Author Topic: Bike is crushed by guided bus after cyclist rides along track  (Read 6867 times)

stagecoach106

Bike is crushed by guided bus after cyclist rides along track
« on: October 05, 2011, 08:48:44 PM »
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Bike-is-crushed-by-guided-bus-after-cyclist-rides-along-track-05102011.htm

A bike was crunched by a guided bus after its rider – who was cycling along the track wearing earphones – leapt to safety.
Nobody was injured in the crash but it forced the closure of the route for two-and-a-half hours on Saturday and prompted warnings about the dangers of trespassing on the route.
Andy Campbell, the managing director of Stagecoach Cambridgeshire, said the bridleway adjacent to the busway was closed between Swavesey and St Ives while a hard surface is laid.
Mr Campbell said: “A cyclist thought it was all right to travel down the busway even though buses are up and down there every 10 minutes travelling at 56mph. The driver approached and blew his horn to warn the rider but he had earphones in.
“As the bus got close he jumped off his bike and left the bike on the track and the bus ran over it, which caused a fault with the bus and meant we had to divert passengers back on the other side of the track and travel down the A14.”
In July, before the guided busway was opened to the public, a cyclist was seriously injured when he was struck by a vehicle on a trial run between Histon and Oakington.
Mr Campbell could not understand why cyclists put themselves at risk.
He said: “To do it with earphones in so you can’t hear buses approaching is ridiculous.
“You wouldn’t cycle down the centre lane of the M1.”
Mr Campbell said it was “not unusual” to find cyclists on the busway. His drivers were “often verbally abused” when they asked riders to get out of the way.
A county council spokesman said: “Recovery operations swung smoothly into operation on Saturday and buses were running again within an hour on the busway.
“As planned buses were able to bypass the section of the busway while the vehicle was recovered and therefore meant services could continue.
“We would remind cyclists to use the cycleway and not the guideway.”
A visitor to Cambridge News Online said they had seen a similar incident, which forced the bus to stop, on Monday evening.

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
Re: Bike is crushed by guided bus after cyclist rides along track
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:32:30 PM »
What a bloody idiot. I don't know why he was not using the cycleway.
East Londoner

Offline Worm22002

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:50:17 PM »
lol Mr campbell does not know a lot about HIS staff.  ;) father jack
and blew his horn to warn the rider but

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:58:18 PM »
I hope that the cyclist gets fined for this, after all he has broken the law, which is clearly defined in Section 44 of The Cambridgeshire Guided Busway Order 2005:

Trespass on busway system

44.—(1) Any person who—
(a)trespasses on the authorised guided busway; or.
(b)trespasses upon any land of the undertaker in dangerous proximity to the authorised guided busway or to any electrical or other apparatus used for or in connection with the operation of the authorised guided busway,.
shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(2) For the purposes of this article, trespassing on the authorised guided busway includes causing or permitting a vehicle to be upon any part of the authorised guided busway which is not a public carriageway without permission.

(3) No person shall be convicted of an offence under this article unless it is shown that a notice warning the public not to trespass upon the authorised guided busway was clearly exhibited and maintained at the station or other stopping place or level crossing on the authorised guided busway nearest the place where the offence is alleged to have been committed.

There are clear signs all the way along the route warning that trespass is an offence.  If this was still a railway the fine would be £1,000.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 142
  • -Receive: 124
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 11:09:48 AM »
Expensive way to teach a cyclist a (deserved) lesson in terms of damage to the bus.

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 02:43:19 PM »
There are, believe it or not, a persistent few who will NOT get off of the busway, even when told to. I've been swore at by one of them, even after telling them about my 'one-under' before the Busway opened...

Offline hobohippie95

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • London trolleybus 1812 arriving at the EATM
    • East Anglian Transport Museum Website
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 03:41:03 PM »
it says in the text, that the adjacent bridleway was closed for resurfacing works
Last bus trips:
603 to transport museum
603 to lowestoft bus station
1A to denes high school.

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 03:44:06 PM »
it says in the text, that the adjacent bridleway was closed for resurfacing works
In that case he shouldn't have been anywhere near the bloody busway.
East Londoner

Offline Danny

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 06:19:16 PM »
How on earth did the bus driver manage that?!

