Author Topic: At risk of tempting fate...  (Read 2674 times)

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 142
  • -Receive: 124
At risk of tempting fate...
« on: July 31, 2011, 11:56:01 PM »
It still looks like the Busway is actually going to open, and I expect more than one of us is going to be using it on the first day!

Unofficial forum outing opportunity?

Offline Buspasstony

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
Re: At risk of tempting fate...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
Can't make it on opening day but will be there on the 17th,fingers crossed that it will be running

stagecoach106

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:15:04 AM »
Theres a few on it on the monday :) me included

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1462
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »
I'd love to, but I'm in France until the middle of next week.

Incidentally, I see some good news about ticketing: Smartcard ticket launched in time for busway opening

I feel that reporter Chris Havergal over-eggs the pudding in describing it as "...similar to the Oyster system used on London transport..." as the details on the Cambridgeshire County Council website The Busway Smartcard make it clear that "The smartcard is made of plastic, is credit card sized, and is used to store tickets purchased in advance for travel on The Busway." (my emphasis)

Not so much a 'Smartcard' as a (very-restrictive) pre-paid dumb-card!

Why, oh why?

I shall be lobbying my county councillor, who is very helpful on transport issues.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »
I'd love to go. Unfortunately, I'm in London for several days, so I can't make it.
East Londoner

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 05:07:28 PM »
I'd love to, but I'm in France until the middle of next week.

Incidentally, I see some good news about ticketing: Smartcard ticket launched in time for busway opening

I feel that reporter Chris Havergal over-eggs the pudding in describing it as "...similar to the Oyster system used on London transport..." as the details on the Cambridgeshire County Council website The Busway Smartcard make it clear that "The smartcard is made of plastic, is credit card sized, and is used to store tickets purchased in advance for travel on The Busway." (my emphasis)

Not so much a 'Smartcard' as a (very-restrictive) pre-paid dumb-card!

Why, oh why?

I shall be lobbying my county councillor, who is very helpful on transport issues.
This sounds exactly what Suffolk County Council used for Ipswich Park and Ride. You had to purchase a card which was specific to that site - due to differing charges.

Why has it not been possible to roll out a proper smartcard - given the time they have had. They could then have expanded it throughout Cambridgeshire bringing additional operators into the scheme, making travel by bus simpler therefore potentially increasing usage and potentially moving some routes from subsisdy to commercial operation.

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 12:34:05 AM »
Morning folks,

My wife, kids and I will be having a trip on it on the Sunday, whilst on the Monday, I'll actually be driving on't Busway...

RM471

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 09:30:42 AM »
I was thinking of going with a few chums, taking my GS, MXX317 on Sunday.

I was thinking of going to the St Ives Park & Ride with it and then riding on the Busway bus routes . Does anyone know the St Ives Park & Ride is still a closed building site like it was last week when I visited? Also is there a height restriction on the entrance? There seemed to be barriers but they were locked open last week.

Also, will there be an "official" opening, with the press? If so, would this be a better time to visit?

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 11:23:50 AM »
Just looking at the new busway website and it shows that the following are only features on routes A & B (i.e. Stagecoach's routes).

Air-conditioning
Leather seats
Free Wi-Fi
Power onboard

Do the Whippet vehicles not feature any of these?

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:19:44 PM »
No.  :)

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 142
  • -Receive: 124
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
@RM471 - that's an amazing bus; truly amazing!