Author Topic: Busway on the map.  (Read 1685 times)

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 74
  • -Receive: 30
    • My Flickr Page!
Busway on the map.
« on: August 22, 2011, 05:08:43 PM »
I have recently purchased the AA Great Britain road map for 2012, and the Cambridge Busway is on the map.

On the map, it looks the same as a railway line, with the busway bus stops shown as stations. It only shows the busway parts, on not the on-road parts. It says 'busway' alongside the line. Where the busway crosses main roads, it is shown as a level-crossing.

I think this is a good thing, as it may encourage more people to use it seeing as having on the map will make more people aware of it, and make people realise it is very similar to a railway line. It is rather misleading though, such as the level crossings on the map i've already mentioned, but it is also misleading because people may not think it continues to St Ives town centre or Huntingdon. Also, looking at the map, it seems you can use the busway to join the mainline and use it towards London!  ;D

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1462
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Re: Busway on the map.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »
I'm not a big fan of AA maps, I'm afraid. Apart from O↑S 1:50 000 for viewing more detail of certain favourite localities, the only national road atlas which I will buy is the Geographer's A-Z.

What I like about the Geographer's A-Z national and regional atlases is what I consider the superior Motorway/main road junction information.

I always look at these junctions:

• A14, junction 34 (Horningsea/Fen Ditton)
  • A14 junction 31/M11 junction 14 (Girton interchange)
  • M11 junction 13 (Maddingley Hill)

Knowing these junctions, I know that:

• It is not possible to leave the westbound A14 at junction 34, nor to join it eastbound
  • The eastbound A428 gives access to the eastbound A14 at junction 31/M11 junction 14 and to no other road
  • The westbound A428 is accessed from the westbound A14 at junction 31/M11 junction 14 and from no other road
  • The northbound A1307 (Huntingdon Road) gives access to the westbound A14 at junction 31/M11 junction 14 and to no other road
  • The southbound A1307 (Huntingdon Road) is accessed from the eastbound A14 at junction 31/M11 junction 14 and from no other road
  • ]It is not possible to leave the southbound M11 at junction 13, nor to join it northbound

I ask myself if my intended purchase shows this information clearly, within the map.

Of course, knowing these junctions, it's not them which pose any problems: I can expect to hit problems in some unfamiliar part of the country.

Some atlases do show a 'limited access' symbol but leave you guessing as to the direction of the access/egress. Some atlases have separate reference pages of limited access junctions, but I find that far too fiddly when planning a route.

The only atlases which have passed my tests are the Geographer's A-Z national and regional atlases.

(I ought to have shares in the company, shouldn't I?)
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1462
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Re: Busway on the map.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 04:27:03 PM »
Whilst typing the above, I started to wonder what the main on-line maps would show.

I centred these on Swavesey. Click on each to see what they show:

Google maps

streetmap.co.uk

Multimap/Bing maps

So, it looks like Multimap/Bing maps is the most nearly accurate (at the time of posting).

Oddly enough, Google maps shows the stops on the Busway (if you zoom in closely enough) though not the Busway itself!

Edit:Google maps comment
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 04:37:49 PM by TCD813 »
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.