Author Topic: AL SOTD Spring 2011 (Mar, Apr, May)  (Read 1405 times)

andrewbus42

AL SOTD Spring 2011 (Mar, Apr, May)
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:23:55 AM »
Arriva London SOTD Spring 2011 (Mar, Apr, May)

Ready for all your sightings!

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
Re: AL SOTD Spring 2011 (Mar, Apr, May)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »
May as well use this thread!  :D :D

Yesterday, in Walthamstow, I spotted DLA58 S258JUA on a Barnet-bound 34. I assume this is a rare sighting, as large numbers of these central-staircase, S and T reg DLAs are being cleared out of London to the North West. It will be a big shame when the last of these ones go. I had a few rides on the original batch on the 242 many years ago, and they had much more character than the later DLAs, as well as proper seats on the top deck!

Also on the same day, I spotted Dart S170JUA on a Chingford-bound 444. This batch are usually used on the 78 if I remember correctly, and their time in London is also drawing to a close.
East Londoner

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 31
    • My Flickr Page!
Re: AL SOTD Spring 2011 (Mar, Apr, May)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 11:56:51 AM »
May as well use this thread!  :D :D

Yesterday, in Walthamstow, I spotted DLA58 S258JUA on a Barnet-bound 34. I assume this is a rare sighting, as large numbers of these central-staircase, S and T reg DLAs are being cleared out of London to the North West. It will be a big shame when the last of these ones go. I had a few rides on the original batch on the 242 many years ago, and they had much more character than the later DLAs, as well as proper seats on the top deck!

Also on the same day, I spotted Dart S170JUA on a Chingford-bound 444. This batch are usually used on the 78 if I remember correctly, and their time in London is also drawing to a close.

DLA58, along with DLA57 (S257JUA), can regularly be seen on Edmonton-based routes 20 and 34. Although, their time at Edmonton is limited, as I believe they are being used as refurbishment floats.
I'm used to riding on Y and 03-reg DLAs, and when I get a ride on the S-regs I do notice they have a more powerful-sounding engine, and I do like the peculiar layout and metal-bar seats.

Also, Edmonton has many of the S-reg ADLs which were previously used on Ash Grove-based route 78, but new double deckers were introduced on the route, meaning some passed to Edmonton to provide more capacity on route W15, but they can also be seen on Edmonton's other single deck routes, including the 397 and 444.

I am a regular user of both the 20 and 397, so its great to have both the older S-reg ALX200s and DAF/ALX400s sometimes appearing.