Author Topic: Stephensons Running Day, 1st January 2011  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 546
    • ScotBus
Stephensons Running Day, 1st January 2011
« on: December 19, 2010, 02:15:16 PM »
Stephensons Running Day, 1st January 2011 information

http://www.stephensonsofessex.com/pages/enthusiasts/1st-january-2011-heritage-bus-running-day.php

1st January 2011 Heritage Bus Running Day

Fleetline and Routemaster buses

As in previous years, Stephensons are delighted to announce that with help from our friends in the bus industry, a network of special services will operate on Saturday January 1st, 2011 (when Arriva and First local services are not running, save for the Stansted Airport X30 service).

A mix of modern and "heritage" vehicles - including London Routemaster, RT, DMS, Southdown "Queen Mary" types, modern classics (Lynx and Volvo D10M), plus four former Southend Corporation double-deckers will operate from around 0930 to 1700. Key routes serve the Southend, Rochford and Castle Point districts.  The Castle Point Transport Museum on Canvey will be open, served by half-hourly bus from Southend, and refreshments will be available there.  Buses with conductors on some routes provide a reminder of times gone by!

Free feeder services from Chelmsford and Colchester.  No London feeder this year, but buses connect with trains at Benfleet and Southend Central (normal c2c Saturday timetable) and at Rayleigh and Southend Victoria (NXEA special timetable - tube to Newbury Park, fast bus to Billericay, train to Southend).  Photo opportunities provided by the NXEA rail replacement service are a bonus!

Day Rovers - same price as last year (£6)!    And all profits go to charity!

Check back soon for further details and last-minute updates.
   Southend - Westcliff - Leigh Elms - Hadleigh - Tarpots - Benfleet - Canvey - 30 min layover at Castle Point Transport Museum (light refreshments available)
4    Southend - Southchurch - Bournes Green, combining with ...
6    Southend - Southchurch - Garon Park to give a 30 min headway to the White Horse
7    Ashingdon - Rochford - Southend - Thorpe Bay - Shoebury - via traditional route - Prittlewell (Cuckoo Corner), not via the Hospital
21    Southend - General Hospital  - modern Easy Access bus
61    Southend - Bournemouth Park Rd - Fossetts Park (B&Q) - modern Easy Access bus
251    Southend - Kent Elms - Eastwood Road - Rayleigh

Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 31
    • My Flickr Page!
Re: Stephensons Running Day, 1st January 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 02:32:34 PM »
I hoping to finally attend this year, especially after the Ensignbus day was cancelled.

Although it would make things easier if it wasn't on New Years Day!  ;D

Offline Colin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »
Can heartily recommend Winchester as well.

And they don't clash this year!!

Colin

Offline David Stewart

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:27:03 AM »
To answer Alex, the whole point of the operation is that it IS on New Year's Day.  It is run because no other operator (neither Arriva nor First) operate in the Southend area on that day!  Plenty of shops,etc are open and the local populace expect buses to run.   The network gives a skeleton network - and is highly recommended.
Dave Stewart

Offline hobohippie95

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 6
  • London trolleybus 1812 arriving at the EATM
    • East Anglian Transport Museum Website
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
i would like to go but, two things, one the date and two the fact i live in lowestoft .. unfortunatly
Last bus trips:
603 to transport museum
603 to lowestoft bus station
1A to denes high school.

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 06:17:30 PM »
I've seen some photos of the running day, and it is a sign of the times that Olympians are now being classified as classic buses. Makes me feel old!
East Londoner

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 08:25:59 PM »
Makes me think we could do one around these parts, perhaps a Huntingdon Rail Station-St Ives service linked to a St Ives-Somersham (21) service or something? You'd need to do it on a Sunday to stop comlaints from the local operators, and perhas be non-stop between Huntingdon and St Ives........mmm, thoughts of a plan coming to mind......... :)

Offline TonyMaxwell

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 07:02:29 AM »
i would like to go but, two things, one the date and two the fact i live in lowestoft .. unfortunatly

I suppose some has to live in Lowestoft lol ;) ;D
Cheers,

Tony

Offline bristolsrus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 274
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 09:50:57 AM »
Makes me think we could do one around these parts, perhaps a Huntingdon Rail Station-St Ives service linked to a St Ives-Somersham (21) service or something? You'd need to do it on a Sunday to stop comlaints from the local operators, and perhas be non-stop between Huntingdon and St Ives........mmm, thoughts of a plan coming to mind......... :)

Featuring Oly's of a certain age no doubt - and why not !!!   Wouldn't be adverse to seeing Bristol VR or RE's though :) :)    Nice idea mate !

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 01:11:34 PM »
VR's and RE's were my first thought Chris, I shall be opening a little file at home with the idea in and perhaps a thread, we shall see.  :)

Sorry for thread drift.  :-[