Author Topic: CGB ride quality  (Read 5384 times)

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 138
  • -Receive: 121
CGB ride quality
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:35:46 PM »
I used the busway today, for the first time since the day it opened.

I was really surprised by the amount the bus was shaking around when on the guideway, although I do remember moaning about this when I posted my first thoughts after it opened.

Has it got worse?  Or have I just forgotten what it was like?

stagecoach106

Re: CGB ride quality
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:18:07 PM »

I was really surprised by the amount the bus was shaking around when on the guideway, although I do remember moaning about this when I posted my first thoughts after it opened.

stagecoach 10 plate scanias are shocking on there

Offline Worm22002

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
it has got worse, the strange thing is the bounce we now get.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:23:45 PM »
That's what I thought.  I wondered if it was just that the buses are now older than they were and the suspension was going, but they seemed ok on the normal roads.

Have the beams started to sink and get uneven, or get worn out or something?

stagecoach106

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 10:52:13 PM »
The orchard park histon bit seems bad.

Offline X314NNO

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 7
  • Metroline Tp's
    • Jacks Flickr!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »
the busway is utter pointless. tram's are best!

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 10:55:57 PM »
I remember it seeming like light turbulence in an aircraft between Orchard Park and Histon as I was very aware of all the joints.

However today it also seemed like the bus was swaying and bouncing, and I wondered if it would be all that safe if a guidewheel were to come off.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1406
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:21:15 AM »
the busway is utter pointless. tram's are best!

Please, please!

We've had all of those discussions train -v- tram -v- bus, ad nauseum, ages ago.

The decisions (for better or worse) were made; the Busway is now built.

Let's comment on the issues of service, development, maintenance etc.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 08:55:51 AM »
It has got worse, the strange thing is the bounce we now get.
That's what I thought.  I wondered if it was just that the buses are now older than they were and the suspension was going, but they seemed ok on the normal roads.

I'm an occasional, rather than frequent, user but I can't say that I'd noticed. So, yesterday, I thought I'd take a trip to see what I found. I also videoed selected parts of the Cambridge – St Ives outbound ride on my iPhone, to help me review the experience.

The outbound trip was on a double-deck B where I sat on the second-row seat on the upper deck.

Weaving through the tight bends of Cambridge's back streets, I felt there was just the normal 'lurchi-ness' you would feel on the top deck of a citi1 or whatever.

I then focussed on – and videoed – a few selected sections of on-road and Busway travel.

There was a fair amount of bumping and lurching over uneven road surfaces ascending Castle Hill and again on Histon Road.

Coming to the Busway, I found the Orchard Park (unguided) section probably the worst, but not as bad as the 'ordinary' roads. And, incidentally, I was disappointed by the delays at traffic lights on this section, which seems to have inadequate bus priority.

The Orchard Park Histon bit seems bad.

I focussed on that and yes, Ginge, it does seen less smooth than the next section I concentrated on, Longstanton – Swavesey, but still better than other parts of the route.

I would give my ratings, just on my own perceptions on one double decker, in one specific seat, for sections on which chose to focus, as follows:
  • Longstanton – Swavesey
  • Orchard Park – Histon
  • Orchard Park West – Orchard Park East (unguided)
  • Histon Road
  • Castle Hill

I did try to take a long look at the track but I couldn't see anything. However I guess the best vantage point ror that would be the front seat of a single-deck A or C.

Actually, I did return on a single-decker (oddly enough running as a B which filled to standing) but was seated high up at the back. My impression was that ride quality was smoother; simply that there was less height to wobble around.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Adam Dowling

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 09:16:32 AM »
The Busway track certainly isn't as smooth as it could be. I remember walking along the track at Orchard Park before it opened and was quite surprised at how wide and un-even the gaps in the track were! The Scanias with their somewhat wallowing suspension make the ride quality worse. Compared to other deckers I've travelled on along the A14, small bumps cause them to sway about a fair bit.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »
[...] the bus was swaying and bouncing, and I wondered if it would be all that safe if a guidewheel were to come off.

I would have thought that it would be safe enough to drive at low speed to the next exit from the trackway, lightly steering in the direction of the remaining good guide-wheel.

That would be after stopping, checking for other damage to the bus and/or débris on the trackway and informing depôt control, of course.

Offline lawrence18uk

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Cambridgeshire guided busway
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 10:10:58 PM »
- the "bouncing" that you notice is IMO caused by the 7mm 'sag' that the beams have between supports (ie every 7.5metres). Surprised the project design didn't see this coming. However, the single-deckers are able to cope with the unevenness pretty well.