Author Topic: Stagecoach preferred bidder to run Peterborough City Council's tendered bus rout  (Read 7712 times)

Offline Cheltonian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 141
  • -Receive: 222
Stagecoach has been named as the preferred bidder to provide Peterborough City Council's subsidised bus services from 1 October 2013.

After the preferred bidder has been announced there is a 10-day standstill period which allows other bidders to query any part of the tendering process prior to the contract being awarded. If no challenges are made, the contract will be awarded to Stagecoach on Wednesday 28 August 2013.

Simon Machen, Head of Planning, Transport and Engineering Services for Peterborough City Council, said: "We have chosen to award the contract to Stagecoach because we felt it could provide good quality services for the best price.

"We are now working with Stagecoach to finalise the new routes and will announce details of these in the week commencing 2 September 2013."

All Local Link bus services are due to cease on 30 September 2013. New subsidised services are due to start the day after on 1 October 2013.

Changes to timetabled bus services subsidised by the council, alongside plans to increase the amount of demand-responsive transport services, were agreed by Cabinet at a meeting on 1 July 2013.

The majority of bus services in the city (91 per cent) are commercial services that are run by transport companies without any contributions from the council. However, nine per cent of current services are only able to run because they are financially supported, or subsidised, by the council. These are services that cost more to run than the income they generate because there is not enough demand from bus passengers.

In 2012/13 these bus services cost the council £1.1 million and Full Council agreed to reduce this budget to £600,000 in March 2013.

As some of the bus contracts were due finish at the end of March 2013 (which were extended until 30 September 2013), an independent assessment and discussions with operators found that to continue to provide exactly the same services would cost the council up to £1.9 million every year.

The council has a legal obligation to re-tender the contracts which allowed the council to provide the best service possible with the funding available.

As part of the review the subsidised evening, weekend and Bank Holiday services will remain. The council also provides a number of demand responsive services such as the Community Link service which provides door-to-door transport for elderly and disabled residents who are physically unable to use regular bus services.
See my latest photo's on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheltonian1966/

Number of individual vehicles recorded as travelled on at end of October 2019 : 14,557

Celebrating over 57 years interest in Buses and Coaches

Offline Cheltonian

• Thank You
Re: Stagecoach preferred bidder for tendered services
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »
Don't expect a reprieve for Local Link services. I suspect this will be to provide the evenings and week-end services that Stagecoach already operate. However, as part of the review, PCC agreed to operate additional 'Call-Connect type services from rural villages to the north and east of Peterborough not served by regular bus services. I t will be interested to see if Stagecoach have been awarded this work.

Number of individual vehicles recorded as travelled on at end of October 2019 : 14,557

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 122
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 09:20:45 AM »
Don't expect a reprieve for Local Link services. I suspect this will be to provide the evenings and week-end services that Stagecoach already operate. However, as part of the review, PCC agreed to operate additional 'Call-Connect type services from rural villages to the north and east of Peterborough not served by regular bus services. I t will be interested to see if Stagecoach have been awarded this work.
There was a tender out for 2 or 3 conventional services as a package to partially replace some of the Local Link services and I know there was some negotiation with the bidders over the scope of those services to try & get the price down to a level the council could work with.  What the final form these services will take and how much of a service survives the councils budget reduction will become clearer once the details are published but it would appear the announcement relates to that tender rather than any other changes/services that may be involved.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »
hmm

PF0000459/190 - CAMBUS LTD T/A STAGECOACH IN CAMBRIDGE, 100 COWLEY ROAD, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 0DN
Registration Accepted by SN
Starting Point: Peterborough
Finish Point: Orton Northgate
Via:
Service Number: 20
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 01-OCT-2013
Other Details: Monday to Saturday daytimes infrequent service

PF0000459/191 - CAMBUS LTD T/A STAGECOACH IN CAMBRIDGE, 100 COWLEY ROAD, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 0DN
Finish Point: Parnwell
Via:
Service Number: 21

PF0000459/192 - CAMBUS LTD T/A STAGECOACH IN CAMBRIDGE, 100 COWLEY ROAD, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 0DN
Starting Point: Ashton
Finish Point: Peterborough
Via:
Service Number: 22
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline dennisdart

