Author Topic: When will First leave Northampton?  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 19
When will First leave Northampton?
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:57:01 PM »
I see today that First are to pull everything out of Kings Lynn and I wonder how long it will be before they do the same thing at Northampton, I, for one, can hardly wait.

What do you think Dale?

Offline Jamie V (AO02RBX)

• Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 26
    • Jimbosbus Flickr
Re: When will First leave Northampton?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:16:14 PM »
I see today that First are to pull everything out of Kings Lynn and I wonder how long it will be before they do the same thing at Northampton, I, for one, can hardly wait.

What do you think Dale?

The problem is as First have experience in Leeds is its good disposing of areas like Northampton, but in one sense it will cost them keeping such a big bit of land doing nothing like Cherry Row in Leeds which has been stood doing nothing for many years now but now is being used for storage so it can at least be used for something! Advantage at Lynn is the Excel X1 is to be retained so everything can move into VA and then First won't have to use Saddlebow to store vehicles.

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:29:34 PM »

What do you think Dale?

What is the current peak vehicle requirement for Northampton? Can't be that high. It will be a day of celebration when First pull out of Northampton. Maybe by the end of the year?
East Londoner

Offline Dale

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 06:28:02 PM »
Dennis,

Funny that you should post that - I was just about to do the same.

Presumably, this is the new (well respected) management team starting to make the first common sense decision at First in a very long time. If they sort out Kings Lynn so easily then it suggests that Northampton can't be far off their radar.

With the loss of Wellingborough local work shortly, and ignoring Luton Airport, I would guess that the pvr for Northampton itself can't now be much more than 30-ish (?). It will, of course, be a shame to see a once-proud (and highly profitable) municipal bite the dust in such a sad way, but then the downfall seems to have been largely created by First themselves.

Dale

What do you think Dale?

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:28:58 PM »
Dale

Your description of our once municipal undertaking is very accurate.

I have lived in Northampton all my life and have very fond memories ofr our immaculate red/cream Daimler CVG6 double decks, they would be considered outdated nowadays with their half cabs and open rear platforms but they were kept in superb condition both cosmetically and mechanically and were a credit to the town, but as soon as Grampian/First took over the rot set in and  nothing has been the same since.

Northampton Corporation Transport looked after the citizens of the town but this lot only consider profit, if the service does not pay then cut it out and damn the inconvenience to the passengere who used it.

We have a yearly Heritage weekend each September andsome of our original buses have been preserved and are used for tours round the town, I hope the powers that be at First see them , they should hang their heads in shame after using us their dustbin for the last few years !!!