Author Topic: Anger over bus damage on Hammersmith Bridge  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 546
    • ScotBus
Anger over bus damage on Hammersmith Bridge
« on: November 25, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »
Anger over bus damage on Hammersmith Bridge

(CLICK http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15840726 FOR VIDEO)

22 November 2011 Last updated at 14:16
A council wants bus drivers prosecuted claiming they have caused almost £50,000 worth of damage to barriers either side of Hammersmith Bridge.

Buses are allowed to drive over the bridge thanks to electronic sensors installed in the bus or by swiping a card but Hammersmith and Fulham Council has CCTV pictures, showing drivers removing the barriers to get through.

The barriers, which were installed to stop heavy vehicles crossing the Victorian bridge apart from buses, are often stolen after being removed, the council claims.
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline Streetdeck

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 17
Re: Anger over bus damage on Hammersmith Bridge
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 09:27:45 PM »
They say its caused damage, but from the footage thats been made available, most of the drivers just seem to remove the barrier with very little force or effort and most seem to just place it lightly on the footpath... Hardly causing 1000's of pounds of damage.....is it?

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 31
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 09:34:08 PM »
They say its caused damage, but from the footage thats been made available, most of the drivers just seem to remove the barrier with very little force or effort and most seem to just place it lightly on the footpath... Hardly causing 1000's of pounds of damage.....is it?

Surely if anyone else did this, it would be vandalism?

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 09:04:05 AM »
The cost comes in if they damage the mechanics of the lifting gear while removing the arm, or as I thought the report stated that 30 or so barriers have disappeared - having been removed and then not placed back on after the bus has passed through.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 161
  • -Receive: 178
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 02:10:54 PM »
I must say I would advise anyone accused of vandalising the barrier to defend on the basis that no damage was caused.

I can't see the slightest hope of a successful prosecution; this appears to be a shamelessly cynical attempt by a council to cover up it's own incompetence in providing a clearly inadequate barrier by going after the easy targets (as always people who have numberplates; motorists) rather than those actually responsible for apparently stealing these barriers.

And with a modicum of competence, surely it isn't hard to identify who the person walking off down Hammersmith bridge with an extremely large barrier pole is?

The drivers will be the easy targets, especially if they cannot afford proper advice.  I imagine there will be a different story if they get ambitious and end up trying to sue the bus operators.  At that point they'll start to put a price on disruption caused by the defective equipment.

Offline Streetdeck

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 01:30:57 AM »
If they have the footgae of the bus drivers removing them and laying them on the pavement....surely they have the footage (and therefore the sense) to lok for the culprit or cul prits who have "supposedly" naffed off with the barrier..... Hardly rocket science.....or is it..!!  Or is it just to easy to blame the bus company....and not find the real culprit.

Offline northantsbusman

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 11:00:46 PM »
From looking at the video the culprits seem to have "Not in Service" on the destination display. I would suggest there is a depot nearby and the drivers are using it as a quick way between the terminus and the depot, the buses on service obvioulsy have the appropriate card to activate the barrier.

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:04:49 PM »
From looking at the video the culprits seem to have "Not in Service" on the destination display. I would suggest there is a depot nearby and the drivers are using it as a quick way between the terminus and the depot, the buses on service obvioulsy have the appropriate card to activate the barrier.
Shepherd's Bush and Stamford Brook are the only two depots that I know of that are located near the bridge. Both of them are RATP garages...
East Londoner

Offline Danny

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 12:55:49 AM »

No they don't! Of the four that you can tell on, only one is not in service. Four are in service.

The buses have transponders, so the barrier should open for them regardless. You say the buses in service obviously have the appropriate card to open it, but surely if they're going to/from the garage to/from being in service, then they'll still have the card with them. What are they doing, coming off service and then just throwing the card out of the window before getting to the bridge. Or arriving out of service without a card and then just magicing one up when they go into service?!

Offline Danny

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 12:59:42 AM »
I also note the council claim that some drivers have just driven into the barrier. That's worse, so why don't they show us the CCTV of that...?

I'm far more concerned about those two mopeds randomly driving onto the pavement in the video!

Offline northantsbusman

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 01:04:03 AM »
OK I stand corrected, I looked and about five routes go over the bridge they are the 419, 209, 485, 283, 33, & 72.

Would some kind of rising bollard like the ones used in Cambridge been more ideal, buses fitted with the appropriate sensors, allocation of sensor fitted buses to the correct route etc etc.

I remember an incident in Bromham, Bedfordshire when the old X2 route was routed around Bromham village, there was a notice going up askingh driver that blue paint was found on a bollard and damage was being caused to the kerb at a particularly tight turn.

There was no CCTV, but the council dustcart was also blue.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2165
  • -Receive: 241
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 04:59:38 PM »
Would some kind of rising bollard like the ones used in Cambridge been more ideal, buses fitted with the appropriate sensors, allocation of sensor fitted buses to the correct route etc etc.

They're certainly capable of resisting unauthorised vehicles!

However, my preference would be for the relevant highway authorities to take out powers to create a toll gate:
"Toll £50.00 (£25.00 if paid within 24 hours) except for cycles and pre-authorised vehicles."
"ANPR technology will track non-payers."
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.