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 08:02:51 PM »
If this was still a railway the fine would be £1,000.

If this was still a railway, the cyclist would be dead.

As to why the bus hit the bike, I presume what happened was the driver slowed to follow, the cyclist then woke up. realised the bus was immediately behind and just jumped off, leaving the driver with no option but to hit the bike.  Rear end collisions are frequently caused when the front vehicle stops without warning.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1462
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 09:16:17 PM »
As an (occasional) keen cyclist, I'd love to see the cyclist concerned prosecuted for the offence of riding on the busway track; sued by Stagecoach for the damage to their vehicle; and sued by both Stagecoach and Whippet for costs of diverting their buses.

That might see the ********s off!

Possibly.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 09:16:28 PM »
There are, believe it or not, a persistent few who will NOT get off of the busway, even when told to. I've been swore at by one of them, even after telling them about my 'one-under' before the Busway opened...

Bleeding hell!

What are the police there for if it's not to arrest just one of these idiots and put nice pictures of them in the paper to make an example of them and for all their neighbours to laugh at?  They only need to do the job properly once to put all the other nutters off!

Offline hobohippie95

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • London trolleybus 1812 arriving at the EATM
    • East Anglian Transport Museum Website
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »
In that case he shouldn't have been anywhere near the bloody busway.
agreed , just thought you ought to know why he wasnt using the cycleway
Last bus trips:
603 to transport museum
603 to lowestoft bus station
1A to denes high school.

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 74
  • -Receive: 30
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 10:25:41 PM »
What an idiot. He deserved to get his bike destoyed in the incident.

I can sort of understand why he did it, as the bridleway was closed, but its not a good excuse. Although it still would of been illegal the cyclist could of at least cycled on the other side so he could see buses coming and move out of the way, and stop listening to his earphones.

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 09:39:50 AM »
What an idiot. He deserved to get his bike destoyed in the incident.

I can sort of understand why he did it, as the bridleway was closed, but its not a good excuse. Although it still would of been illegal the cyclist could of at least cycled on the other side so he could see buses coming and move out of the way, and stop listening to his earphones.

The cyclists have absolutely no rights, and no excuses to be on there at all. The bridleway isn't a officially a bridleway / cycleway, but a maintenance track...

Offline Danny

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »

As to why the bus hit the bike, I presume what happened was the driver slowed to follow, the cyclist then woke up. realised the bus was immediately behind and just jumped off, leaving the driver with no option but to hit the bike.  Rear end collisions are frequently caused when the front vehicle stops without warning.

Hmm, I still don't think that's a good enough excuse! There's no way the two should have come into contact.

Just think would could have happened if when the guy tried to jump off his bike, he fell back onto the track. The bus would have run him over, The last thing the Busway needs is a fatality!  :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline AndrewHA

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »
At the end of the day the cyclist should not of been there , so don't start feeling sorry for him !

He has already broken the law ! - Punish him !

Get an unmarked car out there and stop and book all the arrogant law breakers who ride bikes !
Andrew HA.

Offline Buspasstony

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 05:21:43 PM »
At the end of the day the cyclist should not of been there , so don't start feeling sorry for him !

He has already broken the law ! - Punish him !

Get an unmarked car out there and stop and book all the arrogant law breakers who ride bikes !

The police won't do anything they are only interested in persecuting motorist Cyclist can do what they want.Just watch them go through red lights,up one way streets,ride on pavements and pedestrian areas the police just sit in the car and watch them

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 166
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 05:45:13 PM »

Hmm, I still don't think that's a good enough excuse! There's no way the two should have come into contact.

Just think would could have happened if when the guy tried to jump off his bike, he fell back onto the track. The bus would have run him over, The last thing the Busway needs is a fatality!  :-\ :-\ :-\
However the bus driver should take some of the blame as well. You know the duty of care etc.
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 05:45:25 PM »
Every now and again the police do a week of ticketing cyclists, I'd suggest that an errant cyclist is about as likely to get done as an errant motorist.

When I drive at 70 mph up motorways I get overtaken every few seconds; and not "just" overtaken - well and truly overtaken and left in the dust.