Author Topic: East of England Showground  (Read 2507 times)

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 93
East of England Showground
« on: April 14, 2011, 01:53:24 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance but I've been trying to figure out if I can catch a bus to the East of England Showground on Saturday for the Motorhome show and dispite the fact that I've always considered myself pretty good at timetables etc I can't for the life of me work out if I can or can't. Both Stagecoach and the showgrounds website are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard and I've tried a local site which is pretty good and says service 24 goes there but the Stagecoach timetable doesn't list it and I don't know the area so I'm left clueless, I can here sound of my car engine starting (for a quick 20 minute trip) as I type......... ;) ::) ::)

All help appreciated, over to you guys and girls.......

Offline dennisdart

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 483
Re: East of England Showground
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 02:01:49 PM »
Try Brendan's site at

http://www.pbt.org.uk/

According to that you can get a 23 every hour. Look in the timetables section and
call up the city timetables for Showground. Destinations are in alphabetical order.

Offline DGH

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 02:26:10 PM »
Thanks Dennis, done that to start with but the route doesn't list the showground and I cant seem to back trace the other destinations on my map and work out were the bus actually goes. I figure I can get the City 1 and then have about a 1km walk but was thinking something slightly closer. Was hoping one of the regulars might have some 'on the spot' info for me.  :)

Did anybody go to the Coach Rally by service bus?

Offline Steven Knight Media

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 347
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 03:53:45 PM »
The 23 and 24 serve Lynch Wood, (the stop you need is the last one on the business park before the bus rejoins the main road. You then need tio cross the road and walk down past Harvester and the Showground is in front of you. There may then be a long walk depending on which part of the showground is used.

Offline DGH

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »
Thankyou for that 'Big Red' will have a closer look on googlemaps and see if I can work it out. Ta.  :)

Offline Cheltonian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 141
  • -Receive: 222
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 04:49:13 PM »
It is also possible to use Citi 1, which is far more frequent (every 10 mins) and runs later into the night. You need to get off near Orton Wistow school and walk through onto Lynchwood (the road as apposed to Lynch Wood the area). The walk will take 10-15 mins longer than getting off at the stop used by the 24.
See my latest photo's on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheltonian1966/

Number of individual vehicles recorded as travelled on at end of July 2019 : 14,511

Celebrating over 57 years interest in Buses and Coaches

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 532
  • -Receive: 90
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 06:45:16 PM »
The 23 and 24 serve Lynch Wood, (the stop you need is the last one on the business park before the bus rejoins the main road. You then need tio cross the road and walk down past Harvester and the Showground is in front of you. There may then be a long walk depending on which part of the showground is used.

I went to the Coach Rally using the shuttle bus and I can confirm that it is a long walk.  There is an entrance on the south side of the showground which is used for the East of England show itself but that was closed for the coach rally so everything had to enter past Harvestor and work its way around. The southern entrance looks near the Citi1 stop mentioned above.

Offline TrevorWatson

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 09:47:11 PM »
The Motor Home Show I believe uses most of the Showground so the front entrances should be open if not for bigger Shows they usually have the nearest West side entrance open. The Coach Rally is limited to the back entrance as it is based at the Exhibition Centre at the rear rather than the the whole Showground. This is a long walk of about 15 minutes so something to remember if visiting the Rally on foot.

For many events shuttle buses run from the City Centre Bus Station so worth checking out too

Trevor

Offline DGH

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
Thanks again everybody, I will let you know how I get on!!  :) :)