Author Topic: First out of Wellingborough?  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
First out of Wellingborough?
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:14:50 PM »
Also, note the address...

PF0007045/75 - NORTHAMPTON TRANSPORT LTD, FIRST MIDLANDS STAFF, DIVIDY ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5YY
    * Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Wellingborough, Church Street and Bozeat, St Marys Road given service number W8 effective from 24-Apr-2011.

PF0007045/76 - NORTHAMPTON TRANSPORT LTD, FIRST MIDLANDS STAFF, DIVIDY ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5YY
    * Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Wellingborough, Church Street and Wellingborough, Redhill Grange given service number W6 effective from 24-Apr-2011.

PF0007045/77 - NORTHAMPTON TRANSPORT LTD, FIRST MIDLANDS STAFF, DIVIDY ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5YY
    * Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Wellingborough, Church Street and Wellingborough, Senwick Road given service number W7 effective from 24-Apr-2011.

PF0007045/78 - NORTHAMPTON TRANSPORT LTD, FIRST MIDLANDS STAFF, DIVIDY ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5YY
    * Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Wellingbrough, Church Street and Wellingborough, Barnwell Road given service number W4 effective from 24-Apr-2011.
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline Stonechat

• Thank You
  • -Given: 278
  • -Receive: 125
Re: First out of Wellingborough?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 06:38:01 PM »
These are Northants County Council subsidised services operated by First using NCC-owned and -liveried vehicles. NCC funding is being drastically reduced across the County.

Expect similar announcements re their Stagecoach-operated services soon?

Tony

Offline Stonechat

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »
I've thought a bit more about this. While what I said above is still valid, it does not take into account what FN's current general plans might be (no sniggering now!).

I believe that the County Council's original decision to award some of the Connect Wellingborough work to FN was political. Neither FN, nor it's predecessors, has any history of operating in Wellingborough which always was a UCOC patch. For FN it involves dead mileage of about 100 miles per day! (Two x Northampton - Wellingborough for the working vehicles and Two x the same for the driver shuttles).

As FN seem to be retrenching all round, perhaps they are jumping now, rather than waiting to be pushed?

And the date for deregistration, 24 April 2011, why then? Is this date significant elsewhere?

Tony

Offline Dale

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 06:53:40 PM »
Isn't the date about the time that the tenders finished anyway?

Dale

Offline AN68

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 09:37:06 PM »
Tuesday 26th April is when the schools re-open following the Easter Holidays. Council service revisions have always tended to coincide with the start of a new school term.

Offline Big Bus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
  • When I was a bit older!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »
I've thought a bit more about this. While what I said above is still valid, it does not take into account what FN's current general plans might be (no sniggering now!).

I believe that the County Council's original decision to award some of the Connect Wellingborough work to FN was political. Neither FN, nor it's predecessors, has any history of operating in Wellingborough which always was a UCOC patch. For FN it involves dead mileage of about 100 miles per day! (Two x Northampton - Wellingborough for the working vehicles and Two x the same for the driver shuttles).

As FN seem to be retrenching all round, perhaps they are jumping now, rather than waiting to be pushed?

And the date for deregistration, 24 April 2011, why then? Is this date significant elsewhere?

Tony

As far as I can ascertain FN won the tender by quoting less than Stagecoach, but realised that they had quoted too low and tried to give the contract back, but had spent all the money given for the sevices!

Offline Derrick Pancel

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 02:21:05 PM »
As far as I can ascertain FN won the tender by quoting less than Stagecoach, but realised that they had quoted too low and tried to give the contract back, but had spent all the money given for the sevices!

You really couldn't make that up !  :D

Offline Mutly

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 64
  • The Best Bus ever Built, Fact!!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 12:11:39 AM »
 it'll be interesting to see what happens to the three Solo's which are council owned like the Stagecoach examples,
 Perhaps they will end with Stagecoach?

Offline Stonechat

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 09:02:40 AM »
Even if (and it must be a big if) NCC keep their Solos, Stagecoach will have released two by giving up the W3 and the 24/W5. So they won't need them, even if they took on FN's work.

Tony

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 07:48:13 PM »
Pic from Stonechat from First's last day on the W8... sorry for the delay!

"Suzy, I'm having problems uploading photos at the moment. Could you do me a favour and put this topical one on the forum for me?

It shows Solo 53073 (KX06 APZ) on the last-ever First working, the 18.47 Wellingborough to Bozeat.this evening. Note the appreciative driver! He's giving me the thumbs-up Suzy. He also braked the bus to give me more time for the shot!"

Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 07:55:01 PM »
... and now the photo  ;D
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »

Tony

Not sure I understand that statement. Once a contract is awarded you normally get paid up to 3 months in arrears. So how could they have spent the money, unless its being operated differently?

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 11:17:45 PM »
Not sure I understand that statement. Once a contract is awarded you normally get paid up to 3 months in arrears. So how could they have spent the money, unless its being operated differently?

It *may* mean (but I'd like to know too!) that First won it by putting in a low bid, then tried to hand it back after being awarded. There is usually a clause for "unforseen circumstances" OR they simply could not have signed the letter to accept the tender - then it would have been retendered, or gone to the next bidder. IME, one particular operator has done this three times to the same council in less than ten years. This is also a nationaly quoted PLC, but not part of First. Smaller operators do it a lot more often.

When the money was spent - I think that means to say the council's transport budget?
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 05:14:36 PM »
Can think of a couple of services on which this has happened and were probably thinking of the same operator Suzy.  ;)

Offline TrevorWatson

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 09:48:54 PM »
Looks like at least some of the services are going to Centrebus

PF0002280/160 CENTREBUS LTD, 102 CANNOCK STREET LEICESTER LE4 9HR
To: Wellingborough, Church Street
Via:
Name or No: W3
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 08-May-2011
Other Details: Mondays to Saturdays except bank/public holidays.
PF0002280/161
CENTREBUS LTD, 102 CANNOCK STREET LEICESTER LE4 9HR
To: Wellingborough, Church Street
Via:
Name or No: W4
Effective Date: 24-Apr-2011
CENTREBUS LTD, 102 CANNOCK STREET LEICESTER LE4 9HR
PF0002280/162
To: Wellingborough, St Marys Road
Via:
Name or No: W8
Effective Date: 24-Apr-2011