Author Topic: Newbury depot rundown  (Read 1608 times)

Offline SURREYMAN

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 28
Newbury depot rundown
« on: June 29, 2011, 01:04:28 PM »
Copied and pasted from Merseyside Dennis Dart site;

Details from the Buszone Yahoo Group page,

"Newbury Buses, bar the Vodafone contract, is closing down after operation on the 27th August. The routes are to be taken over by other operators (Stagecoach are expected to take Reading's share of the Link) with the depot remaining open for the Vodafone work.

16 of the for-sale OmniDekkas are reported to have been acquired by Go South Coast for the Alton College contract they have won from Stagecoach. Those acquired are a mixture of the 54-reg 811-17 and the 06-reg 819-25/7-34".

It sounds as, if rather than fully closing, Newbury is actually downscaling to become an outstation purely for the Vodafone contract.
Will be interesting to see what happens and whether Weaverway expands.

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
Re: Newbury depot rundown
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »
I wonder who will take over the town services?
East Londoner

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:52:31 PM »
There could be scope for Weavaway to expand to cover the town services, or even for Stagecoach to fill a gap in their operations.
Given the recent reductions in service, any replacement network would probably be scaled down further still.

I wonder if Reading 818 will join the For Sale list now they are relinquishing "The Link", and also remain curious of Reading's disposal policy - they are selling Omnidekkas of both 54 and 06 reg because these are those currently allocated to routes that are getting the new Enviros (Lower Earley and Caversham), plus a further seven generic silver vehicles, which were reaplced by E400s last year.  This leaves a mixed bag of 54 and 06 plate Omnidekkas remaining.  I had expected them to have shifted all of the 54 platers out to maintain a newer fleet.

In any case this Sunday is the ideal time to photograph them all before they leave!

Offline Danny

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »
and also remain curious of Reading's disposal policy - they are selling Omnidekkas of both 54 and 06 reg because these are those currently allocated to routes that are getting the new Enviros (Lower Earley and Caversham), plus a further seven generic silver vehicles, which were reaplced by E400s last year.  This leaves a mixed bag of 54 and 06 plate Omnidekkas remaining.  I had expected them to have shifted all of the 54 platers out to maintain a newer fleet.

Perhaps it is to avoid repaints, Reading's costs on this matter must be sky high, with the amount of buses being repainted all of the time into different colours.

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 08:31:21 PM »
Thats the only explanation I can think of, par for the course when you have significant route branding with dedicated vehicles.
Something that is liked in Reading so well worth it.  819-825 were only repainted from light pink into generic silver six months ago in any case!