Author Topic: Mill Road, Cambridge – Bus History  (Read 4989 times)

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2175
  • -Receive: 243
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Mill Road, Cambridge – Bus History
« on: November 08, 2013, 01:28:17 PM »
Dear Forum Members,

I have recently volunteered to be one of the Mill Road History Project’s unpaid researchers, the project having been awarded lottery funding.

I’ve already done some research on the 41 terraced houses in our cul-de-sac and a little on the factory which once existed at the end of the street and of the derelict workshops at the other. these I hope to pursue further, with the assistance of other volunteers.

My other interest in Mill Road is the history of its bus routes.

We have been served by Stagecoach’s citi 2 for some while now, albeit the route, to the north of the city centre, has changed a number of times. One iteration of the route went outbound via Union Lane and Milton Road, returning via Green End Road and Chesterton High Street; another did a circuit of the Science Park; Milton Village was the terminus for a long while; now the route has been truncated to the Science Park’s entry lay-by.

Initially, the citi 2 ran Mon-Sat, with (Myall’s?) 4A  (?) serving part of the route on the Sunday (under contract to ??).

Before the citi 2 I recall the Nº 8 and the Nº 4, but cannot recall which route replaced which, nor their destinations in either direction.

And, of course we have the 114, but what routes did it replace?

Still less can I recall any details of headway, hours and days of operation, typical vehicles, etc.

I am aware that there will be some photographs and other items in the Cambridgeshire Collection (upstairs in the Central Library, Cambridge).

Do you or a friend/relative:
  • have any photographs which you could share of bygone buses serving Mill Road/Romsey? have old timetables which could be scanned/photographed?
  • recall details of routes which served Mill Road/Romsey?
  • work on any of these buses as a conductor, driver or OPO/DOO driver?
  • recall any bus-related incidents on this route?
If so please feel free to post on this page, or to PM me, or both.

Many thanks,

Richard.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:32:44 PM by TCD813 »
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 176
    • The Wakefield Files
Re: Mill Road, Cambridge – Bus History
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 03:28:12 PM »
Going back to Ortona days service 2 served Mill Road
Eastern Counties served the road with 189 Cherry Hinton - Oakington, 190 Cherry Hinton - Bar Hill, 191 Cherry Hinton - Girton Corner One each per hour (I think) All from Bridewell Road.
There was also a limited around the back streets with a Ford Transit in 1978/9 which did not last long.
During the Cambus (pre Stagecoach era) they changed the route numbers every few months!
Have a look at my flickr site and if you seen any photos of interest call them up and I post them over to you.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr-bg/sets/72157625402703701/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr-bg/sets/72157622354434940/
HTH
Richard
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline busman

• Thank You
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »
Thinking back the 114 ran in from Newmarket coming up Mill Road during "Counties day" and I'm sure the 192/3 went up and down Mill Road as well ST Thomas Road to the Meadowlands via Ditton Fields/Whitehill Road

Offline Cheltonian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 146
  • -Receive: 240
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »
Don't forget that Millers of Cambridge also operated along Mill Road between 1988 and 1992 (197 City Centre - Adenbrookes). Initially it was operated by the Locomotors bodied Quest 80B's but these were later replaced by either Leyland Lynx's or Duple Dominant bus bodied Bedford YMT's. When Millers were taken over by Cambus Holdings (on 14 February 1992) the service was operated by Ford Transits 2035-2037 (C335-337SFL), until Cambus were able to de-register the service.
See my latest photo's on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheltonian1966/

Number of individual vehicles recorded as travelled on at end of March 2020 : 14,622

Celebrating over 57 years interest in Buses and Coaches

Offline busman

• Thank You
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 06:21:21 PM »
Don't forget that Millers of Cambridge also operated along Mill Road between 1988 and 1992 (197 City Centre - Adenbrookes). Initially it was operated by the Locomotors bodied Quest 80B's but these were later replaced by either Leyland Lynx's or Duple Dominant bus bodied Bedford YMT's. When Millers were taken over by Cambus Holdings (on 14 February 1992) the service was operated by Ford Transits 2035-2037 (C335-337SFL), until Cambus were able to de-register the service.
Forgot about that one. Good call

Offline bristolsrus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 274
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »
Think Millers also used OJD173R & OUC 54R, a pair of ex London Tranport DMS's on the 197,  as well as a trio of ex Metrobus, Orpington Wadham Stringer bodied Bedford YMT's  - D21-23CTR I think they were registered.  They may also have used the Plaxton Derwent bodied Ford's from the XNK...X batch on the route.

