Roadrunner Dennis Dart Plaxton Pointer SLF P301AYJ.

Offline Alex Hazell.

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »
Also, do we know whats going to be operating these services, they have brought some more vehicles, such as 2 05 renaults, but have they got 2 many, and are they moving to quick to keep up with Network Harlow and Centrebus?

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2010, 06:04:11 PM »
Hmm interesting! Routes M2 and M4 didnt at all operate yesterday, and strangley route 1 did

Yes, very interesting!

SM seem to do things like this quite a lot...for example the M15 just stopped operating way before it was deregistered. Also, Roadrunner M1/M31 (not the same as the recently withdrawn SM Coaches 1/31) was only recently deregistered after years of not operating, and the timetables for these routes are STILL on Traveline!

When I used the M2 a few weeks ago, they seemed to be running with just 1 bus for a 30-min frequency, instead of 2 with the timetable 15-min frequency.

Also, do we know whats going to be operating these services, they have brought some more vehicles, such as 2 05 renaults, but have they got 2 many, and are they moving to quick to keep up with Network Harlow and Centrebus?

I've only seen one 05-reg Irisbus Agoraline (which is AU05FKC), didn't realise there was two. FKC is ex-Norse, which joins the 53-reg ones which are also ex-Norse.

They certainly have got a large amount of vehicles, and a lot of variety! I really don't know how they have found the space. I've looked on Google streetview the sites for both the SM and Roadrunner sites, and they both seem quite small for the vehicles they have. Although, Streetview is fairly out of date so things may of changed.

I think they might be able to have enough vehicles for the routes. The 351 is quite an ambitious undertaking, so will be interesting to see how they cope with that. The competition from Network Harlow/Arriva and Centrebus definatly seems to be heating up, although the Network Harlow ticket prices will be increasing fairly significantly from next week, so if SM keeps the prices the same as they are now, they may still have an advantage over Network Harlow/Arriva.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 06:13:59 PM by alex1234 »

Offline Alex Hazell.

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2010, 07:26:40 PM »
All buses are based at SM Coaches, and approx 15 are based outside. Yes, 351 will be a interestin route, and I can't wait to see what they use. Yes there are 2 05 plate renualts, one is white/blue, the other is white.

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2010, 07:41:33 PM »
All buses are based at SM Coaches, and approx 15 are based outside. Yes, 351 will be a interestin route, and I can't wait to see what they use. Yes there are 2 05 plate renualts, one is white/blue, the other is white.

Apparently, SM also have ANOTHER Irisbus Agoraline, this time being ex-Mitchell's of Plean SN06AFK.

There were 23 Agoralines registered in the UK, and SM probably now have the largest collection of them in the UK (unless someone else says otherwise).

SM now have the 3 ex-Norse (53-reg), 1 ex-Norse (05-reg), 1 existing (EU06KHK), and now the latest one from Mitchell's, being SN06AFK.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 02:20:27 PM by alex1234 »

Offline Alex Hazell.

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 10:13:19 PM »
I am very sorry, but I was wrong, there is only 1 05 plate Renualt, the other is the new 06 plate one. I think SM may be buying more buses in the coming months, and more routes being started up, especially as Arriva is taking over Harlow from TGM.

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 02:21:29 PM »
I am very sorry, but I was wrong, there is only 1 05 plate Renualt, the other is the new 06 plate one. I think SM may be buying more buses in the coming months, and more routes being started up, especially as Arriva is taking over Harlow from TGM.

Now worries!   :)

Will be interesting to see what other vehicles will join SM. It never ceases to amaze me lol.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:28:12 PM by alex1234 »

Offline Alex Hazell.

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 07:09:56 PM »
Most likely the cheapest going!

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2010, 08:46:26 PM »
Seems they have given up the 351 before they even started.

The 351, in competition with Herts CC contract 351 (operated by Centrebus), is registered to operate from 13th December 2010 under Olympus Bus And Coach Limited, but it has been deregistered from 24 Jan 2011.

Offline Alex Hazell.

• Thank You
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2010, 06:46:17 PM »
Hmmmm interesting, perhaps they are putting their buses on to other work, or prehaps just realised that they would be wasting their time????

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2010, 08:24:36 PM »
Guess what...more changes  ;D

The R3 will be withdrawn from 31st January 2011, according to the VOSA bus registrations.

I suppose its difficult competing along quite a long corridor with both Centrebus and Arriva.

Offline Alex Hazell.

• Thank You
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2010, 07:11:27 PM »
Does anyone know why the 18 has not been operating for the past couple of days????

Heres some news for you: The 351 was deregistered because Roadrunner didn't have the rescources to operate the route, and because problems had occured with the R3 with the ECC and the licence to operate the service, the money was put into the R3 route, however, this has to be withdrawn because the licence has been taken away from Roadrunner due to lack of maintance/condition on the vehicles and lack of human recources within the company.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 546
    • ScotBus
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
The 18 was deregistered yesterday... [presumably not intending to operate now!]

Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2010, 03:40:22 PM »
The 18 was deregistered yesterday... [presumably not intending to operate now!]

The 18 seemed to be doing well. I think it attracted people of Arriva's 510. Well, almost every time I saw it at Harlow it seemed to have healthy loads. Maybe it is to do with a lack of resources, and those reasons ALEX was saying.

Offline Alex Hazell.

• Thank You
Re: excel coaches sotd
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2010, 04:32:34 PM »
The 18 did have healthy loads, and was 1 of SM's best routes, but due to so many defected vehicles, the route was taken away from them by the council, this puts the question is who will operate the route now?

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 546
    • ScotBus
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »
The 18 did have healthy loads, and was 1 of SM's best routes, but due to so many defected vehicles, the route was taken away from them by the council, this puts the question is who will operate the route now?

The local authority did not pay for the 18, so do not contract it - also, do you have any evidence re the issues you mention which caused them to (allegedly) lose their licence? Checked the News Distribution Service, but nothing there (for Essex).
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline Alex Hazell.

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2010, 08:52:07 PM »
The information I recieved was from a recent ex-employer of the firm, and this information has been told to me by several people from outside and inside the industry

Offline David Stewart

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »
Re the 22Dec msg about SM 18 not running, it was running on Thursday 23rd using SM-liveried buses -which is correct.  It is a commercial (not council) service and, yes, it has been deregistered in a few weeks' time.

The only council contracted services run by the  SM/RR/Olympus "Group" are the school jnys on 386/808 plus the 323 by Herts CC,  while the 392 (the latter includes the solitary early am jny on 14 from Staple Tye in Harlow) operates "with financial support from Essex CC" (ie not a "full" ECC contract).  Everything else is commercial and thus is always subject to sudden (as distinct from planned) change.

Dave Stewart