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 501
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:47:33 PM »
hmm

PF0000459/190 - CAMBUS LTD T/A STAGECOACH IN CAMBRIDGE, 100 COWLEY ROAD, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 0DN
Finish Point: Orton Northgate
Via:
Service Number: 20

PF0000459/191 - CAMBUS LTD T/A STAGECOACH IN CAMBRIDGE, 100 COWLEY ROAD, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 0DN
Finish Point: Parnwell
Via:
Service Number: 21

PF0000459/192 - CAMBUS LTD T/A STAGECOACH IN CAMBRIDGE, 100 COWLEY ROAD, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 0DN
Starting Point: Ashton
Finish Point: Peterborough
Via:
Service Number: 22

Will this require any additional vehicles? A report today states that some of the Bedford Solos have lost their branding, could be ideal for these services?

RM471

Peterborough City Council has announced that Stagecoach is its preferred bidder to run the tendered bus routes currently operated by Enterprise Managed Services from October 1st.

Full details on this link http://www.peterborough.gov.uk/news/latest_news/2013/august/city_council_awards_bus.aspx

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
Thanks for these.  I am pleased to see that the important linksprovided by the 407, 410 and 413  to areas with no alternative bus service have been retained through services 20/21/22.

My examining of the timetables leads me to think this is a 2 vehicle operation.  The 21/22 interwork during the daytime.  This vehicle appears to cover the early morning trip on the 22 and the 1630 evening trip on the 22.  The other vehicle appears to cover the early morning 21 trips, the daytime service 20, the evening 21 trips and then the 1820 departure of service 22.

Does anyone know what vehicles are coming in to work these?

I have to say as a resident and taxpayer I feel this is a better use of taxpayers money than what we had.  The 406/408 were, to my mind, pointless "luxury" services that simply scrounged passengers off the citi 1/2/3 and to a lesser extent the citi 4/5.

Offline Steven Knight Media

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 351
I believe it might be another two 'Dinky' Darts, like the one currently allocated to Citi2 Longthorpe Shuttle. Will confirm when I know for certain.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
OK - a few points.

1. I've edited the Neighbourhood Links map to be a map with everything running all day, and attached it. If I've got anything wrong then let me know (it's approaching another Cambridgeshire timetable - far too long since the last one!)

2. The WCC service runs 07.00 to 19.00 Monday to Saturday - so what will cover Services 401 and 404 on Sundays? or is the proposed DRT by PCC to be another service in addition to WCC? (The person who I spoke to at WCC said they have no plans to change!)

3. Service 342 to run last time on Friday 27th September, Service 401/404 on Saturday 29th, and Services 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 413 and 71 to run for the last time on Monday 30th September. Is that correct?
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 90
I believe it might be another two 'Dinky' Darts, like the one currently allocated to Citi2 Longthorpe Shuttle. Will confirm when I know for certain.

Every time I hear them called that, it makes me think of the Dinky Dodgems in Takeshi's Castle. Probably similar ride quality, too...

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
Which one is doing the C2 Longthorpe thing?

Adam Dowling

Which one is doing the C2 Longthorpe thing?

The "delightful" V141MVX (34141) is in use on the shuttles until evening, at which point a 53 plater Dart takes over due to it not being fitted with a driver screen.

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
The "delightful" V141MVX (34141) is in use on the shuttles until evening, at which point a 53 plater Dart takes over due to it not being fitted with a driver screen.

Ooooh - I've not been on 34141.  It is the first vehicle I am aware of to have physically lived two different places I've lived at the same time as me!  (It is petty to exempt E9xx KYR's for living in Guyhirn, but these things happen).  I also need it for haulage.  How long is the C2 excitement going on?  Do I need to hurry or will it still be in place on strike day (1st October)?

I'm suspecting Peterborough will see 2 out or 34097/102, 33305 and 34160 for these new contracts.  Possibly 3 of them, if we're being spoilt.  Can't decide which route the spare would stray on if there was on, probably 31/33?