Chris

Offline asw909

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 10:40:54 AM »
Going back to Ortona days service 2 served Mill Road
Eastern Counties served the road with 189 Cherry Hinton - Oakington, 190 Cherry Hinton - Bar Hill, 191 Cherry Hinton - Girton Corner One each per hour (I think) All from Bridewell Road.
There was also a limited around the back streets with a Ford Transit in 1978/9 which did not last long.
During the Cambus (pre Stagecoach era) they changed the route numbers every few months!
Have a look at my flickr site and if you seen any photos of interest call them up and I post them over to you.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr-bg/sets/72157625402703701/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr-bg/sets/72157622354434940/
HTH
Richard

Aha - that answers a question I've wondered for a while. I remember - I lived in Bar Hill late 85-late 87 as a kid - that Cambus Nationals did the service that is nowadays the Citi5, but I couldn't remember the service number. 190 it was! Back then there was also the 151 (still a trunk route at the time, worked by VRs, as I recall) that called at Bar Hill, but I can't remember what the service out to Longstanton/Willingham was at the time. Can anyone help with that?

Offline busman

• Thank You
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »
Aha - that answers a question I've wondered for a while. I remember - I lived in Bar Hill late 85-late 87 as a kid - that Cambus Nationals did the service that is nowadays the Citi5, but I couldn't remember the service number. 190 it was! Back then there was also the 151 (still a trunk route at the time, worked by VRs, as I recall) that called at Bar Hill, but I can't remember what the service out to Longstanton/Willingham was at the time. Can anyone help with that?
156/7 I thinks

Offline dennisdart

• Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 544
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 02:50:17 PM »

Managed to dig this one out, taken in 1987. I also have a picture of a sister vehicle whilst with
Cavalier(Crutwell) of Ramsey.

Offline dennisdart

• Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 544
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 04:24:41 PM »
Think Millers also used OJD173R & OUC 54R, a pair of ex London Tranport DMS's on the 197,  as well as a trio of ex Metrobus, Orpington Wadham Stringer bodied Bedford YMT's  - D21-23CTR I think they were registered.  They may also have used the Plaxton Derwent bodied Ford's from the XNK...X batch on the route.

Chris

A picture of OUC54R -unfortunately not in service, but the blinds do say 197!

Offline alan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 08:28:01 PM »
Eastern Counties Service 102 St. Thomas's Rd. to Meadowlands ran along Mill Rd. Paul Carters books "Cambridge ! & 2 plus Mark Seals "Cambridge Buses" give greater detail.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2175
  • -Receive: 243
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 01:41:11 PM »
Return of the MANs to Mill Road (in animated cartoon form)!

Sam Motherwell published a limited-edition book, in Nov/Dec 2011, based on his ink-and-collage sketches of Mill Road, Cambridge. The bookmark, supplied with the book, was a print of his ink-and-collage sketch of a Stagecoach city 2 MAN.

The three videos, here, are Beta releases. (I was given a privileged preview of them in Alpha.)

For Forum members the Mill Road/Covent Garden junction with bus video will probably be of most interest. Typically the citi 2s are 'bunching' in this video!

This would explain the long wait for the intending passengers at Romsey Terrace bus stop.

Given the traffic jams in Cambrige, probably the best way to get around is by bike as this chap is doing, along Mill Road from Arjuna Wholefoods to Covent Garden.

The videos have been posted by Pamela Wesson, web mistress of Mill Road Bridges a volunteer group, the site for which Sam developed the animations, gratis.

For more of Sam Motherwell's work, visit Sam Motherwell's Homepage.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline robin pleasants

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »
Apologies if this rather comprehensive reply drags on a bit-but you did ask. When I joined Eastern Counties in 1963 Mill Road was served by many services in transit to many different parts of the city and one to the county,
Service 102 St Thomas Road to Meadowlands via Hobson Street, Newmarket Road and Whitehill Estate, operated by K5G class double deckers only as Hobson Street was restricted by the company to 7' 6" wide vehicles.
Service 133 Brooks Road to Keynes Road, running the same route as 102 except for Whitehill Estate and operated by the same vehicles as 102
Service 131, a service running from Drummer Street at 12 minute intervals, leaving Mill Road by Coleridge Road and terminating at three different points in Cherry Hinton, Colville Road, Church End and Rosemary Lane by the now demolished Rosemary Branch pub. this was normallyt operated by the wider KSWtype or FS type vehicles
Service 139 Brookfields to either Roseford Road, Histon Station or Impington via Burleigh Street and Fitzroy Street, now of course pedestrianised. Two single deck crewed LL5G normally operated this ervice although an occasional double decker did make an appearance.
You also mention Service 114, well in thoise days it was a rural service, only a handful of services a day running from Drummer Street to Newmarket via Mill Road, Coldhams Lane, Teversham, Fulbourn, The Wilbrahams, Six Mile Bottom and Stetchworth. This was operated by Newmarket outstation normally with LKD188, their lone double decker I believe.
Happy to share any more memories of this era regarding Cambridge operations with anyone. Hope this of some use.