Author Topic: The Busway could be extended into Central Cambridge  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Andy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 20
The Busway could be extended into Central Cambridge
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
From Cambridge Evening News...

The guided busway could be extended into the centre of Cambridge to tempt travellers out of their cars.

Transport chiefs believe ambitious improvements must be made to the city’s travel network to prevent journey times increasing by half over the next decade.

One idea to avert gridlock is to lengthen the busway, which already carries more than 200,000 passengers a month between St Ives, Cambridge and Addenbrooke’s.

A report by Cambridgeshire County Council suggests a new route heading north from the railway station and a busway along Newmarket Road.

Lynette Gilbert, chairman of Riverside Area Residents’ Association, said: “Having buses down the middle of Newmarket Road seems like a potentially creative way to make it easier for buses and cycles to share the road.”

An options paper to be consulted on this summer says the busway would be a more attractive option for commuters and visitors if services, which currently have to use clogged-up roads between the north of the city and the train station, could stay on a guideway all the way through.

The report, produced to accompany Cambridge City Council’s forthcoming consultation on up to 25,000 new homes, said Newmarket Road could be widened between East Road and the football stadium to provide a “central busway or bus lanes” and “segregated cycle facilities”.

In the consultation, the council will ask residents if a more radical approach should be taken to transport planning.

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
Re: The Busway could be extended into Central Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 07:32:47 PM »
It is a logical progression to extend the Busway into the city. It is the only way to make progress on reducing journey times. I've always thought that some bus lanes in the middle of some of the wide arterial routes would make sense but the impact is that you can't easily provide bus stops.

Offline FF17355

• Bouncing
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:27:41 PM »
   If they are limited stop through services there wouldn't be a need for stops,just light controled merge's at either end.
            David W FF17355

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1406
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 08:32:17 AM »
My own view of how best to reconfigure Newmarket Road would be to make one side a busway or bus-only lanes. The other side would take all other traffic.

With some adjustment of the current central reservation, stops could easily be provided, with bays for stopping services to permit 'express' services to pass. This would probably require a some stops being moved a few metres to locations where there is space for such arrangements.

Whether the bus-lanes should be on the northwest (Tesco) side or the southeast (retail park) side would be a matter of judgement about conflicting traffic movements.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 03:50:28 PM »
Modern planning departments would probably have it switch sides half way down Newmarket Road!

Offline TonyMaxwell

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 05:48:24 PM »
Oh jolly jubilations.  (I wish I could do this in Unwinism) but can you just imagine all the upheaval in Cambridge if they do.
Cheers,

Tony

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 543
  • -Receive: 92
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 06:30:03 PM »
IN this article http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Campaigners-fears-over-busway-plans-01062012.htm, the County seems to be backing off in the face of an environmental campaign. 

I think the proposed extension would be valuable and would speed up the service by elimnating delays in Histon and Miton Roads.  It would also make it easier to build a useful link from Waterbeach new sttlement.  Just imagine what the effect of 30,000 people living in Waterbeach would have otherwise.  Some of them are bound to want to shop and work in Cambridge.

Unfortunately, a significant number of people who live in Cambridge want to preserve their city for themselves and banish all development to the outer margins (preferably Wisbech) so that the the only effective transport system possible is the car.

There are the railway enthusiasts who believe that railways are the answer to everything.  They certainly have their uses but the geography in Cambridge is not good with the station remote from the city centre.