Author Topic: Greyfriars to North Gate Bus stations  (Read 25605 times)

Offline Stonechat

• Thank You
  • -Given: 278
  • -Receive: 125
Re: Greyfriars bus station
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 10:33:51 AM »
Buses, passengers etc have little to do with this.

This is a classic case of disposing of publicly-owned assets (in this case Greyfriars Bus Station) to the private sector so that they can better exploit their foot-loose cash. No doubt some form of lubrication will have been used to ease the scheme through the Council.

The "public interest" does not come into this, as yesterday so vividly showed.

Tony

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2092
  • -Receive: 236
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 10:42:42 AM »
Anybody know how the bus jams are going today?
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline Jamie V (AO02RBX)

• Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 28
    • Jimbosbus Flickr
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 04:34:17 PM »
If the iPhone is working up to speed, compared to yesterday we don't have reg lines down Greyfriars! So hopefully things are better!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 05:19:07 PM »
If the iPhone is working up to speed, compared to yesterday we don't have reg lines down Greyfriars! So hopefully things are better!

Huh??

What's the significance of the map?

Am I missing something, Jamie?

Please help: my brain is old and a little bit frayed!

TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
Re: Greyfriars to North Gate Bus stations
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 05:25:35 PM »
Hi, folks.

Excuse my arrogance, but I've just merged two topics.

Formerly labelled: 'Greyfriars Bus Station' and 'North Gate Bus Station'.

There were posts about the new set-up on the old station and there were…

Well you get the drift and they're all together now.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:27:38 PM by TCD813 »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 05:32:51 PM »
Cause of bus chaos was “sudden increase in traffic and phasing of traffic lights” according to the Northampton Chronicle & Echo.

So now we know. Hmm…

Quote from: Chronicle & Echo 04 March 2014 07:19
Immediate actions taken last night include:

- Creating a new road layout at the junction of College Street and Bradshaw Street, to ensure that buses leaving North Gate are given priority

- Police officers and parking enforcement officers will have a high profile presence around the town centre to enforce the existing traffic regulations

- These include no vehicles except buses and taxis are permitted to use the Drapery, and no vehicles except buses should be travelling north from Sheep Street to turn into Lady’s Lane

- A yellow box junction will be created at the junction of Bradshaw Street and Sheep Street to stop vehicles blocking the junction

- Yellow box junction will be created at the top of Sheep Street junction with Greyfriars travelling north as a priority

- If time overnight, a yellow box junction will be created at the junction of Sheep Street and Greyfriars westbound

- Both the traffic lights and pedestrian crossings in Bradshaw Street, Sheep Street and the junction with the Drapery will be monitored throughout the day

Full article

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 131
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 08:09:33 AM »
Anybody know how the bus jams are going today?
From Reports the emergency measures taken appear to have relieved the worst of it though concerns still exist at how close to capacity the whole system is and how much more it can take before it grinds to a halt again.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 08:26:44 AM »
[...] concerns still exist at how close to capacity the whole system is and how much more it can take before it grinds to a halt again.

What will happen if Stagecoach develop their (now more-or-less) uncontested network in Northampton, in the same way as they have in Cambridge and in Peterborough? Could the infrastructure cope with increased frequencies?

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 10:00:35 AM »
Forgot to mention…

A very full report last night on ITV Anglia, including an interview with Dennis's least-favourite local politico.

Asked about the cost to local taxpayers of the overnight emergency meeting and road-works, 'BigMac' gave a classic waffly answer about how they will be examining the costs going forward. Put that through the BS filter/translator and it comes out as: "We haven't got a flipping clue, mate."

Not sure if the programme is still available on the ITV player.

There was also an update on BBC Look East (west version) which might be around for 24 hours.

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 10:17:55 AM »
TCD813

No words can adequately describe my personal feelings towards that man other to say that if he is to be allowed to carry on unchecked he will ruin this town where I have lived my entire life, he is definitely in my opinion the worst thing to have happened to Northampton.

We have had some idiots on the Council in the past but he is in a class of his own!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Dale

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »
Dennis

I wish you'd say what you really mean rather than continually sit on the fence........

::)

Dale

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2014, 04:45:43 PM »
Dale

Thought I had !!!

Anyway what are your thoughts on this debacle, please tell !! ;D ;D ;D

marlow1992

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 01:11:37 AM »
What will happen if Stagecoach develop their (now more-or-less) uncontested network in Northampton, in the same way as they have in Cambridge and in Peterborough? Could the infrastructure cope with increased frequencies?

the Peterborough network is lessening, January 2013 we had 8 Citi routes, now we are down to 6, and the rural services are gradually getting less and less. the only thing in the last few years to expand the Stagecoach Peterborough network has been the routes introduced since the Local Link services got cut, and those 3 routes operate with 2 buses between all 3 of them all day.

Offline Dale

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 06:44:35 AM »
Dale

Thought I had !!!

