Author Topic: CCC's Transport Wishlist for 2017 to late 2020s  (Read 2353 times)

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 135
  • -Receive: 113
CCC's Transport Wishlist for 2017 to late 2020s
« on: April 10, 2014, 01:51:04 AM »
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Well-build-Chisholm-trail-cycle-route-through-Cambridge-by-2017-Cambridgeshire-County-Council-says-20140409062900.htm

Lots of busways in the list, and while my heart yearns for a tram reality tells me that the first busway has been a great success, and would have perhaps been a complete success if it had been built by another contractor!

– Newmarket Road bus priority / busway; 2022; £43m
– Milton Road bus lanes: 2018; £16m
– West Cambridge bus priority measures; 2018; £25m
– Hills Road improvements; 2019; £25m
– New and expanded Newmarket Road park and ride site; 2023; £12m
– Histon Road bus priority; 2018; £3m
– Orbital bus link from Addenbrooke’s to Newmarket Road; 2025; £13m
– Orbital bus link from Newmarket Road to Cambridge Science Park station; 2025; £40m
– Orbital bus link from Madingley Road to Trumpington; 2025; £TBC
– Chisholm trail cycle route; 2017; £8m
– Hauxton park and ride site; 2021; £12m
– A1307 bus priority; 2020; £25m
– Park and ride sites on A1307; 2020; £5m
– Waterbeach station relocation; mid to late 2020s; £25m
– Waterbeach busway; mid to late 2020s; £32m
– A10 park and ride site; mid to late 2020s; £8m
– A10 capacity improvements; mid to late 2020s; £45m
– Milton interchange improvements; mid to late 2020s; £40m
– Cambourne bus links; 2021; £20m
– A428 park and ride sites; 2017; £8m

One of the things that confuses me is that while these are supposed to be things to support new development in Cambridge some of them appear to be for existing / under construction developments and to ignore the proposed ones.  For example the orbital bus links would go from Orchard Park (effectively, as that bit's already built) to the Science Park, to Newmarket Rd, to Addenbrooke's, to Trumpington is already built, and to Madingley.  The only places left out something to support new developments are the biggest of them; West Cambridge and Darwin Green!

Read more: http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambridge/Well-build-Chisholm-trail-cycle-route-through-Cambridge-by-2017-Cambridgeshire-County-Council-says-20140409062900.htm#ixzz2yRJDJZR9

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1176
  • -Receive: 186
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Re: CCC's Transport Wishlist for 2017 to late 2020s
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:16:22 AM »
Stage One:
New bus route through Cambridge to Addenbrooke's planned after 1,000 sign petition
This was discussed last Thursday (10/04/14) at Cambridge's East Area Committee meeting, a joint, public meeting of city and county councillors representing the eastern wards of the city.

Quote from: CHRIS HAVERGAL, Cambridge News, 05:00 Saturday 12 April 2014
[…]
Marshall Group has offered some funding to trial a link from Newmarket Road park and ride site to the hospital via Barnwell Road and Perne Road, and councillors have said they would be prepared to offer some support too.
Cllr Joan Whitehead, who represents Abbey on Cambridgeshire County Council, told the east area committee that the route would be of “great benefit to the local community”.
In a report to the committee, she said: “The value of such a bus service is twofold: it will allow those who work at Addenbrooke’s and who come into the Cambridge from the east to use the Newmarket Road Park and Ride to get to the hospital; secondly it will provide a much-needed direct bus route to Addenbrooke’s for the residents of the Barnwell area of the city.
[…]
Cllr Whitehead said Marshall had been in discussion with Stagecoach and that the bus operator had agreed to run the bus on a three-month trial, for an estimated cost of £50,000.
It had been hoped that Addenbrooke’s would contribute towards the trial, but Cllr Whitehead told the meeting that hospital bosses had declined.
She said other options included running a minibus service, which would cost about £20,000 for three months*, and diverting the service so it could serve sixth-form colleges.
Councillors said they would be prepared to provide some money in the hope the bus service could be self-sufficient after the initial three months.

Click for full article

My own, supplementary, recollections of the meeting follow:

Councillors also suggested:
  • that alternative potential operators to Stagecoach also be approached
  • that Sainsbury's be approached to offer funding as the service would stop, on Brooks Road at their Coldham's Lane store.

*Responding to the suggestion of a minibus, Cllr Sarah Brown, Petersfield, insisted that any vehicle used should be fully accessible.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:25:14 PM by TCD813 »
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 135
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
Interesting route - hope it works out!

Do we know what sort of frequency was being talked about?

Good of Marshall's to offer subsidy as I'm not sure it has massive benefits to their staff (it might be more beneficial if it started from Babraham or Trumpington before Addenbrooke's?).

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1176
  • -Receive: 186
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »
Interesting route - hope it works out!

Do we know what sort of frequency was being talked about?

Good of Marshall's to offer subsidy as I'm not sure it has massive benefits to their staff (it might be more beneficial if it started from Babraham or Trumpington before Addenbrooke's?).

Afraid this wasn't mentioned.

This is all the detail which I have at the moment from
Agenda
East Area Committee
Thursday, 10th April, 2014 7.00 pm

Quote from: Agenda East Area Committee

agendum 6
Bus to Addenbrookes from the Newmarket Road Park and Ride via Abbey Ward
Discussion item brought forward by County Councillor Whitehead.

Quote from: agendum 6 PDF
Bus Service from Newmarket Road Park and Ride via Abbey ward to Addenbrooke's

Jonathan Barker of Marshalls is in discussions with Stagecoach about a bus service from the Newmarket Road Park and Ride Site to Addenbrooke's Hospital which would go along the Newmarket Road, down Barnwell Road and along Perne Road to Addenbrookes. The value of such a bus service is twofold: it will allow those who work at
Addenbrookes and who come into the Cambridge from the East to use the Newmarket Road Park and Ride to get to the hospital; secondly it will provide a much needed direct bus route to Addenbrookes for the residents of the Barnwell area of the city.

The Councillors of Abbey ward have for some time been campaigning for a direct bus service to Addenbrooke's from the Barnwell area and have collected over 1,000 signatories on a petition for such a service. There seems little doubt therefore that such a bus service would be both welcome and used.

Stagecoach have agreed to run a bus for a three month trial period on the above route if such a trial can be funded – the cost is estimated as £50,000. Marshalls have agreed to find some of the funding and hope that Addenbrooke's and Stagecoach itself will also be willing to provide some funds.

It would clearly help the trial become a reality if the East Area Committee were able to help with an offer of some finding from with the resources available to it. The purpose of this brief paper, therefore, is to ask whether or not the Committee feels that supporting such a trial would be an appropriate use of 106 development funds.
There is no doubt that a direct bus service to Addenbrookes as described as above would be of great benefit to the local community.

Cllr Joan Whitehead
Abbey Ward.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 527
    • ScotBus
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 07:14:40 PM »
A lot of the stuff in question seems "peh in the skey".

£2million for bus lanes in Milton Road - don't they already exist?

Aah well they've done the work for the consultants, in digging up all the weird ideas they will need feasilibilitiy studies to decide that nothing is needed.... I've never actually asked how much of CCC's idea budget ends up in consultants, but in other areas it can vary from 10 to over 50 per cent.

The best one was a feasibility study up north.. for something already open and popular, to the point where the study said "nah. Now what aboot my fee?"...
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 527
    • ScotBus
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:16:18 PM »
£2million for bus lanes in Milton Road - don't they already exist?

I've mis-quoted - £16 MILLION.....

... for putting in a lane on the other side of the road?
... for CPO's?

... or will this become part of The Busway? #consultantssaykerching
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending