Author Topic: Volvo Citybuses  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 19
Volvo Citybuses
« on: October 08, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »
Does anyone know what has happened to the remaining three Citybuses 38098, 38121/22 since the demise of First in Northampton?

Offline Dale

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Volvo Citybuses
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »
Well, Dennis, I can assure you that Leicester hasn't pinched them....... ;D

I'd guess that they're still in the garage/yard somewhere - 38122 managed to lose itself for weeks at a time even when it was supposed to be out and about !

Dale

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 10:08:24 PM »
Dale

Well that's nice to know as they pinched just about everything else worth having !! >:( >:( >:(

Offline David Hancock

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »
week last Friday they were still in the garage as was the bendi at the back and  2 unidentified Scanias

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 05:28:35 PM »
David

This morning I had a look in the yard at St. James and it is now completely empty so the three you mention have now been taken away.

I wondered if the Citybuses might still be in the garage but could not pluck up courage to try and see inside as I don't know whether there is any security on duty there.

Would be interesting to know how many of the withdrawn vehicles that were stored there left under their own power ! ??? ??? ???

Offline Cheltonian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 141
  • -Receive: 222
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 06:32:25 AM »
Does anyone have a breakdown on where the last vehicles allocated to Northampton went to please?
See my latest photo's on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheltonian1966/

Number of individual vehicles recorded as travelled on at end of July 2019 : 14,511

Celebrating over 57 years interest in Buses and Coaches

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 10:27:20 PM »
Does anyone have a breakdown on where the last vehicles allocated to Northampton went to please?

I think a few of the Scanias were sent to Clacton for further service.
East Londoner

Offline Laurence

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 05:59:21 PM »
On Nov 5th contractors were draining the St James` depot fuel tanks so the doors were open, and I managed to sneak a pic, viz. At least two of the three Citybuses visible, plus Lance 67252, the burned-out bendibus and several unidentified Scanias. Then I was summarily moved on! I expect the premises will shortly be visited by the good folk of PVS or Wigley`s, if not already.

I managed to get a poignant last ride on Citybus 38098 on the final day of route 4, and probably its last journey in public service - long-standing driver Sheila at the wheel. For a twenty-two year old bus that has never been rebuilt or refurbished it rode extremely well and was almost rattle-free. The interior was original and in good condition - see photo. This minority of one at least will be sad to see the old girl depart for Barnsley.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:12:31 PM by Laurence »

Offline Mutly

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 64
  • The Best Bus ever Built, Fact!!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
Unfortunately its Crank seized later that day and had to be towed back to the depot, it never  moved again.  :(

The other Two 38121/22,  i was told have been sold, but who to, i do not know

Offline Laurence

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 11:28:22 AM »
I`d dispute that, Mutly, since 98 was seen out on school runs between the end of the 4s and the school summer hols. I did speak to Sheila (who was doing one last round trip) a few weeks later and she certainly would have said if it broke down.  Maybe it failed on a schools run.

Offline Mutly

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 64
  • The Best Bus ever Built, Fact!!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 08:23:40 PM »
May be., just going on what i was told, so can't really answer.

Offline AN68

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 09:21:13 PM »
Laurence, I suspect Mutly may be correct, as the last day of the 4 was Saturday 10th August, well into the school holidays.

Offline grahamk48

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 06:13:56 PM »
65572 S572TPW was in service in Stoke last night

Offline Laurence

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 10:51:55 PM »
Laurence, I suspect Mutly may be correct, as the last day of the 4 was Saturday 10th August, well into the school holidays.
Mea culpa! My pics were taken on 8th June, the day before massive cutbacks, but the 4 did continue. The Citybuses were then restricted to sch which is where 98 probably met its fate. Despite numerous spare Scanias, 121 did escape back onto normal service on 2s on at least one occasion.

As a postscript to the view of St James, every bus in view had a windscreen sticker saying `UNFIT FOR SERVICE`.

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 10:07:47 PM »
I understand the three remaining Volvo Citybuses belonging to the late un-lamented First Northampton. have been sold.

It has long been the case that Wirst would not allow redundant vehicles to be sold to independents for further service so it would be very interesting to know to whom they have been sold.

I feel that 121 and 122 would have been fit for further service within the Wirst group, they used to transfer older vehicles than this to Northampton, so does anyone have any idea how we might be able to find out what has happened to these last traces of Northampton Transport, at present I assume the worst and they have gone for scrap.