Author Topic: Norwich Park & Ride changes from April 2011  (Read 6995 times)

Offline Andy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 20
Norwich Park & Ride changes from April 2011
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
Norfolk County Council have today announced the details of changes that will take place on Norwich Park & Ride from April - these changes are a result of the council spending cuts, Norfolk County Council predicts that these changes will save up to £1m per year.

The changes that will take place are listed below...

- The frequency of each service will be reduced from every 10 minutes to every 15 minutes.

- Morning services from Costessey, Harford, Postwick and Spowston will start 20 minutes later at 0700.

- Evening services back to all sites except Thickthorn will finish earlier at 1830.

- Saturday services from the least popular sites Costessey and Postwick will be scrapped.

- Fares will also change with fares rising by up to 15%, a £1 flat return fare will also be introduced for holders of concessionary passes.

- Changes to the Park & Ride sites which are managed by the councils commerial company Norse will include the closure of on site waiting rooms, toilets and offices as well as a reduction in maintenance work.

Norfolk County Council say they have no choice but to make these cuts which will help them save £2m from the Park & Ride subsidy over the next three years. The council also stress that they will continue to offer a substantial Park & Ride service in the future and that Norwich P&R will still be the biggest Park & Ride scheme in England.

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
Re: Norwich Park & Ride changes from April 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:09:11 PM »
Painful cuts, especially at Costessey and Postwick. I suppose the reduction in frequency will make a bus spare on each route.
East Londoner

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 135
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
Ouch.  Every 12 mins might be enough for a turn up and go service at a push, but add one bus delayed by something and every 15 mins isn't.

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:56:18 PM »
The council also stress ...... that Norwich P&R will still be the biggest Park & Ride scheme in England.

Oh well I am sure that is all anyone is bothered about!   ::)

Offline Andy

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:19:34 PM »
The council also stress ...... that Norwich P&R will still be the biggest Park & Ride scheme in England.

Oh well I am sure that is all anyone is bothered about!   ::)
I imagine they are *trying* to soften the blow

Offline Derrick Pancel

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »
I wonder how the Cambridge and Oxford P&R schemes compare in size to Norwich ?

Offline grandad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 04:24:46 PM »
Norwich has 6 sites with 4938 spaces
Cambridge 5 sites with 4630 spaces
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:32:02 PM by grandad »
Flog

Offline Danny

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 07:00:18 PM »
Norwich has 6 sites with 4938 spaces
Cambridge 5 sites with 4630 spaces

And Oxford has 5 sites with 4870 spaces.

But Oxford does have special routes from some of the car parks to the hospital (i.e. direct & not via the city centre), and of course the London/Heathrow/Gatwick coaches call in as well.

Offline hobohippie95

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 6
  • London trolleybus 1812 arriving at the EATM
    • East Anglian Transport Museum Website
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:47:12 PM »
today at school, we had a disscussion about football fans behaving badly, and with the postwic p+r scrapping saturday services, which are used by footbal fans on norwich city f.c home games so, they are more likely going to either get other services which will become more crowded or use the train which is already overcrowded so as you can see it won't be a smart move
Last bus trips:
603 to transport museum
603 to lowestoft bus station
1A to denes high school.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 135
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 03:20:50 AM »
I say this having no knowledge of Norwich P&R, where it's sites are, and what the links between them are like at all.

But could it maybe be the case that there are too many sites, and that less bigger ones with more frequent services might be more efficient?

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • J621BVG
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 04:15:37 PM »
I say this having no knowledge of Norwich P&R, where it's sites are, and what the links between them are like at all.

But could it maybe be the case that there are too many sites, and that less bigger ones with more frequent services might be more efficient?
The sites are all on major roads, and apart from (to the best of my knowledge) Postwick and Sprowston, the rest are spaced out evenly near the ring road and are not near others.
East Londoner

Offline Colin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 05:53:43 PM »
Costessey to Thickthorn is about 4 miles, Postwich to Harford about 5 1/2 miles, along a dual carriageway road.

Not really that much of a hardship, if you've travelled any distance to get there. The Costessey bus passes the entrance to Thickthorn anyway, so the overall journey is no longer.

For my part, I always have to use Thickthorn (having driven past Costessey to get there), as my daughter insists we catch the pink bus, rather than the green one!!!

I gather I am not alone.

Colin

Offline Andy

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »
Costessey to Thickthorn is about 4 miles, Postwich to Harford about 5 1/2 miles, along a dual carriageway road.

Not really that much of a hardship, if you've travelled any distance to get there. The Costessey bus passes the entrance to Thickthorn anyway, so the overall journey is no longer.

For my part, I always have to use Thickthorn (having driven past Costessey to get there), as my daughter insists we catch the pink bus, rather than the green one!!!

I gather I am not alone.

Colin
Your daughter has good tastes, the pink ones are better, and they're DAF DB250's too which is always a plus point ;D

Offline Buspasstony

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 07:27:48 PM »

I gather I am not alone.

Colin.

My daughter who lives near the back of Harford P & R has to go to Sprowston to get a bus because her daughter wants to go on the Purple bus, so the different colours mean different things to different people.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:51:02 PM by Andy James »

Offline hobohippie95

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 02:41:29 AM »

The sites are all on major roads, and apart from (to the best of my knowledge) Postwick and Sprowston, the rest are spaced out evenly near the ring road and are not near others.

just to correct you there postwick is on the A47 , it is the first one ou reach coming along the A47 from yarmouth
Last bus trips:
603 to transport museum
1A to denes high school.

Adam Dowling

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 10:25:43 AM »
As is Costessey, and Thickthorn is on the A11/A47 junction. I see what Laine means though as the A47 does do a half loop around Norwich...

Offline thebroadsman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 11:15:32 AM »
Another point that needs clearing up is the comments re footbal fans and the closure of Postwick on Saturdays. Yes it's not far to motor around the bypass to Thickthorn, but the Postwick bus drops and picks up at Thorpe station close to the footbal ground.

Offline Andy

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 02:25:28 PM »
Another point that needs clearing up is the comments re footbal fans and the closure of Postwick on Saturdays. Yes it's not far to motor around the bypass to Thickthorn, but the Postwick bus drops and picks up at Thorpe station close to the footbal ground.
Just discovered that from 02/04/11 Postwick service will no longer serve Thorpe Road (Railway Station) or Castle Meadow - it will instead operate via the southern bypass

Also, from the same date the Costessy service will now operate via the University Of East Anglia with a revised frequency of every 20 mins.

For full details of new times/fares visit www.norfolk.gov.uk/Travel_and_transport/Public_transport_and_community_transport/Park_and_ride/NCC088779/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:27:04 PM by Andy James »

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • J621BVG
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »
Another point that needs clearing up is the comments re football fans and the closure of Postwick on Saturdays. Yes it's not far to motor around the bypass to Thickthorn, but the Postwick bus drops and picks up at Thorpe station close to the football ground.
Just discovered that from 02/04/11 Postwick service will no longer serve Thorpe Road (Railway Station) or Castle Meadow - it will instead operate via the southern bypass

Also, from the same date the Costessy service will now operate via the University Of East Anglia with a revised frequency of every 20 mins.

For full details of new times/fares visit www.norfolk.gov.uk/Travel_and_transport/Public_transport_and_community_transport/Park_and_ride/NCC088779/
Ouch! Costessey will only have three buses an hour? That certainly won't be a turn-up and go service. This might sound silly, but could this be an example of closure by stealth, whereby with the reduced frequency, people will stop using the Costessey park and ride site in favour of Thickthorn or Harford.
East Londoner

Offline hobohippie95

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »
true, but it may now get new people who are visiting the UEA as a way of not having to park at the university
Last bus trips:
603 to transport museum
1A to denes high school.

Adam Dowling

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 09:12:29 PM »
true, but it may now get new people who are visiting the UEA as a way of not having to park at the university

I would imagine parking at the university is free, so people won't park in a car park somewhere else and then pay for a bus journey.

Offline hobohippie95

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 09:30:51 PM »
good point, i can see what you mean, i suppose it will still get used by people coming from he swaffham direction as it is the first one in that direction
Last bus trips:
603 to transport museum
1A to denes high school.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 527
    • ScotBus
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 10:34:29 PM »

That link does not work Andy...
The NCC website seems to be tempramental based on what the referring page is (or at least I think that is the cause).

If you click http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/Travel_and_transport/Public_transport_and_community_transport/Park_and_ride/index.htm then the link is Click here for details at the end of the third bullet point.

It may also work if you copy Andy's link then open a new page/tab and paste it in.

Offline Andy

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 10:47:18 PM »

That link does not work Andy...
The NCC website seems to be tempramental based on what the referring page is (or at least I think that is the cause).

If you click http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/Travel_and_transport/Public_transport_and_community_transport/Park_and_ride/index.htm then the link is Click here for details at the end of the third bullet point.

It may also work if you copy Andy's link then open a new page/tab and paste it in.
The NCC website tends to do that - it worked when I posted it.