Author Topic: Busway Reporters Required!  (Read 12781 times)

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
Re: Busway Reporters Required!
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 10:40:33 AM »
OK here it is, my report of my visit to the Busway on Saturday.  Have tried to describe the operations on the day as well as the Busway itself, with some comments on the way.  Will try and get some photos up over the weekend.

An interesting report but may I correct one minor error, the 55 didn't serve Fenstanton.  I puzzle what value the 20 is, given that outside peak hours and one of the A14 accidents, the Whippet service continues to offer a reliable link with Cambridge.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
I assumed that the 20 would be used for doing crew changes on the A i.e. use the 20 to/from the depot? Or does the 20 not cross the A14?
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 06:11:48 PM »
the 55 didn't serve Fenstanton.  I puzzle what value the 20 is, given that outside peak hours and one of the A14 accidents, the Whippet service continues to offer a reliable link with Cambridge.
Sorry - I had remembered that the old 553/554/555 used to, but forgot that when the 55 came along it didnt.
The 20 is probably as much a competitive move to get people to use Stagecoach via the Busway, as opposed to Whippet via the A14.

I assumed that the 20 would be used for doing crew changes on the A i.e. use the 20 to/from the depot? Or does the 20 not cross the A14?
Based on what the driver I spoke to said, the vehicle runs on to the depot and back after serving Fenstanton.  This backs up the ten minute gap between arrival and departure at Fenstanton, as if returning to St Ives straight away I would expect this to be no more than two minutes.
St Ives Park & Ride appeared to be the place for crew changes on both A and B.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:17:40 PM by David Goddard »

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 495
  • -Receive: 69
  • Lovely Leyland Leopards :-)
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 08:28:19 AM »
I've noticed a marked decrease in passengers on the guided busway services "A" & "C" during the daytime this week. (Have not observed the "B"). This observation is around midday on the section running by the Science Park. Any comments from the drivers on this forum? Some buses have only had two or three passengers on them at that point.

Offline alan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 08:23:30 PM »
I decided to have a first ride on the Busway last Monday, Market day at St Ives. Perhaps not surprisingly the Stagecoach bus I got on about 10.00am from Trumpington was packed, but mainly by people (like myself) using their over 60s concession passes! I noticed that the Driver (incidentally very pleasant) asked where I was travelling to so presumably the system records the "longer" journeys to St Ives. As almost everyone else was going to St Ives too on bus passes I do wonder whether that concession will be for the long term or merely for a year or so to enable Cambs CC to say how good the loading figures have been in the first year. Sorry for being cynical, I really do hope I am wrong and the busway is a longterm success but I do wonder!

Offline Worm22002

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 09:59:51 PM »
Passengers same to be lower. Even the mighty 'slow' B is not carrying as much now, to the point where some of it's dup's are empty. As for the C, really and truely does it stand a chance against a A that runs late and on it's time towards cambridge and the Super slow B that runs on its time on the way back?  :'(

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2011, 07:49:17 AM »
Passengers same to be lower. Even the mighty 'slow' B is not carrying as much now, to the point where some of it's dup's are empty. As for the C, really and truely does it stand a chance against a A that runs late and on it's time towards cambridge and the Super slow B that runs on its time on the way back?  :'(

Hopefully, the fact that the kids are back at school seems to be making a difference - I still had loads of Twirlies on my Bs yesterday.
The only run I was late on was yesterday afternoon, due to being held up by traffic congestion between Halfords Corner and half-way along Histon Road...

Offline Worm22002

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 10:20:13 AM »
Hopefully, the fact that the kids are back at school seems to be making a difference - I still had loads of Twirlies on my Bs yesterday.
The only run I was late on was yesterday afternoon, due to being held up by traffic congestion between Halfords Corner and half-way along Histon Road...

you are one of the best ones to follow. Full speed captain :)

Offline Bob

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »

you are one of the best ones to follow. Full speed captain :)

Lol!  I wish ;).  Alas, the rigours of trying to leave Cambridge slowed be by 10 mins again...

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 142
  • -Receive: 124
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 08:05:39 PM »
One of my colleagues tried it out while their car was being serviced, and was a bit disappointed that the Citi 6 to Oakington was a lot faster than the trip on the Busway.

Offline Bob

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
Evening,

Another minor correction, the longest stretch without stops is between Swavesey and Longstanton, as opposed to Longstanton and Oakington...

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 09:53:42 PM »
Who were you correcting Jack?  If it is my report then I am sorry
I cant find a reference anywhere suggesting that the Longstanton to Oakington section is the longest.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:03:35 PM by David Goddard »

Offline Worm22002

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »
are you sure jack  ;D swavesey to St Ives is also long (timed 5 mins on timetable). Both can be done in 3 mins though. Never checked the miles though

Offline Bob

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2011, 07:01:05 PM »
are you sure jack  ;D swavesey to St Ives is also long (timed 5 mins on timetable). Both can be done in 3 mins though. Never checked the miles though
Yep, Swavesey to Longstanton is about .2 of a mile longer than Longstanton to Oakington.
Swavesey to St. Ives is long, although you do have the Lakes stop in between ;)