Author Topic: Frequency improvements for Stagecoach services  (Read 4649 times)

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
Frequency improvements for Stagecoach services
« on: February 20, 2012, 03:45:45 PM »
From today's Cambridge Evening News:

The frequency of Stagecoach services on the guided busway will improve after the company announced it was buying eight new buses for the route.

Buses will depart every seven or eight minutes, instead of every 10 minutes, once the three double-decker and five single-level vehicles arrive in July.

passengers would also benefit from the extension of all services to St Ives town centre when a new stop is constructed

How will this affect Whippet? Are they also increasing their own frequency?

Also is this frequency level achievable? I recall years ago the Citi 1 frequency being increased from every 10 minutes to every 7 or 8 minutes and in the end Stagecoach had to reverse the increase because it just couldn't be achieved. Buses ended up bunching up too much.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:47:43 PM by Martin »

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 138
  • -Receive: 121
Re: Frequency improvements for Stagecoach services
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
It's good news, but I wonder if it's not still a missed opportunity.

The improvement from 10 to 7/8 min frequencies may not be so significant, but the improvement from 20 to 15 mins is more so; that's reasonably close to a turn up and go service where it's not an awful disaster if you just miss a bus or if one doesn't turn up.

I still don't think the service pattern is right and I still think they're missing out on the real opportunity that the southern guideway offers, though.  I'd still prefer to see more destinations come into the guideway's catchment area, like Haverhill & Royston, and maybe even Brampton.

I presume this means Peterborough is off?

The other missed opportunity it that while it's clear that a lot of people came as a result of the guideway, a lot seemed to come beforehand as a result of the new buses.  I feel that this offers a potential lesson for services to Ely and Newmarket, where I don't feel the train ought to be able to have the market share it has.  There is also a lesson for St Neots, where the new buses did lead to extra and excess demand, but where they still steadfastly refuse to realise it.

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 486
  • -Receive: 65
  • Lovely Leyland Leopards :-)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:07:23 PM »
I too wonder what Whippet will do next?

stagecoach106

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:15:57 PM »
I too wonder what Whippet will do next?

whippet wins my vote much better and user-friendly.
  so with stagejokes running every 7-8 mins  that means will get a every 10 mins service as nine time out of ten it late about time they mad evening services half hourly till 9-10 ish

Offline SURREYMAN

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:26:23 PM »

The frequency of Stagecoach services on the guided busway will improve after the company announced it was buying eight new buses for the route.

Buses will depart every seven or eight minutes, instead of every 10 minutes, once the three double-decker and five single-level vehicles arrive in July.

passengers would also benefit from the extension of all services to St Ives town centre when a new stop is constructed

Am I right in assumimg all the Busway vehicles are allocated to Fenstanton?
Will any of the 8 new vehicles on order be based at Cambridge?

Also is this frequency level achievable? I recall years ago the Citi 1 frequency being increased from every 10 minutes to every 7 or 8 minutes and in the end Stagecoach had to reverse the increase because it just couldn't be achieved. Buses ended up bunching up too much.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1406
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 05:40:12 PM »
This thread seems to be overlapping this other one:
Stagecoach Fens Happenings 2012
Any chance of an admin collating the discussion?
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline X314NNO

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 7
  • Metroline Tp's
    • Jacks Flickr!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:48:25 PM »

Am I right in assumimg all the Busway vehicles are allocated to Fenstanton?
Will any of the 8 new vehicles on order be based at Cambridge?

good photo. 55 plater :P

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:21:02 PM »
It's good news, but I wonder if it's not still a missed opportunity.

The improvement from 10 to 7/8 min frequencies may not be so significant, but the improvement from 20 to 15 mins is more so; that's reasonably close to a turn up and go service where it's not an awful disaster if you just miss a bus or if one doesn't turn up.

I still don't think the service pattern is right and I still think they're missing out on the real opportunity that the southern guideway offers, though.  I'd still prefer to see more destinations come into the guideway's catchment area, like Haverhill & Royston, and maybe even Brampton.

I presume this means Peterborough is off?

The other missed opportunity it that while it's clear that a lot of people came as a result of the guideway, a lot seemed to come beforehand as a result of the new buses.  I feel that this offers a potential lesson for services to Ely and Newmarket, where I don't feel the train ought to be able to have the market share it has.  There is also a lesson for St Neots, where the new buses did lead to extra and excess demand, but where they still steadfastly refuse to realise it.

According to a post on the Stagecoach News Yahoo Group the five Wrightbbus Eclipse Scania single-deckers are for the new Peterborough-Sawtry-Huntingdon-Busway service which will run hourly from June.

The extra Scanias are apparently to bulk up the core service.

Where the poster on the Yahoo group obtained their information from I do not know.

Offline Worm22002

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 10:30:18 PM »
For those of you that wanted a train instead of a busway, you might see that with all the buses grouping together. Well some idea of it any ways lol  ;D

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1406
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 07:38:25 AM »
For those of you that wanted a train instead of a busway, you might see that with all the buses grouping together. Well some idea of it any ways lol  ;D

Moreover, one that will serve the centre of Cambridge and can travel to Huntingdon and beyond, rather than terminate at a St Ives P&R station, east of the town's by-pass.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.