Author Topic: Good news or bad news?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
Good news or bad news?
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:49:44 PM »
BUSWAY HANDED OVER TO COUNTY COUNCIL

Contractors BAM Nuttall have completed the Busway project today and handed over the route to Cambridgeshire County Council.

Mark Lloyd, Chief Executive of Cambridgeshire County Council, met with BAM Nuttall’s top boss – Steve Fox – today to finalise the completion of the contract and the handover of the project.

Mark Lloyd said: “Both Steve and I are delighted all the mandatory checks have now been carried out and the route has been handed over to the Council. The Council’s objective has always been to deliver a high quality route that will provide a fantastic service for our communities for many years to come. The handover of the route is the first big step towards the route opening.”

Steve Fox, BAM Nuttall’s Chief Executive, said: “BAM Nuttall is very proud to have built the longest Guided Busway in the world, which once open, will provide a world beating service. I am glad both the Council and BAM Nuttall have taken a positive step forward today. I, like everyone at BAM Nuttall, look forward to seeing buses running along this high quality scheme as soon as possible.”

Roy Pegram, Cambridgeshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Growth, Infrastructure and Strategic Planning, said: “The handover of The Busway is the news residents have been looking forward to. This is the first big step towards the route opening, but I would like to remind residents that the announcement of the opening date is still some way off.

“We expect around 3.5 million trips per year will be made on the route once it opens and it will certainly be the best way to travel to avoid the frequent queues and congestion on the A14.”

At the beginning of May the Council will begin adding a blacktop surface to the cycleway between Swavesey and Milton Road, as well as surfacing the southern section. An additional junction to help access to the Clay Farm development – funded by developers – will also be carried out.

Notes:

The handover of the route means the 28 day period for BAM Nuttall to fix defects has begun.

Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Good news or bad news?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 08:54:09 PM »
I was just in mere shock that we finally have substantial movement.

Theoretically this now means that it might just be possible for services to be running from either the late August/early September or the October service changes. The only question now is what services will actually run.

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:23:11 PM »
I was just in mere shock that we finally have substantial movement.

Is that movement of the concrete beams, or the subsoil below then? :D

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1549
  • -Receive: 211
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:27:20 AM »
Busway handover welcomed but there is more work to do

Quote from: Jack Grove, Cambridge News, 23/04/2011 08:05 - Updated: 23/04/2011 09:52
Critics of the guided busway have given a cautious welcome to the route’s handover to Cambridgeshire County Council and hope it can be opened in August.

Contractor BAM Nuttall has declared that the St Ives to Cambridge track is finally complete – more than two years after its original planned start date. The announcement Thursday allows the council to take ownership of the busway, which has risen in cost from about £120 million to £181 million.

The construction giant has 28 days to fix any defects before the county council’s own operators move in. Bus testing will then follow, with the busway possibly opening in August, the latest in a long line of opening dates. Despite the prospect of further work...

Attention will now turn to the issue of who should pay the extra costs of the project. The council has been fining BAM £14,000 a day since February 2009 – racking up penalties of more than £10 million.

Cllr Tariq Sadiq, the council’s Labour group leader, said: "The legal battle could now run for several years before any outcome is reached. With about £60 million at stake, the council has to be prepared to take a hit on some of it. "I don’t think BAM Nuttall comes out of this well. They have obviously been dragging their feet and don’t appear to have taken the issue of defects seriously."

Tim Phillips, spokesman for the rail lobby group Cast.Iron, said: "There is no way BAM Nuttall will roll over and accept these penalty charges. "Even when the busway does open, it will be another three or four years until we can gauge whether it has been a success." ...

Full article and readers' comments
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline alan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »
Cycled from Cambridge to St Ives and back again, on, and on the track, by the busway on Saturday - it was a very pleasant, peaceful, enjoyable and relaxing ride in the sun. In some respects it will be quite disappointing when the sounds of buses passing spoil that tranquility. Enjoy the peaceful bike ride with the sounds of nature in the background while you can!

stagecoach106

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 01:48:22 AM »
Cycled from Cambridge to St Ives and back again, on, and on the track, by the busway on Saturday - it was a very pleasant, peaceful, enjoyable and relaxing ride in the sun. In some respects it will be quite disappointing when the sounds of buses passing spoil that tranquility. Enjoy the peaceful bike ride with the sounds of nature in the background while you can!
take long .??

Offline alan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:57:09 AM »
Inside two hours each way if you cycle at a gentle pace - could be much quicker if you are determined. But on a nice day take a picnic and enjoy the ride and tranquillity in open countryside to the sound of the birds in the background! (While we can!)

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 166
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:58:26 AM »
Inside two hours each way if you cycle at a gentle pace - could be much quicker if you are determined. But on a nice day take a picnic and enjoy the ride and tranquillity in open countryside to the sound of the birds in the background! (While we can!)
Sounds good to me.
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline samw

• Forum Technical Support
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 47
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 06:35:08 PM »
The bus-way featured on Look East at lunch time today; I imagine it will be on tonight's edition if anyone turns over now!
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support