Author Topic: Oxford low Emission zone 2014  (Read 1009 times)

Offline SURREYMAN

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 28
Oxford low Emission zone 2014
« on: July 07, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »
I believe the Oxford city centre low emission zone commences on 01/01/2014 - As I understand it, it affects buses only, in a zone which covers the centre of Oxford only.
The permitted emissions levels mean that only vehicles built (or modified)to Euro 5 standards will be permitted.
A small number of Stagecoach vehicles built to Euro 4 standards (individually listed by registration number) will be allowed to operate into the zone up to 01/01/2016.(a small number of Arriva Euro 4 vehicles are also 'registered' for operation).
It seems that vehicles operating 'infrequent' services from outside the city which are not constructed to Euro 5 standards will be permitted to operate in the short term.
I believe that the OBC fleet will be fully compliant (older vehicles upgraded).
Stagecoach will presumably need to replace the remaining R reg DART SLFs and the few older MANs in the next 5 months.
I am not sure how this affects GA - Thames Travel or other operators working into the city.
The Oxford Tube & OBC coach network are already Euro 5.
I am not sure how this impacts National Express & other coach operators - presumably they just need to be disciplined and ensure older vehicles are not 'diagrammed' to visit Oxford.
If anyone can add/expand/correct this information please post!

Offline SURREYMAN

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 28
Re: Oxford low Emission zone 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 05:07:56 PM »
Copied from Council site
2 – Requirement to comply with Euro V standard for NOx
Requirement 1: All registered local bus services which enter, leave or operate within the Oxford City Centre Low Emission Zone must, from 1 January 2014, be operated exclusively by buses whose engines have been either type approved as meeting at least the Euro V standard for all emissions or certified by Oxford City Council as being fitted with an exhaust treatment device which ensures that, in urban operating conditions, the emissions of NOx are reduced to a level comparable to Euro V.
By definition a TRC can only apply to “registered local bus services”. This does not include private coaches or other buses or coaches not registered with the Traffic Commissioner, which cannot legally be subject to a TRC. All but a tiny proportion of bus and coach mileage in Oxford city centre is on registered local bus services. Within Oxford, the London and airport express coach services and some other scheduled coach services to other parts of the country are registered local bus services and would therefore be subject to the TRC. Only registered local bus services are allowed to pass through most of the “bus gates” that restrict access to the city centre.
This section also sets the emission standard to be achieved from 1st January 2014 and explains that compliance may be either by operating a bus with a Euro V engine, or retrofitting an exhaust treatment device to a bus with a lower standard of engine.