Author Topic: FirstGroup Coaches set for Walker Cup  (Read 861 times)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 542
    • ScotBus
FirstGroup Coaches set for Walker Cup
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:26:20 PM »
FirstGroup Coaches set for Walker Cup
Thursday 18 August 2011

Former Open Champion, Paul Lawrie, paid a special visit to transport operator, FirstGroup, today.  Aberdeen’s most celebrated golfer helped unveil one of the coaches that will transport the Great Britain and Ireland and American golf teams around Aberdeen when they compete next month in the world’s leading amateur golf tournament, the Walker Cup.

Aberdeen based FirstGroup is the official transport provider for the Walker Cup, which will be held at Royal Aberdeen Golf Club on September 10 and 11.  Two state of the art, specially designed, FirstGroup coaches will ferry both the USA and Great Britain and Ireland teams around Aberdeen in the lead up to and during the event.  The company will also supply a further four coaches (six in total) for Walker Cup officials and support teams.

“Hosting the Walker Cup is a real coup for Aberdeen,” said FirstGroup Chief Executive, Tim O’ Toole, who unveiled one of his company’s Walker Cup coaches alongside Paul Lawrie today.  “As the main bus operator in the city and with our headquarters based here in Aberdeen, we were very keen to lend our support to the tournament.  The coach used today looks fantastic – there is no doubt our coaches will befit an event as prestigious and popular as the Walker Cup.”

Paul Lawrie, the 1999 Open Champion and 2011 Open de Andalucia winner, said: “The players are certainly travelling first class – the coach is very impressive, inside and out.

“I am pleased that my sponsor FirstGroup is getting behind the Walker Cup - like Royal Aberdeen, FirstGroup is one of the city’s key success stories.”

He continued: “I know Aberdeen will extend a warm welcome to the Walker Cup players and officials – it has all the ingredients of being the best amateur tournament in recent history.”

FirstGroup has been a long-time supporter of the Paul Lawrie Junior Golf Foundation and in 2007 announced its sponsorship of Paul Lawrie himself.  The First logo has appeared on Paul Lawrie’s right sleeve since 2007.

The 43rd Walker Cup will be played on the Balgownie Links of Royal Aberdeen Golf Club, the sixth-oldest club in the world, on 10 and 11 September, 2011.
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending