Author Topic: Busway breakdown...  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Andy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 20
Busway breakdown...
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:04:51 PM »
CCC/CEN have released a video of the busway recovery vehicle in action rescuing a Whippet B7RLE, it can be found on the CEN website www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Video-Guided-bus-breakdown-no-problem-21062011.htm

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 19
Re: Busway breakdown...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 06:11:19 PM »
Good to see what can be done.  We will have to wait and see what happens in practice.
Interesting what the report says about diverting round the obstruction.
I assume this means instigating some form of single line working over the opposite carriageway.

If you watch the video and pause at 1:06, you have a perfect image and caption for the publicity material....

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 166
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »
Of interest to the commercial vehicle enthusists is the use of an 1985ish Scania lorry to do the pulling!
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline Danny

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »
If you watch the video and pause at 1:06, you have a perfect image and caption for the publicity material....

LOL!  ;D

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 187
  • -Receive: 364
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:51:17 PM »
I thought it was nice to see the media being positive about the Busway for a change!!

David
My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:02:15 PM »
I thought it was nice to see the media being positive about the Busway for a change!!

David
Savour the moment. I'm sure it won't last.

Offline Worm22002

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 09:45:33 PM »
the bus featured is AE59 EHO  ;D

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 142
  • -Receive: 124
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:30:47 AM »
I'm happy that there's progress and that the guideway is now being tested.

But...

It's not really the media being positive, it's more the media being lazy and regurgitating a press release without thought...  ;)

I like how they're suddenly trying to compare the busway to trains when discussing disruptions, without mentioning that when comparing a functioning busway to a functioning railway, the busway has few of the benefits.

The towing speed seems to be (as would be expected) very slow.  What's the average length of guided section? 

Additionally, I'm not sure what the beneficial comparison they're trying to draw is.  Single lane working isn't an option (I hope); the risk of a communication breakdown resulting in a head on collision is too great.

Further... the tow truck driver has to get to the tow truck, which has to get to the busway (possibly via a congested A14), and then has to reverse to the stranded bus (presumably slowly, and potentially over a long stretch), and it then had to tow the bus out (also slowly). 

This is going to take the busway out of action for a considerable period, during which there is no easy alternative road route for the majority of the length it serves.

I think the truth is that we've just watched a video demonstration of all the disadvantages of a railway, but with very few of the advantages.

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 495
  • -Receive: 69
  • Lovely Leyland Leopards :-)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 07:38:17 AM »
I'm happy that there's progress and that the guideway is now being tested.

But...

It's not really the media being positive, it's more the media being lazy and regurgitating a press release without thought...  ;)

I like how they're suddenly trying to compare the busway to trains when discussing disruptions, without mentioning that when comparing a functioning busway to a functioning railway, the busway has few of the benefits.

The towing speed seems to be (as would be expected) very slow.  What's the average length of guided section? 

Additionally, I'm not sure what the beneficial comparison they're trying to draw is.  Single lane working isn't an option (I hope); the risk of a communication breakdown resulting in a head on collision is too great.

Further... the tow truck driver has to get to the tow truck, which has to get to the busway (possibly via a congested A14), and then has to reverse to the stranded bus (presumably slowly, and potentially over a long stretch), and it then had to tow the bus out (also slowly). 

This is going to take the busway out of action for a considerable period, during which there is no easy alternative road route for the majority of the length it serves.

I think the truth is that we've just watched a video demonstration of all the disadvantages of a railway, but with very few of the advantages.

I can't help but agree with these sentiments.....

Offline Worm22002

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 08:45:06 PM »
AE59 EHO was towed slowly as the half shaft was still in. Towing speed should be alot more :)