Author Topic: Oyster PAYG on Greater Anglia loses four stations - more  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
Oyster PAYG on Greater Anglia loses four stations - more
« on: December 30, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »
Not one of mine but found this by chance http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/oyster_payg_to_hertford_east

Dear Transport for London,

There were reports that discussions went on between yourself and
Greater Anglia to extend Oyster PAYG to Hertford East. Your new
rail map only shows Oyster going as far as Broxbourne. Can you
confirm whether these reports were true, and why, if so, did these
discussions fall through?

-----------------

Reply from TfL

TfL put two proposals forward to Greater Anglia – these involved extending
Oyster PAYG to 6 or 10 stations. Greater Anglia elected to take up the 6
station option. The four that Greater Anglia decided not to pursue are the
four stations on the Hertford East branch. However, TfL is not aware of
the rationale behind Greater Anglia’s decisions
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 542
  • -Receive: 92
Re: Oyster PAYG on Greater Anglia loses four stations - more
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 05:32:57 PM »
There is an intersting side line to this.  According to the journalist, Roger Ford, the DfT are refusing to allow extensions to Oystercard validiity because it reduces the case for the mostly unproven ITSO card (Keycard is an ITSO as are concessionary passes).  FCC wanted to extend Oyster to WGC and, I think, Hertford North but were refused.

c2c reckon that it a success although it does have cost/distance limitations because of the way it works.  However for them, it has resulted in more short distance traffic and and reduced fare evasion.  I think this is true for other London rail operators too.

Offline centralsimon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
    • Station Staff forum
Re: Oyster PAYG on Greater Anglia loses four stations - more
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »
Oyster is a privately owned product. The DfT wishes the smartcards system to be as "open as possible". This is not a bad idea. The trouble is Oyster is already a proven commercial system that would in theory work straight away BUT once adopted would force operators to use the system. What safeguards do we have that prices to use the Oyster system for operators wouldn't sky rocket if there was no competition?

While Oyster may work well with Metro style fares, I can't help but wonder how smartcards will work on the mainline. For example from Peterborough. How does the system know you've used FCC as opposed to East Coast? If you bought an advance ticket, would you load the ticket onto your smartcards? How would you pay? What happens with regards to the maximum fare charged as Oyster does? Would the system charge you the Anytime London fare as the maximum fare? Costly if the readers at Huntingdon aren't working.