Author Topic: More frequency improvements, and good PR  (Read 6200 times)

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 138
  • -Receive: 121

stagecoach106

Re: More frequency improvements, and good PR
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 02:12:04 PM »
*NOT HAPPY*
 stagecoach are running a service A at the same time as whippet's C at peak.  the 16:42 And 17:42 off histon to st ives

STAGEJOKES trying to get the  passangers off whippet AGAIN ???

Offline bristolsrus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 260
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 02:42:45 PM »
Not very happy to see Stagecoach egging passengers on to the busway from Godmanchester either.  That's the sort of tactic that could put the service through my village in jeopardy, if people decide to use the service to the Busway. I have no alternative methods of transport from where I live.  Not only can I not afford to live in a city or town, I can't drive either - due to medical issues.

ChrisB

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 03:52:57 PM »
Not very happy to see Stagecoach egging passengers on to the busway from Godmanchester either.  That's the sort of tactic that could put the service through my village in jeopardy, if people decide to use the service to the Busway. I have no alternative methods of transport from where I live.  Not only can I not afford to live in a city or town, I can't drive either - due to medical issues.

ChrisB

Although didn't the X14 provide a service from Godmanchester to the Science Park a few years back?
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 04:18:10 PM »
*NOT HAPPY*
 stagecoach are running a service A at the same time as whippet's C at peak.  the 16:42 And 17:42 off histon to st ives

It may be unfortunate, but realistically it is the case that Whippet are really a bit of an irrelevance on the Busway, and it is hard to see what purpose their Busway route serves.

The massive under capacity on the route has been there for all to see for a huge length of time (Stagecoach hardly had speedy reactions) and apparently it is the case that Whippet are just undercapitalised and unable to provide increased capacity.

Stagecoach will be running 111 buses a day to Cambridge on the busway, so it is likely some of them would be at similar times to Whippets 13 :-(

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 04:30:54 PM »

ChrisB

If it succeeds then the logical thing for Stagecoach to do (more As to Brampton and Godmanchester) is bad news for Whippet, and worse news for the Hemingfords.  When I lived in Huntingdon I used to have ten journey tickets for both Huntsbus and Whippet, and loved taking the morning peak bus via the Hemingfords.   Despite the circuitous route it was always very quick on account of the complete lack of a need to pick up passengers anywhere other than occasionally in Godmanchester.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1406
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »
*NOT HAPPY*

I'm afraid that this is what the OFT regard as 'healthy competition', Jamie.

I've just started a new thread – How can independents compete? to which I hope that members – especially Jamie, as I know he feels strongly about Whippet vis-à-vis the dominant position of Stagecoach – will contribute.

Edit: added link to new topic.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 05:34:53 PM by TCD813 »
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:53:40 PM »
New timetables and route maps (Company editions) at http://heretotherepublishing.com/blog/?p=1907
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

Offline bristolsrus

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »
Cheers for that link Suzy

I'd not managed to see a copy of the new timetables before now - so I didn't realise they were only doing one journey in each direction to & from Godmanchester - for some reason I just presumed they were doing more, dunno why.  If nothing else, Jamies's and my posts have stimulated a very interesting discussion :):)   I have got down off my soap box now LOL !!!

Regarding the X14 service you mentioned ( Huntingdon - St.Ives - Cambridge Science Park - that didn't go via Godmanchester, it went the other way - via Hartford & didn't touch Cambridge city centre at all, after leaving Bar Hill it went direct to Kings Hedges Road & the Science Park.  Both Whippet & later Huntingdon & District operated this journey  Whippet started operating it on 6th Sept 1999 in case you wondered !   

Chris B

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 09:45:35 PM »
I'd not managed to see a copy of the new timetables before now - so I didn't realise they were only doing one journey in each direction to & from Godmanchester - for some reason I just presumed they were doing more, dunno why. 

We are doing a new Cambs timetable book in the coming days/weeks (including all the February changes). I think we'd both find one of use  ;D  :D cause I'm lost as well.  ;D ;D ;D
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 09:49:56 PM »
Ah - I remember the withdrawal of the X14; the Peterborough paper reported it in a wonderfully contradictory way: http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/local/plans-to-axe-bus-route-will-hit-students-and-commuters-1-115352

"Popular bus service" "average of six passengers".

On a more serious note... what a difference a good bus service can make!  A few years ago it wasn't even worth subsidising 1 bus a day from St Ives to the Science Park... now there will be over 100 a day...  I wonder how many people would have used the X14 in 2006 if it had been half hourly.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 09:56:32 PM »
p.s. Re the Godmanchester possee - Service 7/476 timetable on the Whippet website doesn't mention the 476 to the Rail Station and Nokia (I forget the name of the) Industrial Park in the PM peak. Does this route still do this?
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 10:19:42 PM »
Traveline thinks a couple of journeys do.

Offline bristolsrus

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 10:23:54 PM »
The Rail Station is certainly still served by the 476 in the PM peak - and the timetable for it is on Traveline, and if you search for it by service number on the Whippet site, that will bring up the timetable too Suzy.   Hope this helps

ChrisB

Offline bristolsrus

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 10:26:53 PM »
I've seen the journeys for myself when coming back off a day in the capital, and often Volvo B10BLE  V293UVY & B7TL LN 51AZW can be found on the PM runs.   Just in case you're interested ladies & gents :):)

Chris

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 10:50:59 PM »
...if you search for it by service number on the Whippet site, that will bring up the timetable ...

Tried that but it's a dead link. I will add the 476 from Traveline, but is the 476 school bus still running? Traveline suggests it's not.
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK

Offline bristolsrus

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 11:00:37 PM »
I typed the 476 into the search engine box on Whippet's site & it took me to a link that was working.  The 476 school journey does still run. It might be listed on the 7 timetable perhaps ?

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 02:12:58 AM »
Looking at the timetable and noticing the peak As from Huntingdon that don't go through Oxmoor.  I think I remember that the services that miss out Ramsey Rd in St Ives started the same way; as a couple of buses at peak time, before becoming the standard. 

I wonder if this might happen with the services omitting Oxmoor.  I always thought that a better way of running the service might be to start in Oxmoor, come into the centre, and then go straight to St Ives.  Although journeys from Oxmoor to Cambridge would be longer, most people seemed to be travelling within Huntingdon, and finishing the route in Oxmoor would give the bus an opportunity to visit the estate more "thoroughly"!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1406
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 09:26:05 AM »
Looking at the timetable and noticing the peak As from Huntingdon that don't go through Oxmoor.  I think I remember that the services that miss out Ramsey Rd in St Ives started the same way; as a couple of buses at peak time, before becoming the standard. 

I wonder if this might happen with the services omitting Oxmoor.  I always thought that a better way of running the service might be to start in Oxmoor, come into the centre, and then go straight to St Ives.  Although journeys from Oxmoor to Cambridge would be longer, most people seemed to be travelling within Huntingdon, and finishing the route in Oxmoor would give the bus an opportunity to visit the estate more "thoroughly"!

That would also fit the 'standard' SiC service pattern for town-to-town services – a long, reasonably direct route with a twiddly bit at the end. (cf 13 in Haverhill, 26 in Royston)
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.