Anyway what are your thoughts on this debacle, please tell !! ;D ;D ;D

Dennis,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get down there until next week so will, presumably, only see the perfect finished result..........

Dale     :)

Offline Andyb1965

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 5

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 228
  • -Receive: 447
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2014, 05:50:22 PM »
The song certainly is creative! I really liked it.

David
My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2014, 07:03:02 AM »
The song certainly is creative! I really liked it.
David

Same here. I forwarded the URL to my daughter, who lives in Northampton.

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
Greyfriars will start to disappear imminently, it seems. I won't miss it, but then I remember being sad to see Derngate go (and the cafe between the inbound and outbound roads where you could sit and watch all variety of Bristols plying in and out)...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-26936810

Offline bmnpton

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-28078297

As local resident i'm not surprised see its happened again. Cheers council , you haven't given us a bus station we want other than it being modern looking!

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »
When will this idiot Mackintosh admit that he has made a monumental mistake in forcing this so-called bus station on the people of Northampton?

Each time there is a traffic snarl up there is yet another excuse for it but NEVER does he or anyone else on the Council admit that the position and size of the so-called bus station is to be blame.

Before the first foundations were laid he was told by people far better qualified to judge than him that the old Fishmarket was not the right place and that it was much too small to accomodate all services, but would he listen, NO OF COURSE HE WOULDN'T.

This was his pet project and no one was going to deter him from seeing it go ahead, now we are seeing the folly of this edifice, and this can only get worse.

The  solution is to dispose of the Northgate bus station and build another one fit for purpose on the site of the old Greyfriars bus station, we never had such problems with Greyfriars and a new one built on the same site would solve the traffic problems caused by Northgate.

May as well build on the Greyfriars sie as L&G will never develop the Grosvenor centre.

Offline AndrewHA

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »
Ah yes , but all Councillors etc like leaving a " vanity project " , so they can be remembered by the people of the Town / City .
Andrew HA.

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2014, 03:36:25 PM »
Mackintosh will certainly be remembered for the bus stsation disaster and all the other disasters he has forced upon the people of Northampton that they did not need or want!!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline bmnpton

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2014, 03:37:23 PM »
When will this idiot Mackintosh admit that he has made a monumental mistake in forcing this so-called bus station on the people of Northampton?

Each time there is a traffic snarl up there is yet another excuse for it but NEVER does he or anyone else on the Council admit that the position and size of the so-called bus station is to be blame.

Before the first foundations were laid he was told by people far better qualified to judge than him that the old Fishmarket was not the right place and that it was much too small to accomodate all services, but would he listen, NO OF COURSE HE WOULDN'T.

This was his pet project and no one was going to deter him from seeing it go ahead, now we are seeing the folly of this edifice, and this can only get worse.

The  solution is to dispose of the Northgate bus station and build another one fit for purpose on the site of the old Greyfriars bus station, we never had such problems with Greyfriars and a new one built on the same site would solve the traffic problems caused by Northgate.

May as well build on the Greyfriars sie as L&G will never develop the Grosvenor centre.

Dennis , I agree with you all the way.  Inclined to do a petition have a new bus station where Greyfriars was !
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:39:52 PM by bmnpton »

Offline chopper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »
I would sign it.

Does Northampton want to attract people to visit or not. I suspect the latter.

Offline benwesley123

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2014, 04:30:32 PM »
I'll sign it too if you get on up and running!! Meddling Mackintosh has done TOO much damage to Northampton, it's about time others apart from him, have a real say on it.... A new bus station on the old site would be fantastic, but he's already got his own way and the others just agree with Mackintosh.....
Ben Wesley

Taking pictures here and there! Back again after a very long hiatus!
Out and about in Northamptonshire!

Founder and Chief Admin on Buses in Northamptonshire Past and Present page on Facebook!

Please check me out on Flickr for my photo collection: (bexxy321)

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2014, 06:06:15 PM »
BMNPTON

I would certainly sign a petition if one was started.

My only thought is would a petition achieve anything, this B....Y council led like sheep by Mackintosh would no doubt not even consider it.

Whilst this tin pot dictator is allowed to ride roughshod over the people of Northampton's wishes to achieve his own ambitions nothing can be done about the glorified bus stop at the top of the Drapery.

What is needed above all else is to rid ourselves of this lot entirely and elect another council who hopefully will listen to the people of Northampton, after we live here and we DO count!!!!

Offline bmnpton

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2014, 08:52:26 PM »
I have set up a e-petitions on the HM Government website, just have to wait for them to approve of this but have mentioned we want a new bus station built on the old Greyfiars site & Northgate to close!

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2014, 09:44:29 PM »
BMNPTN

GREAT !!!!!!

Let,s  hope there are plenty of signatures (mine will be one of the  first), let us know when the E-petition is up and running.

Offline bmnpton

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »
BMNPTON
Thanks for organising the petition, I have already signed it.

Do you think it would help if you drew attention to it by talking to the C&E?