Author Topic: Greyfriars to North Gate Bus stations  (Read 25577 times)

Offline chopper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 33
Re: Greyfriars to North Gate Bus stations
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2014, 02:19:16 PM »
Duly signed

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2072
  • -Receive: 236
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »
Good luck to you! I'll stay out, though, as I'm not a Northampton resident.

One thought that comes to mind regarding bus provision is the reputation that Stagecoach have for putting serious effort into growing the ridership. (That's certainly true here, in Cambridge.) Some growth can be absorbed when buses fill to standing capacity, but overdo that and passengers will find other modes when they can; some can be catered for by moving from single- to double-deck operations (as many Cambridge citi routes have) but it's lower headway that really brings passenger growth – whilst increasing capacity – where potential demand exists.

Here, in Cambridge, space for buses is incredibly tight but it's hard to expand provision: no-one's going to demolish any part do any college for a new bus station, and just try proposing shaving a few centimetres off the edge of open space!

In Northampton, by contrast, alongside some very fine buildings, there's a surfeit of life-expired, grotty buildings which could make way for bus provision. So, no excuse!

Regards,

Richard.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline bmnpton

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2014, 03:21:49 PM »
BMNPTON
Thanks for organising the petition, I have already signed it.

Do you think it would help if you drew attention to it by talking to the C&E?

I think we to first need to use social media before hand, try get a bigger figure in terms of people who agree with suggestion, before going to them. Thanks for baking my idea on this folks ,

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2014, 05:11:44 PM »
BMNPTON
I suggested going to the C&E as there are probably many people who do not know or read our website but would sign the petition if they knew about.

Offline bmnpton

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2014, 09:25:04 PM »
BMNPTON
I suggested going to the C&E as there are probably many people who do not know or read our website but would sign the petition if they knew about.

Will once got a high amount of signatures signed on it ! Quick question do you run the Facebook page Memories of Greyfriars bus station ?

Offline AN68

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2014, 09:39:40 PM »
Just added my signature

Offline John

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2014, 02:39:45 PM »
Where are the Inspectors located that used to be at the booth at bay 7 of the old bus station? Do they now work from the depot?

Offline Leyland L60

• Thank You
  • -Given: 273
  • -Receive: 80
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2014, 09:59:05 PM »
        John  -  the duty inspectors are based in the Information Kiosk in North Gate, but are much more mobile than they used to be as they have to oversee the Drapery as well as North Gate.

Offline benwesley123

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
Signed it, hope someone listens!!!
Ben Wesley

Taking pictures here and there! Back again after a very long hiatus!
Out and about in Northamptonshire!

Founder and Chief Admin on Buses in Northamptonshire Past and Present page on Facebook!

Please check me out on Flickr for my photo collection: (bexxy321)

Offline billnick's daughter

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »
Don't even get me started? 

Mum and I were in town on Saturday when the chaos happened (ironically on a walking tour of the town centre which started with a story of a couple who met at the Derngate Bus Station). 

This was going to be a disaster to start with but the idiot that is David Mackintosh doesn't care what people say about him or what people think.  I have signed the petition but I honestly believe that until he is out of office next year nothing will happen. 

I can hear Dad looking down, laughing and saying I told you so!!!

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2014, 05:34:51 PM »
billnicks daughter

I used to call in to see your dad whenever I was in town and  he would give me any bus information he had heard or picked up,

GREAT character he was and a Great loss.

As for your comments about Mackintosh (or Mackintoss as someone called him in the C&E today), if he knew or cared what people said about him I think he would be sadly disillusioned.

He will not listen to anyone else's views, if he had the Northgate abortion would never have been built but he expects the people of this town to meekly accept his projects without question when anything he does is for his own advancement, just remember that despite all the objections he is still going ahead with the re-opening of Abington Street.

Wait until that happens and the extra traffic from Wellington Street added to the chaos we already have, also wait until the winter when people have to queue in all weathers on the street for buses when before they could wait in dry warm conditions.

Greyfriars was ideal and could have remained had it not been for those B----Y councillors refusing to give it proper maintenance !!!!

Offline chopper

• Thank You
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2014, 06:50:10 PM »
Is there any possibility of proving misuse of public funds in the closure of Greyfriars and the opening of Northgate which is not fit for purpose? Alternatively Northgate can be used by transport planning students as a case study of how not to site and build a bus station.

Offline bmnpton

• Thank You
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »
Thanks to everyone so far there is 20 signatures have shared this on Facebook but please escalate if you agree.

Offline chopper

• Thank You
Re: Greyfriars to North Gate Bus stations and back again?
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2014, 05:03:17 PM »
Interesting thoughts arise out of L & G pulling out of the Greyfriars Bus Station redevelopment. I being to close Northgate and use a modernised Greyfrriars site which is what should have been done in the first place.

Can't see any other developer coming in now that Rushden Lakes has been approved.

Interesting times ahead I think.

Offline benwesley123

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2014, 06:18:44 PM »
Totally agree, it's a big site which well of course can cater for all the urban and interurban services, try telling that to the people who know it's right and are very much too ashamed to actually come out and say that Northgate Bus Station was Northampton's biggest ever mistake.

Take for instance:

When crossing roads at Northgate, it's downright more dangerous than Greyfriars and Derngate before that.

