Author Topic: First introduces 190 Sunday Service  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 67
  • -Receive: 569
    • ScotBus
First introduces 190 Sunday Service
« on: June 02, 2011, 03:46:38 PM »
New 190 Sunday Service
Sunday 29 May 2011

First, in its latest improvement to route 190, is proud to announce it will be operating a new Sunday & Public Holiday service from 5 June 2011. The service will be approximately hourly for most of the day, all the way from Bracknell to Reading.

As part of a special introductory promotion, we will also be operating buses at these times FREE OF CHARGE on Sunday 29 May 2011.

The introduction of this Sunday Service will mean First season tickets holders and customers who purchase our special 1-week and 4-week 190 tickets have more options for weekend travel and their tickets offer even greater value for money.

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 93
Re: First introduces 190 Sunday Service
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »
Introduction? Blimey when I lived in Bracknell we had an hourly service Windsor-Bracknell-Reading all day Sunday right upto 2300.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 67
  • -Receive: 569
    • ScotBus
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:15:58 PM »
Introduction? Blimey when I lived in Bracknell we had an hourly service Windsor-Bracknell-Reading all day Sunday right upto 2300.

Courtney Coaches were running it up to that point, under contract to Bracknell BC IIRC.

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:59:50 PM »
Courtney still do run.
So we now have the situation of fourteen services a day, run by two operators.  However:
One runs every hour, the other runs every ninety minutes.
One takes an average of fourty four minutes, the other takes fifty.
Both have a break in service early afternoon (presumably for crew lunch breaks)

The result is higgledy with very uneven intervals.  There are gaps of as much as an hour and three quarters at lunchtime, while twice in the day buses leave Reading just five minutes apart, and then due to different timings arrive in Bracknell at either the same time or with the later departure having overtaked the earlier one!

They clearly did not work together on this.  Had they done so then they could have produced a decent regular interval service which would be beneficial to all.

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 131
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 07:03:28 AM »
Are those really 1-minute turnrounds in Reading? Ambitious...

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 07:04:43 AM »

Courtney Coaches were running it up to that point, under contract to Bracknell BC IIRC.

I was thinking more late eighties/early nineties, when it was The Beeline with VR's and National's and Courtney Coaches just had a couple of old Bedfords, a couple of Leopards, a Volvo and a new Bedford - how times have changed!!

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 09:16:04 PM »
I picked up the current First Berkshire timetable this week, and was amazed at what I read when I got to the page with the Sunday 190 on it.

First have made a bold effort to state:
"The present sunday service on Route 190 (operated by Courtney Coaches on behalf of Wokingham Borough Council) will not apply after 22 May 2011."

This is clearly incorrect, as Courtney are still running their own service (shown on their website and Traveline).
The question to ask I suppose is whether this was an error, or part of a First Group ploy to move passengers to their new service.....
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:19:25 PM by DavidG »

Offline Danny

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:51:35 PM »
This is clearly incorrect, as Courtney are still running their own service (shown on their website and Traveline).
The question to ask I suppose is whether this was an error, or part of a First Group ploy to move passengers to their new service.....

No it's not - the previous Courtney service ran every hour, when they took it on commercially (and First started running on Sundays) it dropped down to every 90 minutes.

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 06:40:14 PM »
No it's not - the previous Courtney service ran every hour, when they took it on commercially (and First started running on Sundays) it dropped down to every 90 minutes.
Fair point.  Yes the previous timetable is no longer running, but the message in the First timetable could be read to imply (as I did) that Courtney are no longer running at all.
Their guide includes details of Evening and Sunday services that Courtney run exclusively (171, 172 and 194), but does not positively mention that Courtney also operate on the 190 route.