Author Topic: One way to stop the traffic in Cambridge!  (Read 3107 times)

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 166
    • The Wakefield Files
One way to stop the traffic in Cambridge!
« on: April 13, 2008, 10:17:54 PM »
Just to prove that Leyland National do have their uses!
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Adam Dowling

Re: One way to stop the traffic in Cambridge!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 10:21:57 PM »
I remember hearing about this....
Didn't the fuel line snap or come loose and the bus skidded round the corner blocking off the street?
I also heard that a shocked man getting out of his car opened the door and froze in shock which was just as well-a VR came up behind his car and took the door off!

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 166
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 10:48:19 PM »
I remember hearing about this....
Didn't the fuel line snap or come loose and the bus skidded round the corner blocking off the street?
I also heard that a shocked man getting out of his car opened the door and froze in shock which was just as well-a VR came up behind his car and took the door off!
You have been reading my tales from the platform.
The shocked man was a copper and the police car was waiting to turn right out of Gonville Place into Regent Street. The driver of the said police car having got out to talk to a driver of a Leyland National, which had just side swiped the panda car as the LN turn left out of Regent Street into Gonvulle Place. Bobby number decided to get out on the passenger side as a Bristol VRT came up on the inside and went straight over into Lensfield Road.
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 07:48:04 AM »
That's the second National that I've seen broadsiding. Back in Bristol, many years ago, I normally used to catch a bus to school. I was usually the only passenger. One particular morning however, I was late for whatever reason, so my Dad took me in his car.
We caught up with the bus, which was one of 6 10.3m LNs based at Marlborough Street. It was tipping it down with rain, so was carrying some other passengers. As the bus slowed to drop-off outside the school, the thing broadsided, turning anti-clockwise, and ended up facing the opposite direction to the Eastern Counties National in the pic above.

Sorry for going off-topic (in a way).

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

delsons

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:10:17 PM »
The Leyland National was notoriously light at the front end, and several operators tried to ameliorate this characteristic by moving batteries and other ancillaries to the front, to no real effect. One of the advantages of the "B" series was the elimination of the rear end roof pod which improved weight distribution. I worked at London Country's Reigate HQ throughout its National purchasing era (it had the largest fleet of these things in the land) and one soon got to know about the (mainly mechanical) weaknesses of the design. The bodies, however, were remarkably well engineered.

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 07:47:48 PM »
Thats the way to do it - nice Ford Corsair as well.

I had to block the A505 once with the Duxford Freebus in order for the Police to clear an accident.

That was fun!

Offline Derrick Pancel

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 10:09:49 PM »
Was that the ALX300 Dart R802 YUD ?

Methinks a Mercedes Citaro bendy bus would be more effective ;)

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 10:25:56 PM »
It was indeed Derrick and what a fine vehicle she was then with a dedicated group of 4 drivers who kept her spotless. She never let me down and always gave a good turn of speed.

Think you're right on the button with the bendy buses!!  ;) ;D

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 01:35:08 PM »
Hello everyone,

While not Eastern Counties, or even local, this National in Wolverhampton appears to have given the driver a need to change his underwear...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/2090402451/

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:12:11 PM by Bristol RE »

Adam Dowling

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 02:06:17 PM »
It was indeed Derrick and what a fine vehicle she was then with a dedicated group of 4 drivers who kept her spotless. She never let me down and always gave a good turn of speed.

Think you're right on the button with the bendy buses!!  ;) ;D
Off topic, but that dart is now pretty battered and has a habit of belching black smoke whenever it so much as moves. Still pretty fast though.