You was able to be under shelter at Greyfriars whilst waiting for (i.e Service 1 to Rectory Farm) knowing that you would not get wet and cold like the Drapery and god only knows what this winter is going to be like....

Passengers were able to freely walk around, not bunched up like you are at Northgate.

Have to watch to see if buses go through red lights (last time I was there I counted 11 buses went through red lights...)

The travel shop/outlet with the previous shop at Greyfriars, at least you could browse and pick the timetable you want, instead you have to wait something like 10 minutes just to get one timetable which you don't need and less helpful unlike Greyfriars, Where I knew most of the staff anyway.

The bedlam it's caused the town, 2 hour queues on opening day, queuing again last Saturday 6/7/2014.

So.

Is it about time the people who are responsible for all this mess just hold their hands up and say it's one great disaster.

Ben Wesley

Taking pictures here and there! Back again after a very long hiatus!
Out and about in Northamptonshire!

Founder and Chief Admin on Buses in Northamptonshire Past and Present page on Facebook!

Please check me out on Flickr for my photo collection: (bexxy321)

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2014, 05:44:17 PM »
Now that the little fat dictator has terminated the agreement with L&G over the Greyfriars site, he has no excuse for not building a more modern and pleasing to the eye bus station that is fit for purpose and big enough to accomodate all services on the site.

This should be a prime requirement for any new developer but knowing Mackintoss he will build anything there rather than a new bus station as that would mean admitting that the shed on the Fishmarket is a failure and that would deflate his already over-inflated ego.

That is something he would never do !!!!!!!

Offline AE51VFX (Jonny)

• Thank You
  • -Given: 279
  • -Receive: 70
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/big_john_bus_spoter/
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »
This was in the Northampton newspaper about the new National Express terminal now that the new Northgate bus station has open.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/national-express-terminal-in-northampton-comes-under-fire-for-lack-of-facilities-1-6179463
Please feel free to have a look at my photos on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/big_john_bus_spoter/

Offline Stamford

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2014, 01:01:29 AM »
No facilities at Cambridge for National Express or Stagecoach limited stop services apart from a few bus shelters and a taxi rank.  The only local buses that stop in the same street are the Busway A to St.Ives and the City Sightseeing open-top tour although some local, rural and Park & Ride services use the road but don't stop.  Nearest toilets are 200m across Parkers Piece or a similar distance away at the bus station.  Town centre is over half a mile away, although nearest shopping centre is only a couple of hundred metres away in the other direction!  I don't envy visitors arriving/departing by coach at Cambridge at all!

Offline passenger933

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 29
  • Not 933, but twin sister 934.
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »
You begin to realise how much Northampton bus users have been short-changed by, when you consider that the cost of Northgate was approx. £7 million.

Then compare that with the quoted estimated costs for proposed new bus stations/interchanges/whatever, in the Greater Manchester area, according to an article in the latest "Buses" mag.....

Stockport £41.8 m
Ashton £32.7 m
Wigan (enhancement of existing facility) £15.7m
Farnworth £39.7m

Obviously the size of the town and the surrounding area served has to be taken into account when making these comparisons, but even so, it makes Northampton seem like a very poor relation indeed.

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2014, 06:06:51 PM »
.If anyone wants a good laugh read on.

The fat controller Mackintoss now says that a heating system for the disaster on the Fishmarket is due to be installed in the autumn  so that will be more of our money being thrown at this dump as they will need new doors to eliminate the cracks through which the heat will escape.

HOW IS THAT GOING TO HELP THE POOR SOULS WHO WILL HAVE TO QUEUE IN ALL WEATHERS IN THE OPEN IN THE DRAPERY?

That man really does not have a clue and STILL won't admit it.

Offline David Hancock

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2014, 06:44:03 PM »
Dennis i had the displeasure today of having to catch a 38 bus in there today .i had 10 mins to wait and it was like a sauna. its a wonder people who have to wait long times dont collapse. next time i'll go into Kettering Road .

Offline Dennis Lloyd

• Thank You
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2014, 09:16:47 PM »
David

I can claim to be one of the people who has not set foot in the place since it opened in March and have no intention of doing so.

As my service has been consigned to the open air I have no need to enter that abortion of a place.

Offline David Hancock

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2014, 07:27:28 AM »
as i live in Duston i usually use the 9/9a or 5 i dont go in there much either . the one thing with the new layout that annoys me is that i can catch the 9/9a or 5 but they are at opposite ends of the drapery. who every planned where the routes would stop had no idea either. it would have made more sense if routes for the same area were together.

Offline bmnpton

• Thank You
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2014, 08:29:45 AM »
They revised the date on the petition now till end of  March 2015 , 33 signatures. Suspose it won't be long till the infamous Northgate is in the paper yet again, be fun and games when it gets cold!

Offline AE51VFX (Jonny)

• Thank You
  • -Given: 279
  • -Receive: 70
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/big_john_bus_spoter/
Please feel free to have a look at my photos on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/big_john_bus_spoter/

Offline bmnpton

• Thank You
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2014, 09:34:53 PM »
As a local resident i did hear about this , i wasn't able to go but still regarding my petition (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/66979 as posted earlier in the thread) but personally its not a surprise got 34 sigs