Author Topic: Route H1 withdrawn  (Read 2989 times)

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 30
    • My Flickr Page!
Route H1 withdrawn
« on: February 05, 2011, 11:16:43 PM »
The route H1 Essex CC Contract, operated by Regal Busways between Loughton and Harlow via Loughton and Epping, will now be withdrawn from 2nd April 2011.

H1 took over the Saturday service for this route back in Dec 2009, after Imperial Buses stopped operating the route. TWH's route 55 (now 555) replaced the Mon-Fri service.

The route has been cancelled on VOSA Bus registrations, and Loughton Residents Association (LRA) give some info on their website (http://www.loughtonresidents.co.uk/) :

"Withdrawal of service H1
Despite our objections, this service will be withdrawn with effect from April 2nd. It has been operated under contract to Essex County Council by Regal Busways and was introduced in December 2009 to provide a service between Loughton and Harlow on Saturdays. Travel with Hunny (TWH) now run an hourly Saturday service Loughton-Debden-Waltham Abbey-Waltham Cross-Bumbles Green-Harlow. Notices will be placed on buses prior to the withdrawal of this service."

I really don't think this comes to any surprise. TWH's 555 already operates a service from Loughton to Harlow on Saturdays, and there is also the 541 which operates from Loughton to Epping (although does take a longer route). The H1 is direct to Epping, but has a lot of dead mileage between Loughton and Epping, as its just forest, and they won't get many customers on the Epping-Harlow corridor because of the frequenct services offered by Arriva and SM Coaches (although Arriva have withdrawn from this  corridor today). I don't think it was a good use of money for Essex CC to be supporting this rather pointless service. I've seen the route often in Loughton with no passengers, and the photos i've seen of the route also sho low patronage. Also, from 14th Feb, TWH will have the X5 operating, which will offer the direct service to Epping Mon-Sat.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:54:49 PM by alex1234 »

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
Re: Route H1 withdrawn
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
Today was supposed to be the last day of the H1, but the service did not run. Very annoying, as I planned to use this service for the last time today. Won't get the chance again!

Offline harz99

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 0
  • Former 1940's petrol engine Canadian Ford in NZ
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
Today was supposed to be the last day of the H1, but the service did not run. Very annoying, as I planned to use this service for the last time today. Won't get the chance again!

I think you misunderstood "withdrawn from 2nd April" means just that; no service from that day.  I must admit to preferring the longer (and clearer) phrase "withdrawn after operation on ............." (in this case 1st April).

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:35:39 PM »

I think you misunderstood "withdrawn from 2nd April" means just that; no service from that day.  I must admit to preferring the longer (and clearer) phrase "withdrawn after operation on ............." (in this case 1st April).

Makes sense now. Its very misleading though!

Offline David Stewart

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 36
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 01:21:58 PM »
Alex did not misunderstand.  The actual date shown on the registration is that the H1 was cancelled w.e.f. 3rd April (ie Sunday). That is the correct way to show it and which means that the last day should have been Saturday 2nd.  Also, all EssexCC contract services always change from a Sunday, thus again Sat 2nd was the last day of its registration.  Looks like Regal misunderstood, not Alex.
Dave Stewart

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 01:50:37 PM »
Alex did not misunderstand.  The actual date shown on the registration is that the H1 was cancelled w.e.f. 3rd April (ie Sunday). That is the correct way to show it and which means that the last day should have been Saturday 2nd.  Also, all EssexCC contract services always change from a Sunday, thus again Sat 2nd was the last day of its registration.  Looks like Regal misunderstood, not Alex.
Dave Stewart

Ok, thanks Dave. Is rather annoying, but I don't think many people noticed as hardly anyone used the service.
Also I think I should mention, before Saturday, all the H1 e-tiles and timetables were removed from the TfL bus stops in Loughton (we have TfL stops despite being out the TfL-zone).

Offline harz99

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 0
  • Former 1940's petrol engine Canadian Ford in NZ
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
Dave Stewart

Well there you go; my comment was based on what was written in Alex's first post, not an investigation of the service registration.

David, you are of course correct regarding the way that a cancellation of registration should be shown, however the information posted for the general public to read is often phrased in much more ambiguous terms, which is why such confusions occur and why I prefer (and have used in my own past operations) the wording "withdrawn after operation on".

Regal clearly do not have any excuse.