Offline Steven Knight Media

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 351
34160 has been in use at Pboro on Longthorpe Shuttle. 34141 had been on loan to Northampton (along with 34098).

Adam Dowling

34160 has been in use at Pboro on Longthorpe Shuttle. 34141 had been on loan to Northampton (along with 34098).

Thanks Steve, got mixed up there. Not the nicest things in the world to travel on really.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:48:53 AM by G823UMU »

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
The PC2 Shuttle is planned until the end of the year, obviously subject to the duration of roadworks.
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 10:34:06 AM »
See this thread http://angliaandthamesvalleybusforum.com/index.php?topic=7118 and I will merge the two identical topics later. But small Darts apparently.

EDIT: Almost identical topics 7102 and 7118 (PCC and Enterprise boards) merged into one now
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:44:36 AM by Suzy Scott »
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

Offline H303CAV

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
looking at the 22 am I right in saying it is quicker than the 1 getting to werrington centre and would maxey be in the dayrider zone surly it should as market deeping used to be
Co owner of G661WMD F509NJE H303CAV

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
looking at the 22 am I right in saying it is quicker than the 1 getting to werrington centre and would maxey be in the dayrider zone surly it should as market deeping used to be

That remains to be seen.  The 22 is indeed quicker to Werrington than the citi 1.  I suspect walking is too, that said.

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You

3. Service 342 to run last time on Friday 27th September, Service 401/404 on Saturday 29th, and Services 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 413 and 71 to run for the last time on Monday 30th September. Is that correct?
Last day of operation of the Centrebus 413 is Saturday 28th September.  Which 71 are you referring to?

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
71 - Arthur Meadows VC to/from Queensgate via Werrington and Paston ?
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

RM471

Stagecoach preferred bidder to run Peterborough City Council's tendered bus rout
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »
Suzy, thanks for merging the threads. I hadn't seen Cheltonian's original post.

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
71 - Arthur Meadows VC to/from Queensgate via Werrington and Paston ?
In which case it wasn't funded by the council in the first place and is continuing as normal as the commercial service it is.  The 9, which did have some funding from PCC, will continue as is for the time being to see how it goes. I'm hopeful it will be able to stand alone without the need for any alterations (not that I get to make those decisions, those with money involved get to do that).

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
Thanks! Just mentioned as the 71 went missing from the Centrebus website during the summer holidays.
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

Offline H303CAV

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
I've heard 34141 and 34102 have arrived to take up these duties aswell as 34160
Co owner of G661WMD F509NJE H303CAV

Offline Cheltonian

• Thank You
In which case it wasn't funded by the council in the first place and is continuing as normal as the commercial service it is.  The 9, which did have some funding from PCC, will continue as is for the time being to see how it goes. I'm hopeful it will be able to stand alone without the need for any alterations (not that I get to make those decisions, those with money involved get to do that).

The only funding on Service 9 involved school journeys to/from Kings School. The afternoon journey from Kings used to interwork with 71 but 71 was operated commercially although some school pass holders are carried. The majority of pupils who travel on this service travel from Werrington, which is within the 3 mile limit of the school and so are not entitled to school passes.

Offline pbt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 21
    • Peterborough Bus Times
Last day of operation of the Centrebus 413 is Saturday 28th September.
Admitedly that's what it says on the Centrebus website, but the driver of the 413 today said he had been told the last day was Monday September 30th, in line with the other Local Link withdrawals. I have emailed Centrebus to check.

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
Admitedly that's what it says on the Centrebus website, but the driver of the 413 today said he had been told the last day was Monday September 30th, in line with the other Local Link withdrawals. I have emailed Centrebus to check.
Nope, last day of operation is Saturday 28th September, that is what I put on the cancellation sent to the TC which was accepted for that date and the 413 is not included in the new duties I have issued commencing 30th September for Melton.  Peterborough haven't contacted Centrebus to ask it to run for a further day and I'm not convinced we would if they asked.

Offline pbt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 21
    • Peterborough Bus Times
Very interesting! I'm glad I went on it yesterday then, as I'm away from Friday until the 28th.